• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Buying a new tourx out of state and Into california

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So, haven't been to a Cali dealer yet. But most dealers around socal don't have a tourx optioned the way i want one. Out of state however they are all over the place. But I've noticed the FE9 federal emission cert. I'm curious as to any out of state guys with that rpo code if your underhood emission sticker says it's 50 state legal. Otherwise k can't bring an out of state car in as new, it would have to have something like 7500 miles on it

Mark

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
SoCal owner here. I know what you mean about the lack of local availability, it was pretty sparse when I bought mine 8 months ago and I doubt many new ones have shown up since.

Anyways, this has been discussed before. I was able to find one locally, but others have successfully imported:

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Preferred with the driver confodence package in riojo red. If it had the sights and sounds package I won't complain. But lots of good deals outa state. The few In Cali I've seen are base models in white, or they have sights and sounds and not the driver confidence package. That's a must for me. Plenty to choose from, just wanna be sure if I go that route I don't want any issues registering. And cause this will be my first brand new car. Gonna be snobby and say I want a 0 mile car, not a service loner. So if anyone has suggestions or states that might be easier to do it with that would be awesome. But I'd like to be under 30k out the door, title tax etc etc, closer to 25k would be prefered,and I don't think I'm that far off from what I've seen. I'm willing to wait a little bit and to ship a car or go pick it up and drive it back

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
No wonder why more people are are moving out of there than any other state in the nation!

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Actually Driver Confidence 1 & 2 should have been standard due to Driver Confidence 2 giving 4 way lumbar and power passenger seat.

Makes me think of when my Dad asked me of my Preferred Package TourX, "Does it have a power lift gate?"

(No Dad.)

"But it's a Buick."

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Agreed driver confidence should be standard. So many cars have this simple feature now that for me it's a no brainier. And if I'm buying new, why would I want halogen headlights? Seriously...it's bad enough that after 5 years the headlights are crazed over and useless, but the fact a more upscale car like the Buick would still have halogen lights on anything but the base model.

Anyway, reading that other thread my suspicions are put to rest. I didn't think there would be an issue. Everything for the most part should be a 50 state car. With the exception of trucks possibly. But still, I'd love to know what the difference is in the federal vs Cali cars. It's all in the calibration I'm sure. Now I just gotta wait for my Benz to go live on bring a trailer and sell so I have the down payment for the Buick hah.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I don't know a direct answer to your question, but it would likely be best to limit your searches to states that already follow CARB emissions rules.

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and Washington D.C. (Source: What are CARB states, ZEV states and 'smile' states? Autoweek explains)

I bought mine in CT (car was delivered to the CT dealer, not a transfer), though unfortunately I'm at work and it'll be a while before I can go pop the hood to see what it says on the sticker.

kunfuzion

LB
I feel your pain. CA has limited offerings and the dealers that do have them won't budge much on the 2020 models so it lead me to look outside of CA. I'm in the process of getting mine shipped to CA from IA. CA cars coming into CA legally will need to meet CA EPA regulation standards; line 3 below.
I was able to get a new 2019 TourX Essence DC1/DC2 with 10 miles for under 29k.
Tax and licensing will need to be done yourself once the vehicle is in CA.
Buick Emissions Label.jpg

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I feel your pain. CA has limited offerings and the dealers that do have them won't budge much on the 2020 models so it lead me to look outside of CA. I'm in the process of getting mine shipped to CA from IA. CA cars coming into CA legally will need to meet CA EPA regulation standards; line 3 below.
I was able to get a new 2019 TourX Essence DC1/DC2 with 10 miles for under 29k.
Tax and licensing will need to be done yourself once the vehicle is in CA.
View attachment 21562
I got a build sheet and it says "50 state emissions" on it. Since I bought mine in Texas, I figure that all of them have this.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Already bought the car from New Mexico. Paperwork just got to a local registration service. I have to get it snogged and stop by the registration place for VIN verification, then they will handle the rest of the paperwork. I already payed CA sales tax and the dealer is paying the reg services which was wrapped up in the fees. Should be all done in a week or so

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Already bought the car from New Mexico. Paperwork just got to a local registration service. I have to get it snogged and stop by the registration place for VIN verification, then they will handle the rest of the paperwork. I already payed CA sales tax and the dealer is paying the reg services which was wrapped up in the fees. Should be all done in a week or so
"snogged" - oh the things we do for automotive enthusiasm :vroom:

Maxxfinn21

Northern California
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Tourx Essence
Bought my new, 2019 Essence with DC1, DC2, SS and Pano from Idaho. Registered in CA. I’m not sure if you are having it shipped or driving it back but as you know already you will to get a smog check. If it is being shipped and the battery is disconnected during transport, your vehicle will not be ready for the smog inspection when the technician plugs into the OBD port (apparently the sensors reset). You will have to drive it at least 300 miles. Mine took almost 500 miles. Also, be sure the dealer mails the paperwork to the specific department at the DMV. My paperwork went to the wrong department at the DMV (headquarters instead of the branch) and I had to make multiple trips.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well somehow the dealer mailed paperwork to a registration service near me. So they took care of it all. I drove the car back, smogged no issue. Plates are in, i just can't pick em up yet cause the reg service is closed due to quarantine.

And I love the car! I don't like the ASS, and I don't like the way the sound system sounds. But that's pretty much it, I have no complaints.

kbdillard

Buick Ownership
2020 Regal Tour X
That's funny I just looked all over New Mexico in March and couldn't find all the options/packages I was looking for on a Tourx. I had to go to Arizona.
Glad you found your car.

Attachments

Turbo Buick Badge