Capless fuel tank issue

Mansonpoon

Buick verano
Hello all, I am new in encore fourm, just wondering are there any encore owner notice that the capless fuel filler have possibility water gets into gas tank. Recent brought a 2020 encore, at one time of refuel on a rainy day, after open up the filler exterenal door found some water stay on the top of the first flipper or "Valve" .
There are two set of flippers on the capless fuel filler neck, one flipper is 1 inch away from the filler neck mouth, water drop size like a kidney bean was seen at the top of the flipper, can you imergin that when gas pump nozzle insert into the filler neck where the drop of water will Go? Flow down to the tank and stay there forever, Right? My question is are there any Encore owner had seen that, if not, you may want to keep end eye on this situation when refueling, Particularly after car wash or after heavey rain. I have few pictures, you guys may be interested to see how much water gets behind the filler exterenal door, and if this water dripped right onto the filler mouth it will go down to the tank.
In those pictures the blue cap was put in by myself to prevent water dipped onto the flipper. I like to see Encore owner opinions,
I have recorded a video in mp4 format could not upload.

Attachments

Mansonpoon

Buick verano
A few drops of water won't hurt anything especially in the USA where there is widespread use of ethanol. Ethanol will absorb and dilute water and will come out the pipe as steam.
Thank you for your reply, agree with you, few drop of water it would not be any issue, few years later with all accumulated water up to level of the fuel pump intake, eventually will get pump to engine, water is not combrustable, engine stall and lost control at 100km/hour? Water is diluteable with Ethanol is fine, but high percentage of gas combrustable power is loose due to water is not a fuel. Encore have 1.4 litter engine, if one or two cylinder lost combustion, the car will have no HP to keep going or engine stall.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If concerned toss some HEET into the tank or if looking for a inexpensive solution Isopropyl Alcohol-99%, used this on my boat and never had a issue.

Mansonpoon

Buick verano
If concerned toss some HEET into the tank or if looking for a inexpensive solution Isopropyl Alcohol-99%, used this on my boat and never had a issue.
Again. Thank you for the suggestion. There always a solution for the issue. But my point is the capless system design has not been considered properly. The capless design system should not allow water to get in the tank. Like other owner said the filler is not seal tight. Not only water, Dirt, dust also gets behind the filler door. This concern has been filed to GM coustumer card department locally and dealer ship. Wait to see what they going to say. Thanks again

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
This same type of system has been used by other manufacturers, Ford for instance, since at least 2015 and no issues have been reported.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
As mentioned it's used by other manufacturers and doubtful that it will change. Live with it or get another vehicle that doesn't have it those are the options available.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
First of all, water will not accumulate at the bottom of the tank. The minute you start driving and hitting bumps and making turns what ever water separated from fuel will be stirred up and run true the system small droplets at a time. It will do no harm in fact some garages use water to clean the valves from carbon deposit. Do you honestly think car manufacturers haven't tested and over engineered this cap less filler neck???

Mansonpoon

Buick verano
First of all, water will not accumulate at the bottom of the tank. The minute you start driving and hitting bumps and making turns what ever water separated from fuel will be stirred up and run true the system small droplets at a time. It will do no harm in fact some garages use water to clean the valves from carbon deposit. Do you honestly think car manufacturers haven't tested and over engineered this cap less filler neck???
Thank you for your reply. Learning bit by bit after reading member's reply. If no bad thing happen to the engine with small amount of water. I am okay with that.

Mansonpoon

Buick verano
As mentioned it's used by other manufacturers and doubtful that it will change. Live with it or get another vehicle that doesn't have it those are the options available.
Thank you for your reply, Do not think they will change the design. As you see from the pictures. I use a air freshener spray can lid to cover the inlet. However. Hopping that they will add a rubber flange type seal onto the filler door close up the gap between door and entire killer opening. Then no water gets behind the door.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
That last comment made me check the door on the 2017 Mustang with capless filler. Ford has a rubber seal on the gas door.

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring

Your comment made me think of water injection...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Real world vs lab testing can produce different results as any of the long term manufacturing processes can be altered, different environments, raw material supplied, vendors to the manufacturer and the manufacturing company itself. It can be as simple as a 1st vs 3rd shift in product quality, this I have first hand knowledge of at various manufacturers. A engineering change is a major issue to get done but the most common reasons are model change, legislation, cost and last a problem.

Turbo Buick Badge