Buy a new or used 2019?

Maybee

Buick Ownership
WantEncore
Hello, first post here, but I have done extensive lurking.

I've wanted an Encore for ages and have decided to make the jump. That being said, I only want one with the 153 hp LE2 engine. For whatever reason these seem to be rare. My current car has a screaming 110hp and is starting to scare me on the highway with it's lack of acceleration (115 # torque whoot!) I don't want to find myself in that situation again.

I have two possibilities. A 2019 Essence CPO with less than 8000 miles. I was ready to buy but the sales ding-a-ling was extremely resistant to an independent inspection. He told me if I didn't buy the car the 'manager' wanted to raise the price the next day. I passed on the car, and they did so, although now the internet listed price is less than when I looked at it two months ago.

I could talk to them again and see if they've decided they actually want to sell the car. Still, I am suspicious of them. My sales experience there lacked only a polyester plaid suit.

The second option: Another dealership has several NEW 2019 Essence with the LE2 engine, but they are listed for $33,000.

The NEW ones would have the warranty intact (I know to check) which is longer than the used/CPO. Since they are now 2 year old models, shouldn't they be willing to knock quite a bit off that price? There are no dealer incentives, probably because the cars are older.

I know the 2021 encores now have an engine that rates 155hp and the deals are pretty good on them now. BUT my instinct is to buy used get more car for less money, and the new 2021's are basically stripped. They don't have heated seats (apparently you can't get them on the Encore anymore?!) I live in a colder climate and would really love to have them and all the bells and whistles on the 2019 Essence, especially the higher HP.

Which option would you choose? If the new one, what would you offer for it? I haven't bought a car in 12 years. Any advice appreciated.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
CPO all the way. It gives an extra year warranty and is better equipped. What is the price difference?

Maybee

Buick Ownership
WantEncore
They are asking 23 before all the taxes etc. The cars are identically equipped. The NEW 2019 Encore has all the same bells and whistles, except for parking sensors.

Used 2019 Essence CPO for 23
NEW 2019 Essence they are asking 33

Thanks.

Maybee

Buick Ownership
WantEncore
Wouldn't they be willing to sell it for less, than 28 since the 2021's are in? They have several and they've been on the lot for months. I suppose there is only one way to find out!

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Pretty sure you can get that New 2019 Essence for 28 if you talk to the right guy and if you are patient.

Tell them $25,000, take it or leave it. If they refuse, just storm out of the dealership.

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
CPO in a heartbeat. At less than 8k miles it essentially is a new car. The CPO gives you some additional warranty coverage extensions as well.

If you buy the "new" 2019, or a 2021 you'll lose a chunk of value the minute you drive it off the lot anyway. I personally have never bought new. When I was younger I couldn't afford new. Now I can't see any to buy anything but used. CPO whenever possible. My wife's Encore has the LE2. We bought it in 2018 with 24k on it. It was just off a lease. We paid $16k for it. It's been pretty much trouble free.

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
If you wanted loaded Car with all the options Then look at used, if you want a lower model Then used ones are always overpriced in my opinion, New is the better deal... Unless u are really good at talking dealerships down on price....

I prefer new... Its worth a few thousand more to know u got a car some idiot didn't ruin somehow.. Plus the newer the car the more design improvements it usually has

playklax01

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence
A month ago I bought a new 2019 Encore Essence. The dealer wasn't marking much off the $33k sticker, maybe $2k off. I told them I was expecting a fire sale price due to aging inventory. And like mentioned earlier here, there were no manufacturer incentives for the older models. I was adamant I wanted $8k off sticker, and $5k for my trade (which was a fair price). Took a lot of back and forth, lots of standing up and walking out (but I love playing the negotiating game!), but eventually they relented and met me where I wanted to be. I was focused more on the 2019 since the factory warranty is longer than the 2020 and newer ones. In the end I'm happy with the purchase. I tend to buy new because even used with 8000 miles, you never know what was done during that time, CPO or not...

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I love people who buy their cars new. They take the deprecation hit. I get a car or truck later at a substantial savings over new. Thank you! :D

Maybee

Buick Ownership
WantEncore
So to revisit. They offered me 24 OTD, and I decided to wait. Now the "new" Encores, formerly 33 are marked down to 25+. Turns out they have about 3200 miles on them, probably using them as loners or something.

They aren't listed as Demos or anything, so I'm still hoping for the 2019 new warrantee. This looks to be the case when search the VIN online. I'm getting ready to approach them again, see if they will come down. It's getting to be a bit of a hobby of mine! My husband thinks I'm crazy and should just buy the stupid car...

Since I'm not doing much driving in COVID times, getting another car seems slightly foolish right now. But it won't last forever, and I want to be ready for road trips!

The 23 Essence with 8 thousand miles has been at 22400 for two months now. But the sales person was kind of old school and smarmy. I don't have to deal with that nonsense, nor should it be rewarded!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Used car and truck prices are high right now. I wanted a newer truck, so I got what I wanted and paid top dollar to get it but it's also CPO. Trucks are moving off the lots fast. Cars not so much, but they are not offering big discounts either. You can either just buy what you want and move on, or wait, and wait, and wait.

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
You can get a new preferred model cheaper.. To save $3k its not worth buying used to me.... Used car prices too high now.... All prices will be going way up soon due to inflation ... Just look at copper and steel prices sitting at 10 year highs

Get your turbo buick badge right here!