Car starts and runs fine then stalls

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Okay! So....I start my car and it runs great and is driving fine. I get new gas (have never had problem at this station.) and I drive a bit and it starts riding rough then just stalls! It starts right back up but stalls out again soon after. I can let it sit and idle and it'll be fine for ten minutes or so but when I start driving after a bit it will all the sudden go bad again and stall. I'm cleaning out the throttle body (like really ew.). It was fine a week ago (my breaks went and it ended up being a huge pain. Three trips to the store because they kept getting me the wrong parts ) and all the sudden this is happening. You guys are always so helpful so thank you in advance.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry! It's a 1988 Buick Century Limited 2.8L V6. Spark plug coils are brand new and haven't had an issue with spark. Two new-ish fuel injectors and the others where working great too. New ICM and spark plugs are like a year old.

hitshane

Buick Newbie
Saint Petersburg, FL
Buick Ownership
2005 Century Custom
Fuel pressure regulator. Buy a new gas cap also and make sure your vacuum lines don't have any holes in them.

It could also be your catalytic converter there are videos on YouTube that show you how to self diagnose that just by listening to it it takes two people.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
So I'll assume there isn't any check engine or codes? Now there could be other items that "may" cause this. If it's running ok when it's a cold start, meaning that the fuel pump is still cold and stalls / stops after the pump gets warm it could be that pump needs replacing. Putting a gage on it to check pressure while it idling for 20 or so minutes to get the pump warm may be enough to see if the pressure drops and you can also check the fuel pressure regulator at the same time. Just a guess as it could be a few things, but tossing parts at it may not really solve it.

Idle air control valve will show some of these problems, but couldn't say for sure without being there so you may want to check it.

Battery, cables, ignition, injectors, relays, fuel filter, vacuum lines, lots of choices but trouble shooting each one to determine it's not the problem is the best way to fix it and save money. Lots of bad examples of "I replaced xxx and it ran great for a week and the problem returned" well it didn't return as much as it never left LOL. I hope you find the problem.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It isn't throwing any codes. Check engine lights aren't on. When I open the gas tank it does have pressure but idk if that an indicator of anything. The fuel pump is maybe four years old. The idle/air control valve and EGR valve are also about four years old.

I'll have to get a fuel pressure gauge. If it's the pump I am going to have a really hard time :/ full tank of gas and I dont have much to lift it. So its going to need go to somewhere.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
also my stark plug wires, battery, ignition(it starts so...), injectors, and vac lines have all been tested and looked at/replaces within the past like five years and I keep an eye on things. This is a sudden new problem so I dont know.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Well you keep better care then most on the mantince side. As with the symptoms those two things, fuel pump and Idle air control valve, will both cause it to act like that. But a loose wire or connection when it get hot, resistance because it's not making a full circuit, can cause havoc on newer cars and is a pain to find.

But it seems that the car needs to up to a degree of heat and operating to have it shut down, so maybe others on the forum have had this problem with other suggestions.

Just to add a note, something coming out of left field isn't uncommon, my 95 Lesabre keeps me on my toes as what I think may be wrong and what it is don't always agree LOL.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
One other thing to see if the fuel pump relay is getting hot or swap it out with a known good one then see if the problem comes back. The Lucerne's have this problem and it is a design issue that causes it, but its another check on the list.

buick girl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
"Just to add a note, something coming out of left field isn't uncommon, my 95 Lesabre keeps me on my toes as what I think may be wrong and what it is don't always agree LOL"

same here! Every time I hit a spot where everything is good its gotta throw a curveball my way XD makes life interesting for sure! and with mine being older it doesn't throw codes often. We have also changed the computer. It was telling the rest of the car it was 45 below 0. So that was interesting. (computer is behind the glove box)

And on the note of maintaining. I love this car. I want to keep it running as long as possible. It's my first car and I've definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it in the five years I've had it. I really want to get a new paint job (it's basically a dust coating right now lol) and redo all the window/door/trunk seals. It takes time though. I want to get this car in a great place. I've put almost 100k on it and it serves me well. It's the first car I've worked on and my Grandpa taught me what I know. I'm trying my best and I really appreciate all you guys helping me try and figure this out.

Last edited:
Illinois
Buick Ownership
Here's a sites on the MAF, that has a problem similar to yours, sort of, but it has information on about the MAF being a little funky for that era. Like the GM transition from OBD 1 to OBD 2 lots of different things were being done and when the car was made by VIN is the only way to know what's going to work sometime. This is one of those items in the left field, but it can be checked by VIN # I assume. Hopefully someone on forum has a better idea on this description as it's by me LOL.

Air Flow Meter/Sensor: Description and Operation With Speed Density Update
OPERATION
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is no longer functional in this vehicle. Power to the Air Flow Meter Relay has been disconnected. The Engine
Control Module (ECM)has connections to the MAF sensor but it does not receive any input from this circuit.
The Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor (which is a part of the MAF sensor assembly) still remains functional

88 chevy 2.8L Mass Airflow Sensor problem?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The update for this year(s) 2.8L is a prom for the "Speed Density" funtion and if it's was done by a dealer there should be a sticker (?) on the ECM, so was this what you swapped out with?

You may want to check other GM forums on this engine as it has a few unique difference for its year's. The story below on how experts can be stumped on the unknown of this motor and how it was finally fixed. Trouble shooting in left field.
Chevrolet Beretta Performance Problem

hitshane

Buick Newbie
Saint Petersburg, FL
Buick Ownership
2005 Century Custom
Replace your fuel pressure regulator. While you're at it hit your MAF screen with some MAF cleaner do not physically touch it yourself.

Also, have one person rev the gas while the other person listen to the exhaust at the rear of the car. If there is a noticeable delay between the sound of the engine and when that pressure comes out of the exhaust it is a clog in the exhaust most likely the catalytic converter.

When it is the fuel pressure regulator you can actually pull off the vacuum line going to it and see if fuel comes out of it. If it does that means the diaphragm is broken. The ethanol in the gasoline actually eats the silicone diaphragm and destroys it. I always used recreational or ethanol-free fuel in my older Buick. If it is the fuel pressure regulator make sure you change it and then your oil at the same time because that means fuel was running down some of your cylinders washing the Pol away and also into your catalytic converter further destroying it too.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.