• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Buzzing noise while auto stop is active. (New Owner 2019 Sportback )

powermax

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback 2019
Hi

I just got my 2019 Sportback and I noticed that everytime the auto stop engages and the engine turns off I hear something buzzing like an electric motor or something. Is that normal?

Thanks!

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
It's just the muffler bearings spinning down from the force of the turbo.

Anaduff

Associate Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
The DC to DC converter (designed to keep the electronics at 12V even if the battery drops below that) is located in the centre console in front of the shifter. Any chance you're hearing transformer humming from around that area?

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
My 2019 TourX does that too; I believe it’s a circulation pump that keeps the coolant moving through the system when the water pump isn’t being turned, like when the start/stop system takes over.

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
My 2019 TourX does that too; I believe it’s a circulation pump that keeps the coolant moving through the system when the water pump isn’t being turned, like when the start/stop system takes over.
This was my impression, too.

powermax

Buick Ownership
Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought.

ezpotato

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have it too. Doesn't do it when HVAC is off. It's actually annoying. I've been in multiple cars with start/stop and never heard it.

powermax

Buick Ownership
I have it too. Doesn't do it when HVAC is off. It's actually annoying. I've been in multiple cars with start/stop and never heard it.

I agree I've never heard this noise in any other car with Start/Stop. It sounds like an auxiliary fan.

Kappy

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
It is a circulation pump that comes on when it goes into ASS. As noted above, it doesn't come on if the HVAC is off.

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
I'm aware that is circulation pump. But it sounds like an auxiliary fan
There may well be a fan component to this; if the circulator pump is doing it’s job, the radiator still needs cooler air running over it to complete the transfer of heat cycle. I’ve only heard the pump; it’s still cool enough in Kansas that the fan noise hasn’t brought itself into the mix yet.

powermax

Buick Ownership
@powermax

So is this thread resolved for you? If not, can you record and post the sound in question?
I think it is resolved. I'm not the only one that has the noise. It's good to hear other people's experiences. I will try to get a sound clip anyway to for comparison.

powermax

Buick Ownership
Just an update. Today it was a bit warmer and I've noticed that when the HVAC is on cool the noise won't come on during stop/start. Definitely related to heating.

Last edited:

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Red needle TourX
I had normal humming noise.

Now sounds like gurgling and impeller turning and finding air pockets and just makes it super weird.

what gives,
Is that normal too?

I have a family member with a Prius and I’ve heard the pump, but never like this.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@94cruiser I'm assuming you know the normal sound that kicks in during ASS.

So....I've also heard a different noise twice in 1.5 years of ownership. Someone posted in the past a recording of it on the TourX Facebook page which I just tried to record and post here, but no luck.

If you are a member of the Facebook TourX group search within that group "sound once you turn the vehicle off" there is a video posted which someone was able to grab the really strange sound. Is this sound what you're referring to?

Anyone who has access to FB and wants to comment on what they think that noise is... I'm all ears an would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Red needle TourX
Tell me how long should the pump run normally?

Today I heard it making weird sounds and it sounded like either impeller was trying to push air at times (gurgling) or running for long time and it would take a second pause and then pump some more.

As if it has x volume of water to pump before it was told to turn off and it was trying it's best.

I think I have to start taking videos when I park the car. So annoying.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners