• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Car won't start, security light on

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
Been having trouble with the car only cranking sometimes. I was told it was the security and that I needed a master key programmed. Went and got that this morning And it cranked 3 times in a row. So after I got home and let it sit, went back out and now it won't crank again. We've been able to cross over the starter relay with a wire and crank it that way. Can someone please give me an idea of what might be going on here.

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
Yes I have. Well first he bought one and it was the wrong so I just swapped with another one that's for something else. It didn't help at all.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Where did you go for the master key and programming?
Did you call them to tell them you have an issue?

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
Where did you go for the master key and programming?
Did you call them to tell them you have an issue?
I have not called them because the issue started before, which is why I got the key made. It is better, it cranks most of the time now. I feel like it may be something with the switch as well. I am still worried about electrical problems because sometimes my heat and air won't come on. The buttons light up when you turn it on but nothing blows. I've also seen it come on by itself and when that happened I couldn't turn it off. Maybe there is a short somewhere?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
The two problems may be totally unrelated. Unless you can do work yourself having people on the internet guess what is wrong isnt going to help. You need to take the vehicle in to a qualified shop to determine what the underlying cause is of the various problems.

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
The two problems may be totally unrelated. Unless you can do work yourself having people on the internet guess what is wrong isnt going to help. You need to take the vehicle in to a qualified shop to determine what the underlying cause is of the various problems.
I do have someone helping me fix it. He is a mechanic just doesn't know a lot about electrical. Which is why I'm posting here. From what I could tell, that's what this forum is for. I'm a single mom and I cannot afford to just take my car to a shop so they can charge me a boat load of money. I appreciate the advice though thanks.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Did your mechanic check the battery voltage?
When it doesn't start, is the security light on ?

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
Did your mechanic check the battery voltage?
When it doesn't start, is the security light on ?
[/QUO
Yes plus it's a new battery. We also cleaned the terminals really good. It is a little better with the new key. It cranked for 3 days almost with no problems. I got in it last night to leave and it wouldn't start. He hasn't really messed with it over the past week or since I got the key.

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
And yes the security light is on when it won't start. Also the digital guage that shows the fuel info etc. goes haywire it shows a bunch of random letters and symbols.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Are you saying the digital gauge issue only happens when the car doesnt start?
The ignition cylinder appears to no longer recognize the key. If this happens intermittently the cylinder sensor has to be replaced.

Unluckymom

Buick Ownership
Are you saying the digital gauge issue only happens when the car doesnt start?
The ignition cylinder appears to no longer recognize the key. If this happens intermittently the cylinder sensor has to be replaced.
Would that be so if it's a new key? The guage does that most of the time now. It's been doing it since he had the tires put on. Idk if that's related.

Turbo Buick Badge