• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

California Certified/Smog?

flightlessgreeb

Hi all! I'm really gunning for a TourX as the year closes out and dealers get more desperate to move cars. However where I live they don't seem to be in as big a hurry as in some other places in the country - so I was thinking of maybe having a car shipped in or flying out and driving one home. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the Regals are 49-state cars or not though? I'd hate to get it all the way back to CA only to find out it won't pass smog here. I did the same thing with my 2013 Audi and it was fine so I'm guessing basically every 2019 MY vehicle is CA compatible but I thought I'd better ask first.

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I bought a California car in California. While I was looking at TourXs online, I noticed that California emissions (YF5) is shown as a different code than Federal (FE9). I also saw some with California emasions but then a federal override. The owner's manual also has a statement or two about California emissions cars (but we know how inaccurate the owner's manual is sometimes, so take that with a grain of salt).

Luckily I was able to find a TourX near enough to me that had options I wanted and the dealer had decent prices, so I didn't have to search out of state.

harmattan84

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
I purchased mine out of CA and drove it back. You do have to get it smogged once you get it into CA (you have about one weeks or so). It will pass smog. After speaking with the technician, they mentioned that they handle quite a few new car out-of-state purchases and none have failed CA smog testing.
Good luck!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thank goodness the feds revoked the Ca exemption, so we won't have different emission rules in different states.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thank goodness the feds revoked the Ca exemption, so we won't have different emission rules in different states.
We didn't, pretty much all manufacturers were making their cars CA compliant. That's why the things passes smog in CA.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
We didn't, pretty much all manufacturers were making their cars CA compliant. That's why the things passes smog in CA.
Yeah Ca. standards are useless no doubt!
They were given an exemption to federal law that does not exist anymore. So there will be no Ca cars, there will only be 50 state legal cars.

Last edited:

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Not exactly, we've sued. And the auto manufacturers have agreed to continue to meet our standards. Major automakers buck Trump’s emissions rollback by signing deal with California
And you're comment seems to suggest that I'm on your "side" on this issue. I'm not.
Thanks I knew that...
Yeah Crazyfornia will use your money to fight it, but will eventually lose. GM was not stupid enough to agree, Mainly european makes have agreed, but when Justice department gets involved BMW and others will not risk US market..... Since only Feds can decide regulations after exemption was revoked.

Last edited:
Pedal Commander