• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Cargo tray woes

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So recently I installed my hitch with the intentions of using it for a bike rack and a cargo tray. Unfortunately even though this wagon isn't as low as my Legacy GT wagon was it has the same problem. While the receiver height isn't that low if you put anything on that is an extension and you are SOL. In my LGT I ended up shimming the front mounting bolts so the receiver was slightly tipped up. Even doing this my bike rack would drag on some transitions and that was while approaching them on an angle.

Well sad to say the adapter I picked up for the cargo tray (1.25 to 2") is a no go. Even the moderate grade into my driveway doesn't work and my cargo tray has a folding mechanism so it has a built in rise. Since this tray only gets used when the vehicle is loaded up I will be even lower. I checked readily available risers and none appear to be long enough to clear the bumper. So has anyone tried to fit one of these up and if so what did you use?

At this point I am likely to just buy the tubes and weld something up to make it work, but I would rather buy something off the shelf if possible. Also I guess my dreams of lowering the ride height are out. Sucks because I think this car really needs a stiffer spring and the chances of someone making a stock height but stiffer spring are just about 0%.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Yeah, the problem is I need the back end of the 2" receiver to be 6" to the C/L of the 1.25 hole. I haven't found any that have that much of a projection hence the thought of welding my own up. Was just wondering if anyone else got one working already and could save me some leg work and fabrication.

Pathy01

To get that much projection from the hitch, you'd probably need a straight expander/extender and then the riser. Not sure I'd want 2 adapters between my hitch and the accessory so you might need to fab it up to get a single unit. Now I'm hoping that my euro mount ball with 4 5/8 rise works for my bike rack once my hitch arrives and I get it installed. It's got a 7 1/4 projection from the receiver hole to the ball center. It's a euro bike rack designed to mount to a 50mm ball that works fine with a 2" ball.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I bought this hitch and it came with a Euro style ball mount but I don't think I would ever use it. It does clear the bumper but it is close. Depending on the coupler overhang and how much play you have between the ball and coupler and ball mount and receiver I am concerned it may be too close to the bumper. I will try to take pics of mine installed so you get an idea.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Which hitch as the Curt is high and tight fitting?

Sportback rea springs? Airbags inside the springs?

Pathy01

I bought this hitch and it came with a Euro style ball mount but I don't think I would ever use it. It does clear the bumper but it is close. Depending on the coupler overhang and how much play you have between the ball and coupler and ball mount and receiver I am concerned it may be too close to the bumper. I will try to take pics of mine installed so you get an idea.
I just took a measurement and it looks like I have just over 5.5" from the center of the hitch pin pole to the back of the coupler. Sounds like I'm gonna be really close, but there are off the shelf alternative euro ball mounts to give me another 2.5 or 4 inches of projection for under $25 if I need it.

Last edited:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Which hitch as the Curt is high and tight fitting?

Sportback rea springs? Airbags inside the springs?
It is the Curt hitch I linked to on Amazon. Sport back springs might be stiffer but they are shorter so I don't think that would help. Air helper springs might be an option when fully loaded.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
OK so I am attaching a couple of pictures for reference. First is of the 1.25" to 2" adapter I picked up from HF to test fit. Second is a close up of the dimension from C/L of 2" hole to C/L of 1.25" hole. This is about 167mm or 6.6".

I then installed the adapter in the 1.25" receiver and took a picture from the side to show where the hole in the 2" receiver ends up. As you can see, not only is my car dirty but I think you will need the 2" receiver riser to have the back end at least 6" from the 1.25" hole.

Maybe tonight I can get a pic of the Euro ball mount for reference too.

Attachments

Pathy01

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like I'm probably going to need to 9 3/4 projection euro ball mount vs the 7 1/4 I have. Based on my measurements, I'm at about 14cm from c/l of 1.25 hole to the end of my coupler when mounted onto the ball, which based on that last pic, I'm guessing will put me at best, right against the bumper given the rise. I picked up my hitch at the dealership this afternoon, so I just need to install in and I can do some actual measuring and testing before I order anything.

Interesting note, I just looked at the installation instructions from Curt and they list the exact euro mount 2" ball part number that I already have, so maybe it will work after all. My coupler does not extend very far past the ball.

Last edited:

Pathy01

Attached are pictures of the sticker on the Euro ball mount and with it installed. There is only about 1.5" between the ball and the bumper. That seems too close to me.
Thanks for posting up the pics.

That looks to be the same euro mount I already have, and my bike rack coupler only extends about an inch past the ball so I may be in luck. I'll have to see once it's installed. It doesn't move a mm once it's clamped down, and there's more clearance the farther from the center of the vehicle you get since the bumper is convex. I'll post up pics once I install the hitch and test fit the rack.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
What bike rack? On my LGT I had one that had a knob to turn which kept it from rattling in the receiver. But the knob was too low and would drag on some transitions. Hope yours bolt up fine.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Why? Of course, you don't want the trailer's tongue to hit the bumper, but otherwise you want it as close as possible...
Because every coupler I have seen has a lip at the front which will likely eat up most of this gap. Then if there is any play in the receiver and or ball you are talking about it being fractions of an inch from the bumper.

Also, a few times when I have grabbed the trailer to hook it up to my wife's truck, as I moved it toward the ball the inertia wanted to keep it moving towards the truck. With her truck I have several inches of clearance so I have time to react. An inch and a half is just too close for me to be comfortable.

Pathy01

Alright, so I installed my hitch this morning and tested out the bike rack. It fits with just under a 1/2" of space between bumper and coupler. I shook, twisted, lifted and stood on the bike rack and it never got appreciably closer to the bumper. I think I'm gonna be good, although I'd like a little more space, like another 1/2-1" but the next off the shelf option puts me 2 1/2" further out and an inch lower, which I don't think is a better option. It's down on the black plastic portion of the lower bumper so there's no paint to worry about if somehow anything did manage to touch. I think I may just put a few layers of tape on the bumper and do a test drive with the rack loaded up to see if I see any evidence of contact.
15332 15333

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Wow...that is close! Glad to hear it isn't moving. I am still looking into my options.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
In case anyone is looking for something similar, I did find these on Amazon. They have some variation in rise and extension, but I like the way they were curved, I am hoping they will just wrap right around the bumper cover. For the cargo tray I will just buy a 2" receiver tube and weld it to the top. I just need to figure out which one works best and if I want to keep the folding feature for this car or not.
Amazon.com: CURT 45520 Class 2 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 1-1/4-Inch Receiver, 3,500 lbs. GTW, 3/4-Inch Ball Hole, 3-1/8-Inch Rise: Automotive
Amazon.com: CURT 45014 Class 2 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 1-1/4-Inch Receiver, 3,500 lbs. GTW, 3/4-Inch Ball Hole, 5-Inch Rise: Automotive
Amazon.com: CURT 45015 Class 2 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 1-1/4-Inch Receiver, 3,500 lbs. GTW, 3/4-Inch Ball Hole, 5-Inch Rise: Automotive

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
So Amazon delivered my Curt 45015 and my 49060. I decided on the 45015 because it looked like the clearance on the 45014 was going to be 1/2". I wasn't sure how tight they hold these parts dimensionally so I went with the longer one. As it turns out this gives me about 3" clearance. I picked up the 49060 to weld on, I just need to work on the layout with cargo tray. Below are a few pics in case they help someone else.

Attachments

Turbo Buick Badge