Cadillac LaCrosse

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
Have you seen the 2013 Cadillac "LaCrosse?" The similarities are striking.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqETRrhiMs&list=UU2dBZuI6gS-jv7PCIDXkXag&index=2&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqETRrhiMs&list=UU2dBZuI6gS-jv7PCIDXkXag&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

I do note that there is an inside trunk release on the driver's door armrest.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
A few nice features. I don't really dig the styling. I wouldn't pay much more for it than my car, certainly not what they're asking for a Platinum model.

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
Is HUD available on the Caddy?

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
I have not only seen the XTS but have had one out for a long test drive.

AND...?

Do tell. Is it worth the upgrade in price?

killrwheels

South Florida
Buick Ownership
10 Lacrosse CXS, 08 CTS DI, 06 SRX, 05 Vette Z51
I think the car is rather striking and a worthwhile upgrade to the Lacrosse CXS specifically. The new NAV system in this and the ATS far exceeds what our car has to offer and any GM model. The HUD is enhanced and I believe the Magnetic Shock System is standard which is far more responsive versus our "sport" model.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
Very nice. I also am not a big fan of the Caddy exterior styling but I love the rest. The CUE system rocks. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready for my next car, the CUE system or something better will have filtered down to Buick and who knows, may be standard on most cars.

Not sure I like the fact that all the buttons are all touch-sensitive rather than physical. I find it easier to pick a button by feel while keeping my eyes on the road; not so easy when there are no physically defined buttons.

In all though, definitely a step in the right direction.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
Here's what the new XTS can do that mine can't, value the options as you will...

• CUE Interface - I like the screens but the 'controls' look like a Camaro Transformers product, not super luxurious- kinda dumb really
  • Color HUD w/ current speed limit - the color piece of this isn't super bad-ass, I'd like the intigrated speed limit, but for the meantime I already have it in my add-on Nuvi
  • Interior trunk release - that's a nice feature and a sticking point with some of us LaCrosse owners, maybe worth a couple hundred bucks for a button and some wire
  • Dual-mode Magnetic ride control (sport/tour)- not sure how this differs from our real-time dampening w/ sport/tour
  • Brembo brakes - dirty and expensive, I prefer mine
  • +1 HP
  • Light-up door handles - cool
  • Opus full-leather seats - not a big selling feature for me
  • +3 speakers w/ personal surround speakers on the top of each front seat - seats look like darth vader chairs, not a big fan of the seats
  • Front seat custom length adjusters - nice
  • Customizable gauge cluster - that's cool, but should cost less for a little led screen and software than actual gauges. Let me know when someone else has paid back all the R&D on that :)
  • Lane departure warning
  • Forward and rear collision alert
  • Adaptive cruise - awesome
  • Front ultrasonic parking assist - rather have a camera, the beeps are annoying
  • Automatic front and rear braking
  • Safety alert seat - eh, gimicky - probably turn that off after a week
  • Rainsense wipers & auto-dry brakes
  • Paddle shifters - not interested
  • Tri-zone cimate control & Heated rear seats - I don't sit in the back seat
  • Memory steering column adjustment - not an issue for us
  • Capless fueling - slick
  • +2 knee air-bags
  • Rear arm rest with lockable pass-thru and storage
  • +5 bluetooth smartphones, now supports 10 - we have 2, 5 is plenty
  • Manual rear side shades
  • +6.6 cu ft trunk - lots of storage space, but I really don't want a full-sized car
  • +1 highway mpg (17/28)
  • Compact spares costs $350 - ouch!

Some great features, some are just so-so, some worthless to me. I add up what I'd pay for them and I'd happily pay the Buick man $5000-$7000 to add them to my car. I showed the 30 minute YouTube video to my wife who said I could get one if I wanted it. Honestly, for an $18,000 sticker price difference, I'll keep mine (probably be an even bigger gap since I was able to get mine for about $7000 under sticker and I doubt the new XTS will show deals like that for a while). I really feel like the LaCrosse has a better shape, cleaner interior, and gives a ton of features for the money. I almost bought a Regal but for only a few thousand more got way more toys. For the price of the Caddy I wouldn't feel like I was getting a whole lot more. I think LaCrosse is the sweet spot when it comes to price vs value, which is why I didn't buy a CTS in the first place. Everything costs more, the sunroof, the paint, the spoiler- I'm not into having so much money I just throw it away to be exclusive. My loaded car stickers at $42k, the Platinum Caddy stickers at $60k. I just don't see the value. Makes me happy that Cadillac chose the LaCrosse to copy when they finally realized they needed a FWD car in the line up.

Last edited:

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
Thanks, mmadden2, for doing the analysis work -- and such a good job of presenting it.

I am in agreement. The price is too high for nothing more than more toys. I see no compelling reason to upgrade.

One note: The Garmin Nuvi displays the current speed limit but it is not always so accurate that I would want to bet the speeding ticket on it.

MHT

Indiana
Here's what the new XTS can do that mine can't, value the options as you will...

• CUE Interface - I like the screens but the 'controls' look like a Camaro Transformers product, not super luxurious- kinda dumb really
  • Color HUD w/ current speed limit - the color piece of this isn't super bad-ass, I'd like the intigrated speed limit, but for the meantime I already have it in my add-on Nuvi
  • Interior trunk release - that's a nice feature and a sticking point with some of us LaCrosse owners, maybe worth a couple hundred bucks for a button and some wire
  • Dual-mode Magnetic ride control (sport/tour)- not sure how this differs from our real-time dampening w/ sport/tour
  • Brembo brakes - dirty and expensive, I prefer mine
  • +1 HP
  • Light-up door handles - cool
  • Opus full-leather seats - not a big selling feature for me
  • +3 speakers w/ personal surround speakers on the top of each front seat - seats look like darth vader chairs, not a big fan of the seats
  • Front seat custom length adjusters - nice
  • Customizable gauge cluster - that's cool, but should cost less for a little led screen and software than actual gauges. Let me know when someone else has paid back all the R&D on that :)
  • Lane departure warning
  • Forward and rear collision alert
  • Adaptive cruise - awesome
  • Front ultrasonic parking assist - rather have a camera, the beeps are annoying
  • Automatic front and rear braking
  • Safety alert seat - eh, gimicky - probably turn that off after a week
  • Rainsense wipers & auto-dry brakes
  • Paddle shifters - not interested
  • Tri-zone cimate control & Heated rear seats - I don't sit in the back seat
  • Memory steering column adjustment - not an issue for us
  • Capless fueling - slick
  • +2 knee air-bags
  • Rear arm rest with lockable pass-thru and storage
  • +5 bluetooth smartphones, now supports 10 - we have 2, 5 is plenty
  • Manual rear side shades
  • +6.6 cu ft trunk - lots of storage space, but I really don't want a full-sized car
  • +1 highway mpg (17/28)
  • Compact spares costs $350 - ouch!

Some great features, some are just so-so, some worthless to me. I add up what I'd pay for them and I'd happily pay the Buick man $5000-$7000 to add them to my car. I showed the 30 minute YouTube video to my wife who said I could get one if I wanted it. Honestly, for an $18,000 sticker price difference, I'll keep mine (probably be an even bigger gap since I was able to get mine for about $7000 under sticker and I doubt the new XTS will show deals like that for a while). I really feel like the LaCrosse has a better shape, cleaner interior, and gives a ton of features for the money. I almost bought a Regal but for only a few thousand more got way more toys. For the price of the Caddy I wouldn't feel like I was getting a whole lot more. I think LaCrosse is the sweet spot when it comes to price vs value, which is why I didn't buy a CTS in the first place. Everything costs more, the sunroof, the paint, the spoiler- I'm not into having so much money I just throw it away to be exclusive. My loaded car stickers at $42k, the Platinum Caddy stickers at $60k. I just don't see the value. Makes me happy that Cadillac chose the LaCrosse to copy when they finally realized they needed a FWD car in the line up.

With lane departure instead of the tone the drivers seat vibrates.

dtv757

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacrosse 2014
i hope in the future buick's will have that CUE system as well. it looks really cool. i like how it shows the speed limit on the HUD.
but i agree Caddy's are a little over priced. hopefully the lacrosse with CUE will be $40k range and not $60 like caddys.

cozbyrt

6.0L LS2 Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal T-05
The XTS doesn't do anything for me but now the ATS with the 2.0L turbo is a different story.

Lacrosse

Buick Ownership
Buick
Actually i didnt really like caddys at all but this one is pretty sick, looks very slick.

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
Here's what the new XTS can do that mine can't, value the options as you will...I think LaCrosse is the sweet spot when it comes to price vs value

I have owned 4 90s and 00s Cadillacs, and I can tell you they were better than similar era Buicks - I had a '97 Eldorado Touring Coupe that was built better in some ways and had some features my '12 LaCrosse doesn't have and are not even offered...and the obverse also applies. I also agree that whether Caddies are worth the difference is a personal decision. There are a lot of people out there that think Buicks aren't worth the difference in price from a Chevy (or Ford or Toyota or whatever). I think the least expensive cars usually offer the best value - paying more gets you more space/power/styling/features, but whether those items are worth the price depends on the person - I think "sweet spot" sums it up very well.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
I spent about an hour today checking out some XTS's. Very impressive cars. Hard to see another 18-20k, but can't deny that it's a sweet ride. Guess I'll start saving my pennies!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!