Cabin Air Filter

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
I would like to change the cabin air filter in my Encore. I understand the filter can be found behind the glove compartment. In an effort to get to the filter I tried to pivot the glove compartment out of the way...with no success. Forcing the sides of the compartment does not seem to help. Has anyone tried to get to the filter ? What is the proper way to get to it ?

GoMich

Buick Ownership
Buick
Surprised no one has done that yet and did not post any reply.....
Those filters get extremely dirty in one year. I change mine 1 a year.
Here is what you need to do.
You open glove compartment, press HARD on upper edge as shown with red dot and move whole container down. It will take force, but you will not break anything in there.
Now pay attention to a vacuum damper-looks like a black tube. It attached to the console with the Anchor, shown on right image. there is enough room between console and side of the glove compartment to get your fingers in and disconnect that vacuum damper. Then whole glove container will drop down and ....here it is the magic Cabin air filter Door!
Assembly is reverse. No tools required as the saying goes.... Will take 5-10 min to do all job!
Good luck!
Encore Air Filter Access.jpg

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
Thank you so much GoMich for the instructions. I'm glad you said that it will take force to free the top anchor which holds the glove compartment from pivoting. I was really worried to break something. Since this is plastic and it's presently very cold here..I will wait until the temps get a little warmer to attempt the process, just in case the plastic sides are brittle ( because of the cold temps ).

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
IMG_7235.jpg
IMG_7237.jpg

Here is what I put in our's - same size.

Granted differing pleats but a more reasonable price.

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
I've heard of TYC.. Most people seem satisfied with their filters. Any issues with airflow restriction due to the fewer pleats? ( ie less filter medium )

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Surprised no one has done that yet and did not post any reply.....
Those filters get extremely dirty in one year. I change mine 1 a year.
Here is what you need to do.
You open glove compartment, press HARD on upper edge as shown with red dot and move whole container down. It will take force, but you will not break anything in there.
Now pay attention to a vacuum damper-looks like a black tube. It attached to the console with the Anchor, shown on right image. there is enough room between console and side of the glove compartment to get your fingers in and disconnect that vacuum damper. Then whole glove container will drop down and ....here it is the magic Cabin air filter Door!
Assembly is reverse. No tools required as the saying goes.... Will take 5-10 min to do all job!
Good luck!
View attachment 6944

Great write-up !!

I had more trouble removing the door damper on mine. It just didn't want to come off.

The glove box bent in easily though.

rubbersoul

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just replaced mine with one of those TYC filters. Good god... previous owner must have run over a sheep...

IMG_20160328_140154.jpg

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
I must be missing something....had my 2011 glove box out and see a rectangle high in the opening but do not see any latches or indications that the end come off......

Get your turbo buick badge right here!