• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Car won't move in drive/3rd gear but moves in 1st/2nd

upstateny

Buick Ownership
2008 buick lacrosse
I decided to test out the ABS on/off switch while driving at a low speed. I then pulled over after testing it out with ABS off and put the car in park/shut it off. Now it won't drive in 3rd or D. It will drive in 1st and 2nd, but something is clearly wrong. What could be the issue here?

No codes popped up on the HUD and no lights came on. I disconnected the battery and I'm hoping it'll reset the system or whatever this internal problem is. The car revs ALL the way up in drive, no power to the tires though. Same with 3rd gear.

Edit - TC is not working in 1st or 2nd, whether or not its switched on or off. Also, once I'm up to speed and I switch to drive it works, then once I slow down it cuts power to the wheels.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure what may have caused the transmission issues, but if it continues after pulling the battery cables which if you pull both and touch them together on some years does a reset, it may require a transmission scan which is usually done with a professional scanner.

upstateny

Buick Ownership
2008 buick lacrosse
I have never seen an abs on off switch in any of my cars.
Theres a row of buttons right above the radio. Its 4th or 5th in the row.

Anyway, I got almost all the way to the auto parts store near me and it dropped 1st and 2nd 2 houses down. The guy was nice enough to walk out and check the fluid and hook up his reader to it. No luck. Plenty of fluid and no codes.

I popped it in reverse and ended up getting it to the local oil and tire shop next door. [What a effing fiasco that was] The manager grew up with my old man so I trust him for the most part. Hes always helped me out with things above and beyond the normal tire and oil change so I'm trying to stay optimistic.

It's almost as if the car has traction control stuck on, but the light isnt popping up. If it were a drive train issue I dont think the car would run in reverse. But what do I know? I'm an electrician not a car mechanic.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
s-l400.jpg
If this is the panel you are referring to, the 6th button is Traction Control, no ABS on this panel or anywhere else I'm aware of other than the ABS warning dash light.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Did you try disconnecting the car battery and reconnecting after a few minutes?

Pedal Commander