Can someone tell me how accurate the drivers info fuel remaining thing is?

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey guys, I just acquired an 03 lesabre, love the car gets more better fuel mileage than my old one did. 26+ town, and 36+ highway. My fuel gauge works 100% which is a shock cause I know how problematic those are, but my question is my needle right now is in the same area as shown in the pic but my drivers info thing says I have 70 miles left till empty. This looks too low to me and I don't want to risk running out of gas and burn the pump out but I am curious how much lower that needle will lower before it's actually on "Empty"

Attachments

• 704x-.jpg
    704x-.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 11

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 148k miles
You may need a stepper motor replaced in your cluster or your sending unit is getting flaky. Put gas in it now. I don't like to let vehicles with in-tank pumps run low...you'll shorten the life of the fuel pump.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Most displays are a estimates, nothing to be used as a absolute. Roaming around town at 30mph vs highway at 70mph will result in different mileage.

Irish1

Buick Ownership
03 Lesabre Limited Celebration Edition
The 70 mile range is based on how much fuel is left in the tank and what the current average mpg is. So if you are getting 36 mpg and you have 70 miles of range, there would be just under 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. If you were doing a lot of city driving at 26 mpg, you would have just under 3 gallons of fuel left with the 70 mile range.

I reset the trip odometer and the average mpg every time I fill it with gas.

The fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank it is generally recommended that you not allow the fuel level to go below 1/4 tank with any car.

36 mpg would be a really good number for a Lesabre. I probably average maybe 26 or 27 in the summer and about 25 in the winter. I can break 30 mpg with it, but I have to really drive conservatively. My normal driving isn't aggressive, but I generally set the cruise at 10 over the speed limit on the highway and go the speed limit in town.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Low fuel light should be about 3.5 to 4.5 gallons of gas. Display for distance to empty is deliberately under-stated to keep you from being stuck with no gas and blaming gm.
When it’s still giving miles and not saying LOW RANGE,it is accurate to assume you have that many miles at your current speed and load.

but things can change. So find a gas station

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Sounds good guys, and yeah I know about running fuel low can harm pumps I'm pretty car savy I just usually test how the fuel gauge works as far as the needle positioning how low it goes. I'm gonna gas it up though I have a good enough idea.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
When you see orange light first come on, assume 50 miles cruising on a nice road like an expressway or freeway. Do any stop and go trafficking you really should half that.
Orange light is your friend. Do I tempt fate a lot? I once filled 18.2 gallons I)to my 18.5 gallon tank, I really didn’t want to stop for gas the night before lol. Your car has about 16-20 gallon tank and is reasonably efficient. Go get her tiger

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Okay guys another question, is getting over 50MPG possible with these cars? Allow me to explain, I took her for a cruise today on country roads and I was able to average 40mpg in my old buick if I kept the speed just literally above 50, like finding the sweet spot of how the gear ratio works, but when I took her today it averaged 32-35 but when I turned around so the wind was not against the car it was getting over 50mpg it then hovered around 45mpg but again the conditions have to be just right for the car to get this. I personally never heard of a 3.8 getting this and I know how good these cars are on fuel as is. I don't trust the fuel info thing much but even my gas gauge barely budged after driving 80+ miles today. Is this even possible?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Okay guys another question, is getting over 50MPG possible with these cars? Allow me to explain, I took her for a cruise today on country roads and I was able to average 40mpg in my old buick if I kept the speed just literally above 50, like finding the sweet spot of how the gear ratio works, but when I took her today it averaged 32-35 but when I turned around so the wind was not against the car it was getting over 50mpg it then hovered around 45mpg but again the conditions have to be just right for the car to get this. I personally never heard of a 3.8 getting this and I know how good these cars are on fuel as is. I don't trust the fuel info thing much but even my gas gauge barely budged after driving 80+ miles today. Is this even possible?
If you turn off factory knock circuitry fill with e85 and drive aggressively up hills you can give your engine a breathtaking infinite miles per gallon as all the internals are sent every direction with so much force the EPA had no choice but to award it highest efficiency design ever.

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
But even so my fuel gauge has been pretty accurate I went 80+ miles today and it didn't even take 2 gallons to top off what I burned off so I don't know but if the highway mileage checks out on my trips I don't see why this would be inaccurate if that's what you are saying. It has 185k on the clock but the guy I bought it from maintained it very well and took care of it.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
But even so my fuel gauge has been pretty accurate I went 80+ miles today and it didn't even take 2 gallons to top off what I burned off so I don't know but if the highway mileage checks out on my trips I don't see why this would be inaccurate if that's what you are saying. It has 185k on the clock but the guy I bought it from maintained it very well and took care of it.
The IPC, or perhaps the dash integration module in a lesabre, can be faulty. Or fuel sender

my 98 park avenue had drastically under estimated fuel levels to where I got 70+ mpg all the time and my fuel use was about 6 gallons on a full tank

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah something has to be weird, I just don't see this vehicle getting over 50mpg, I know they can achieve 40 with the right conditions but again my fuel gauge was pretty accurate so who knows I don't buy it though just was wondering if that's possible and if anyone ever had that.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Yeah something has to be weird, I just don't see this vehicle getting over 50mpg, I know they can achieve 40 with the right conditions but again my fuel gauge was pretty accurate so who knows I don't buy it though just was wondering if that's possible and if anyone ever had that.
I looked at park avenue service manual. The IPC uses discreet inputs from the fuel sender to calculate the estimated mileage and economy. If those inputs are wrong, so would my fuel gauge and my pcm data on fuel. Because pcm gets it from the ipc.
Your car has a dumb IP so your dash integration module would serve this purpose I almost can guarantee and it’s unlikely the inputs unless your speed sensor is affected which is possible. The pcm provides the ipc or dash module with the speed calculated from the ac pulses from sensor. So if the sensor is off so would your speed and fuel etc but if your speed is pretty close, that could narrow it down to the pcm or wiring between or module. But withou the wiring diagram or circuit understanding, it’s theory.
My old park avenue had. An issue with the fuel sender I am mostly confident. I bought a new fuel pump before the car totaled and just used it in my current one when the gas gauge wouldn’t read below half tank.
My current one is pretty darn close although my ipc has a rare chip failure and is causing small unrelated issues that are mostly nuisance

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah next time I'll just fill up and drive down that same road for about an hour and than refill up and see what I burned, that's the only true way I'll know how accurate that thing is. I know on my old lesabre it was spot on cause I would fill up from road trips driving from MN to ND.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Most OBD2 scanners that are using a phone have logging and real time data which may be something else to consider if you have one.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Yeah next time I'll just fill up and drive down that same road for about an hour and than refill up and see what I burned, that's the only true way I'll know how accurate that thing is. I know on my old lesabre it was spot on cause I would fill up from road trips driving from MN to ND.
Careful, fuel as it heats up takes up more space and will cut off your nozzle before it would than if it were a cold tank

I would suggest a moderate amount of driving, then filll up, then take your trip, then fill up all within similar atmospheric conditions or just do this test a few times to get an average difference. The amount isn’t huge but it’s certainly exacerbated by small amounts being readdded vs a fill up

me personally, I know my trip to my old job could be .4 gallons or 1.3 gallons, depending on how I drove. If I had a low fuel light on I could push it 2.5 days at best but never never ever 3.

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
I took it for a highway drive of 90 miles, drove 45 miles to a small town near my area and back, went 65mph the whole way. Filled up when I left and filled it on the way back. The pump cut off after 1.7 gals, put another half gallon in and it cut off again. So in theory I assume I burned 2.5 gallons which is an average of 40mpg if 2.2 gallons is what I burned, or 36mpg if I burned 2.5 gals. Point is the fuel thing seems accurate to me. I should've burned half a tank to really get an idea, except that's at least 250 miles of driving I would've had to do today cause I am only trying to test highway strictly.

Oh, and I'm sure going 70-80mph will definitely cut those numbers down, but most speed limits in my area are 65 I usually stay at 75 if I am going out of the area.

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I took it for a highway drive of 90 miles, drove 45 miles to a small town near my area and back, went 65mph the whole way. Filled up when I left and filled it on the way back. The pump cut off after 1.7 gals, put another half gallon in and it cut off again. So in theory I assume I burned 2.5 gallons which is an average of 40mpg if 2.2 gallons is what I burned, or 36mpg if I burned 2.5 gals. Point is the fuel thing seems accurate to me. I should've burned half a tank to really get an idea, except that's at least 250 miles of driving I would've had to do today cause I am only trying to test highway strictly.

Oh, and I'm sure going 70-80mph will definitely cut those numbers down, but most speed limits in my area are 65 I usually stay at 75 if I am going out of the area.
Err.. domt do the add fuel after it cuts off. Your vehicle has evaporative emissions components that all sit pretty much down low and if you overfill you can end up with a canister full of gas which doesn’t exactly work well or smell pleasant. And you could loose the ability of the nozzle to shut off on its own or it may shut of more than it should /early.
Once your nozzle stops, unless you are certain it’s far before it should(like half tank), leave it.
That amount of let’s you put in is theoretically different each time you gas up, but that’s due to temperature and tank pressure and the volatility of your gas tanks contents

so even tho it won’t be exactly what your read out say it used often times, it’s okay, just don’t overfill.
But glad it seemed to be good and match, overtime you will get a feel for what is normal consumption and what isn’t. I have a personal tendency to get gas when I’ have about a gallon or less left and I use my monitor at every fill up. I have noticed it undershoots a tiny bit but I also have seeps out of my metal line so it’s probably that. I intimately know when I’m quite literally about to run on fumes or if I can make it just a tinnnnnnnny bit more

I always do a full fill up. And I have a single gas station that will periodically overfill my nozzle and when I tell them they say it’s my cars fault and I say really want to test me boy, I am prob the only person who buys premium at your gas station regularly and at the same pump and the only other two places I buy gas have never done that despite it having done that 3 times at your pump. It’s your pump, fix it. They never did, so I just listen snd watch while I gas

TwiztidRat

Buick Ownership
Buick
Oh I know about not adding fuel after cut off, sometimes though the pump shuts off early at the gas stations here and I know adding gas right after driving is expanded from the heat so I just wanted to test the pump again and see if I could squeeze more in to confirm what I lost driving today was right and didn't cut it off early. Cause if I would've concluded the first time that I went 90 miles and only lost 1.7 gals that's well over 50mpg highway which I know I burned more than that. So I decided to try adding more till the pump would cut off one more time. Either way I never would've expected this car to achieve this kind of highway mpg. It's insane I've had ford tempos, honda civics, and a toyota corolla that couldn't achieve those numbers. I mean they were older yes but not by 70s tech to leaping to 2000s tech they were early 90s models, well the Tempos obviously were lol.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners