• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Burning oil, low acceleration power, low compression, underboost P0299, occasional misfire

Regal 15

Buick Ownership
2015 buick regal premium 2.0 turbo
Hey FOLKS.15 REGAL here.
Recently I lost a lot of power upon acceleration and received an underboost condition. After inspection I noticed the pcv hose appeared to leak some oil. I replaced the pcv hose assembly which seemed to help a little at first but then the P0299 returned. After this happened, I received low engine oil indication and had a loss of acceleration power. I pulled over, checked the oil which was low, and filled the oil back up. (no additional check engine lights at this point).
I noticed the engine is still burning oil especially when in cruise control. I noticed a cloud of white smoke after coming out of cruise control but not since. I got a misfire indication as well I then replaced all ignition coils and plugs. Have not received another misfire code but still poor acceleration and the engine began to stall at stoplights. I drove it to the shop and they are saying I have a low compression ~65psi on cylinders 2 and 4. They claim the engine needs a rebuild and quoted 10k for the work. I'm no expert but that seems excessive by about double. They also refuse to let me speak to the tech about any other testing performed. So I'm not sure yet in coolant leaked into the oil or anything really outside the compression tests.
Can low compression be caused by a failed turbo?
Can this be a blown head gasket? Can a turbo cause a blown HG?
Before I press with an engine disassembly, are there any other checks/tests I can do or any commonalities to these issues?
Any specific questions I should be asking the tech providing I get the opportunity?
Thanks for any advice in advance..

ken4

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
Sounds like the usual piston failure that is associated with low compression. For 10 grand that should be a brand new engine and not a rebuilt one.

Regal 15

Buick Ownership
Man, that would be a bummer. I was thinking it might be the turbo sending oil into the engine.
And yeah I agree about the 10k, the dealership I took it to does not seem to be a trustworthy place.
At no time during this fiasco did my engine over heat so I was hoping I avoided engine damage. I was told no coolant was found in the oil either. Running some more tests this weekend for emissions gas in the coolant.

G-202355

Sorry but same happened me 2015 regal turbo. Busted piston. Scored cylinder. $8k later as good as new

Regal 15

Buick Ownership
Well that's terrible news. Mechanic came back and found a ton of oil being dumped into the intake from the turbo. I'm pretty sure the turbo is toast.
Also a spark plug was somehow damaged and not firing which was most likely causing some low compression on cylinder 3. Not sure how that happened and they weren't that old (replaced last year). I'm hoping getting the turbo fixed coupled with the spark plug repair may help.
They scoped the cylinder and didn't see any major damage.
The car never over heated and there weren't any major error indications. But damn does it feel like this thing was designed to collapse as soon as the warranty ended.
I'll follow up if anything comes from those repairs.

ken4

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
Well that's terrible news. Mechanic came back and found a ton of oil being dumped into the intake from the turbo. I'm pretty sure the turbo is toast.
Also a spark plug was somehow damaged and not firing which was most likely causing some low compression on cylinder 3. Not sure how that happened and they weren't that old (replaced last year). I'm hoping getting the turbo fixed coupled with the spark plug repair may help.
They scoped the cylinder and didn't see any major damage.
The car never over heated and there weren't any major error indications. But damn does it feel like this thing was designed to collapse as soon as the warranty ended.
I'll follow up if anything comes from those repairs.
How many miles on the engine?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ebwregal

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal Turbo AWD
Sorry Regal 15, your in for a painful experience. My 2015 just failed @ 38 k miles. Same symptoms as you. 6 months out of warranty. Buick said good luck sucker. $7400k later and new engine. But new engine has not been improved expect failure again.