Car is bucking, burning oil, smoke from exhaust

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
encore
I have a 2014 Buick Encore with 50600 miles. Car has been really nice thus far. Yesterday serious bucking as we drive, plumes of smoke from the rear, engine oil very low. I've added 3+ quarts in the last day. Car is burning oil. Car will have episodes of no acceleration on the road and then runs ok for 10 minutes and then bucking, smoke from the rear and then ok. Very very dangerous condition. I believe this car is still under warranty so I am hopeful the dealer will take care of it. Any tips or similar experiences?

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2018 Encore Premium
Sounds like the dreaded PCV check valve failure/ or the integrated PCV in the plastic intake manifold... Apparently these Ecotec 1.4 L turbo plastic intakes have an almost 100 percent failure rate by 50-70K, and since the pcv flapper is made into the intake, there are not many options. To understand about this read:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L PCV System Explained

Here is one small excerpt:
What happens when the check valve at the turbo inlet fails (Step 6)?​
- In the event that the check valve at the turbo inlet is stuck closed, the burst disk (valve cover) can fail.​
- Excess pressure will build in the crank case, which will prevent the turbo bearing housing from draining oil, and will seep oil past the turbo seals to be burned in the exhaust or through the intake. In the event that this occurs, oil consumption will increase.

If you are still under warranty, then the dealer should handle, if not, there are some aftermarket kits to put an external PCV check valve and do away with the one integrated into the plastic intake, see: GM 1.4L Turbo Intake Manifold PCV Valve Fix Kits

Thread starter #4
Buick Ownership
encore
Thank you both. I have an appointment at the dealer already. But always good to be prepared. Good stuff!

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's what is in your warranty with GM on years and/or milage. The length of drive time with the problem and not bringing it in for service may have caused other problems.

If the oil wasn't on the ground it went some place in the system, never really good. So caution may be wise in giving to much detail other than it was not working correctly.

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Glad to hear is was covered under warranty. I'd also be interested to know if they can pinpoint a cause.

Thread starter #13
Buick Ownership
encore
oil leak is from turbo charger, not under warranty.

check engine light is on from crack in exhaust.

It's rather puzzling that I have a leak and crack after the dealer rebuilt the engine and it wasn't their doing.

Previously this car was a gem.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Crack in the exhaust where, exaust manifold, considering that the dealer had to work on and around these components to replace the pistons and convertor, yes it does seem odd.

I would ask the dealer for the procedure for the warranty replacement parts repair and if the instructions include the removal and reinstall it's at least questionable that they did it correctly. The odds of failure, even by GM standards, on two parts that happened after servicing are pretty high. The fact could also be argued that the piston failures also caused the addtional problems, proof may be required, but if the piston had fragmented it had to go somewhere engine block or exaust, just a concept to consider.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.