Car won't move in drive/3rd gear but moves in 1st/2nd

upstateny

Buick Ownership
2008 buick lacrosse
I decided to test out the ABS on/off switch while driving at a low speed. I then pulled over after testing it out with ABS off and put the car in park/shut it off. Now it won't drive in 3rd or D. It will drive in 1st and 2nd, but something is clearly wrong. What could be the issue here?

No codes popped up on the HUD and no lights came on. I disconnected the battery and I'm hoping it'll reset the system or whatever this internal problem is. The car revs ALL the way up in drive, no power to the tires though. Same with 3rd gear.

Edit - TC is not working in 1st or 2nd, whether or not its switched on or off. Also, once I'm up to speed and I switch to drive it works, then once I slow down it cuts power to the wheels.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure what may have caused the transmission issues, but if it continues after pulling the battery cables which if you pull both and touch them together on some years does a reset, it may require a transmission scan which is usually done with a professional scanner.

upstateny

Buick Ownership
2008 buick lacrosse
I have never seen an abs on off switch in any of my cars.
Theres a row of buttons right above the radio. Its 4th or 5th in the row.

Anyway, I got almost all the way to the auto parts store near me and it dropped 1st and 2nd 2 houses down. The guy was nice enough to walk out and check the fluid and hook up his reader to it. No luck. Plenty of fluid and no codes.

I popped it in reverse and ended up getting it to the local oil and tire shop next door. [What a effing fiasco that was] The manager grew up with my old man so I trust him for the most part. Hes always helped me out with things above and beyond the normal tire and oil change so I'm trying to stay optimistic.

It's almost as if the car has traction control stuck on, but the light isnt popping up. If it were a drive train issue I dont think the car would run in reverse. But what do I know? I'm an electrician not a car mechanic.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
s-l400.jpg
If this is the panel you are referring to, the 6th button is Traction Control, no ABS on this panel or anywhere else I'm aware of other than the ABS warning dash light.

upstateny

Buick Ownership
2008 buick lacrosse
My mistake, I misspoke. Yes, the TC button is the one I was referring to.

d2305

Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse
You need to find a diagnostic shop to sort this out. It's not something a tire store can figure out.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Did you try disconnecting the car battery and reconnecting after a few minutes?

Silkafi88

Buick Ownership
LAILA#2019
My 2007 buick lacrosse Started doing the same thing. It won't go on drive or 3rd gear, however the transmission engages on 2nd or 1st gear. Have you ever found the problem with yours?

G-53964

My 2007 buick lacrosse Started doing the same thing. It won't go on drive or 3rd gear, however the transmission engages on 2nd or 1st gear. Have you ever found the problem with yours?
I'm having the same issue

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Cell phone logins suck! You will get the "G" code if you don't use your original login & password.

G-145340

Hey, OP here-
I ended up taking it to a transmission shop. They never gave me a clean cut answer as to what was wrong with it. They just said I needed a transmission swap. Ended up giving it to my girlfriend. She paid for the swap and kept the car, plus gave me 400$ for the new tires I had just put on it. The swap was around 2700
I have an 07 now with 55k miles.

laurenstuart

Buick Ownership
Buick lacrosse 2008
I decided to test out the ABS on/off switch while driving at a low speed. I then pulled over after testing it out with ABS off and put the car in park/shut it off. Now it won't drive in 3rd or D. It will drive in 1st and 2nd, but something is clearly wrong. What could be the issue here?

No codes popped up on the HUD and no lights came on. I disconnected the battery and I'm hoping it'll reset the system or whatever this internal problem is. The car revs ALL the way up in drive, no power to the tires though. Same with 3rd gear.

Edit - TC is not working in 1st or 2nd, whether or not its switched on or off. Also, once I'm up to speed and I switch to drive it works, then once I slow down it cuts power to the wheels.
Hi I would like to know did you get your problem solve because my 2008 buick lacrosse is having the same problem rite now

StevenCee

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne
Hi I would like to know did you get your problem solve because my 2008 buick lacrosse is having the same problem rite now
And my 2006 Lucerne just did the same thing! Won't go in Drive or 3rd, only 1, 2, & Reverse! And this just as I was headed to work!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!