Capless fuel filler

Al Dente

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Lacrosse Essence
Thread starter #1
I have a 2017 Lacrosse Essence. It has a capless fuel filler and every time I refuel the gas pump keeps stopping about every half gallon I put in, as if the tank is full. This happens regardless of the amount of gas in the tank, even if it is near empty. I have the same problem at every gas station, I tried about 8 different ones. The problem existed since new but I didn't feel like making a trip to the dealer. I'm going to the dealer next week for an oil change and will have them check it out.

Has anyone here had that problem? I looked online and have not seen any thing specific to the Lacrosse.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I have a 2017 Lacrosse Essence. It has a capless fuel filler and every time I refuel the gas pump keeps stopping about every half gallon I put in, as if the tank is full. This happens regardless of the amount of gas in the tank, even if it is near empty. I have the same problem at every gas station, I tried about 8 different ones. The problem existed since new but I didn't feel like making a trip to the dealer. I'm going to the dealer next week for an oil change and will have them check it out.

Has anyone here had that problem? I looked online and have not seen any thing specific to the Lacrosse.
My Regal has the capless gas filler and when I bought the car it came with a small spout neck that fits in the filler mouth. It's more for when filling up with a jerry can, but I wonder if it would also help in your situation.

Al Dente

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Lacrosse Essence
Thread starter #4
I have tried the nozzle as far as it will go in and at different depths, it doesn't make any difference. I have the spout neck but it may be too messy and then I have to wipe it dry to store it again.

Thanks, I'll let you know what the outcome is after I take it to the dealer next week.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Since your car is still under warranty, get the dealer involved. If they don't wanna help, then send letters to corporate.

I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
No problem either with my Boss 302 and have had that feature since 2012 1/2. My '16 Buick is conventional fill though. Usually when nozzle auto shuts off, the fuel has burbled up the fill neck and it's a safety function to prevent splash out.

Since those filler necks seem to be undersized, try filling tank at a slower gas flow. Suppose it's possible hose kink or some blockage is present. Use my special funnel to add Sta-Bil and water dissapator but if used to fill tank you'll really have fuel back wash all over I'd imagine.

DonP

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick LaCrosse.
No problem with my 2017 Lacrosse. I will note that if the nozzle is at an angle or tilted, as if the hose coming from the side ot top, not the bottom, it may shut off. But that can happen with other cars as well.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
The problem is related to the Evap control system. When refilling the system should vent to allow gasoline into the tank to displace the air.

Al Dente

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Lacrosse Essence
Thread starter #9
I finally got my fuel filling problem fixed. Dealer "found restriction in fuel fill pipe", "replaced fuel fill pipe per GM bulletin #18-NA-113" under warranty. It works well now.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.