• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Caring for your Encore, interior and exterior--what do you use?

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Premium named "Java Joe"
Hi,

I've never had a car nice enough to care about this stuff, but I want to keep my Encore beautiful. Can anyone give me some suggestions about how they clean the leather? What brand do you use? What about the dashboard? And if you wash and wax your own car, can you recommend brands?

The dealership pushed hard to get the car done with Simonize Glass. I said no, not trusting dealer add-ons and from what I read on the internet. Did any of you get this process done? Does it make a difference?

Thanks.

sddale2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
I use Zaino Brothers products for the wash and wax. I use Lexol on the dash and plastic. Leather gets Griots.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I use Zaino Brothers products for the wash and wax. I use Lexol on the dash and plastic. Leather gets Griots.

Good choices. Execpt for me, I use Zymol on the outside, and Lexol for both the leather and the plastic and rubber. I have to mail order the Zymol, but Pep Boys or Advanced Auto usually have the best price for the Lexol.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

R&L's Encore

Buick Ownership
Buick AWD Encore
Rejex is a great paint sealant with an awesome long lasting shine. Easy on and easy off and a one step process. As far as the leather goes, save your money on leather conditioners and such. Most all leather on automobiles and furniture nowadays is "finished" leather, meaning it has a plastic coating over the leather. Nothing actually penetrates it. Mild soap and water is all it takes.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Rejex is a great paint sealant with an awesome long lasting shine. Easy on and easy off and a one step process. As far as the leather goes, save your money on leather conditioners and such. Most all leather on automobiles and furniture nowadays is "finished" leather, meaning it has a plastic coating over the leather. Nothing actually penetrates it. Mild soap and water is all it takes.

That's what I thought too until I was unloading it the other day in the rain and didn't wipe off the seats and door before I went inside. The next time I looked, the leather was all water stained. The Lexol cleaned it right up.

sddale2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioners in the past and they were good but thought it smelled a little strange. I liked the Zaino leather cleaner also and it smelled better but was on the expensive side. I just started using the Griots stuff and it smells similar to Zaino and was less expensive.

Some people don't believe in using any products on auto leather but I have seen some leather seats that look dry and cracked. I like the way my seats look after some conditioning so I just keep doing it.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
I've tried many products over the years, and have found that a lot of it is what works best with the person using them. I've seen great results with Zaino, but won't use it myself because I found it very difficult to use (hard to spread it thinly, and then was a PITA to remove). I personally found the Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze much easier to use and the results are great. One can add a topcoat of carnauba wax as a finishing touch if desired.

Zymol and Lexol both make excellent leather cleaners and conditioners. I think the Lexol is a little trickier to use since the conditioner is a spray. The key with leather conditioner is to massage it in by hand so your natural body heat warms the leather to aid working it in. The products do penetrate, and this will make the leather softer, more supple, and last longer.

For the dash, it depends on your taste. Aerospace 303 Protectant is probably the best for sheer defense of the material. I use it on vinyl convertible tops. However, I like more of a sheen on my interior components, and Vinylex (Lexol) provides some shine without being over the top. I use Armor All All Purpose Cleaner (NOT their icky protectant) for actually cleaning the dash or for removing spills from carpet and fabric, as well as all weather floormats and trunk mats.

I also recommend keeping some granular carpet cleaner on hand (like Resolve). Occasional use (sprinkle on, brush, vacuum) helps keep the interior fresh and pulls residues from the carpet without soaking it with a shampooer. I do use my household vacuum and shampooer on the floor mats.

I have a crate of other specialty products for one purpose or another, but I consider the basics to be a decent car soap, Wax/Polish/Sealant, Wheel Cleaner (I like the DuraGloss from CarQuest stores), interior cleaner, interior protectant, leather cleaner and conditioner (separate items) (if equipped), and glass cleaner (non-ammonia if you have tint, Stoner's Invisible Glass is a good option, others swear by Sprayway).

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I have used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioners in the past and they were good but thought it smelled a little strange. I liked the Zaino leather cleaner also and it smelled better but was on the expensive side. I just started using the Griots stuff and it smells similar to Zaino and was less expensive.

Some people don't believe in using any products on auto leather but I have seen some leather seats that look dry and cracked. I like the way my seats look after some conditioning so I just keep doing it.

Griots is some good stuff. Other than online, I have trouble finding it around. Just like Zymol.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I've tried many products over the years, and have found that a lot of it is what works best with the person using them. I've seen great results with Zaino, but won't use it myself because I found it very difficult to use (hard to spread it thinly, and then was a PITA to remove). I personally found the Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze much easier to use and the results are great. One can add a topcoat of carnauba wax as a finishing touch if desired.

Zymol and Lexol both make excellent leather cleaners and conditioners. I think the Lexol is a little trickier to use since the conditioner is a spray. The key with leather conditioner is to massage it in by hand so your natural body heat warms the leather to aid working it in. The products do penetrate, and this will make the leather softer, more supple, and last longer.

For the dash, it depends on your taste. Aerospace 303 Protectant is probably the best for sheer defense of the material. I use it on vinyl convertible tops. However, I like more of a sheen on my interior components, and Vinylex (Lexol) provides some shine without being over the top. I use Armor All All Purpose Cleaner (NOT their icky protectant) for actually cleaning the dash or for removing spills from carpet and fabric, as well as all weather floormats and trunk mats.

I also recommend keeping some granular carpet cleaner on hand (like Resolve). Occasional use (sprinkle on, brush, vacuum) helps keep the interior fresh and pulls residues from the carpet without soaking it with a shampooer. I do use my household vacuum and shampooer on the floor mats.

I have a crate of other specialty products for one purpose or another, but I consider the basics to be a decent car soap, Wax/Polish/Sealant, Wheel Cleaner (I like the DuraGloss from CarQuest stores), interior cleaner, interior protectant, leather cleaner and conditioner (separate items) (if equipped), and glass cleaner (non-ammonia if you have tint, Stoner's Invisible Glass is a good option, others swear by Sprayway).

Great tips!!

I usually try to do a leather conditioning in the summer when the heat of the day opens the pores in the leather and the conditioner soaks right in. If I do it when is cooler, some times I use a hair dryer and warm it just a touch, especially on the steering wheel.

I feel conditioning the leather in your car is well worth the effort. Especially the left side bolster of the driver seat. The buyer of my last car was amazed at the condition of the drivers seat after 9 years.

Funny you should mention Armor All. I think their protectant is junk and dangerous. It's seems to be a silicon based liquid that just coats the surface, and makes it shinny and slippery. Don't accidentally get any on your brake pedal rubber. It could ruin your day.

R&L's Encore

Buick Ownership
Buick AWD Encore
Leather conditioners on American made automobile leather is a complete waste of money, but if it makes you people feel better........

http://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/how-clean-and-care-leather-upholstery

And for what it's worth, I had a leather guy come to my house to repair a living room sofa and he told me the exact same thing. Mild soap and water was best for finished leather. Finished leather will not absorb conditioners.

sddale2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
Leather conditioners on American made automobile leather is a complete waste of money, but if it makes you people feel better........

http://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/how-clean-and-care-leather-upholstery

And for what it's worth, I had a leather guy come to my house to repair a living room sofa and he told me the exact same thing. Mild soap and water was best for finished leather. Finished leather will not absorb conditioners.

There are some people out there that say that waxing/polishing the outside is a waste of time too because the clear coat protects the paint. I like keeping the car looking good inside and outside so I take care of both. I wouldn't just use mild soap and water on the dash or plastic in the car so I wouldn't do that to the seats either.

CPatrice

Boston, MA
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore Premium named "Java Joe"
Hi Everyone,

I stopped receiving the daily forum updates for some reason,and so I didn't realize so many wonderful people had jumped right in there and responded to my question. but of course you did! Everyone here is awesome. The advice is great. As far as the debate of touching leather or not, well,as a woman who owns leather purses and shoes, it just makes sense to me that you do some type of cleaning and upkeep, just like I do on my more expensive leather items. I am going to e-mail the gentleman who sold me the car today and see what the official Buick line is about interior and exterior car care is, and I will pass that along.

It sounds like no one fell for the Simonize glass offer...which makes me feel good about my choice to decline.

14EncoreAWD

Buick Ownership
Buick
Only part of the seats that are leather are the middle of the cushion and back. The bolsters and headrest are vinyl.

R&L's Encore

Buick Ownership
Buick AWD Encore
Hi Everyone,

I stopped receiving the daily forum updates for some reason,and so I didn't realize so many wonderful people had jumped right in there and responded to my question. but of course you did! Everyone here is awesome. The advice is great. As far as the debate of touching leather or not, well,as a woman who owns leather purses and shoes, it just makes sense to me that you do some type of cleaning and upkeep, just like I do on my more expensive leather items. I am going to e-mail the gentleman who sold me the car today and see what the official Buick line is about interior and exterior car care is, and I will pass that along.

It sounds like no one fell for the Simonize glass offer...which makes me feel good about my choice to decline.

You absolutely should clean and upkeep your leather, just not condition it, it cant soak into the leather through the plastic coating they put over finished leather. Clean it with a mild detergent and then you should protect it with some sort of protectant against UV rays. I personally like the Aerospace 303.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
We just washed the outside with Turtle Wash with wax. Not touching the leather until the dealer looks at it, showing some wear and only has a little over 5,000 miles on it. The outside looks great. A gentle breeze outside should dry it fast. I scrubbed the black Weathercraft digimats with clear water and a brush. They show every piece of dirt, but grey ones would have been worse. I have the Titanium interior. Next we are washing my wife's new blue CRUZE.

mnmjackson

Macomb, IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Premium
I was forced into buying the Simonize coatings -- inside and out -- when I leased my Cadillac SRX. I had the SMART lease, which, to me wasn't smart for anyone except the car dealer! The package was expensive, but I didn't have to think about waxing after that. The protection was nice and the car cleaned up easily. However, when it came to leasing the Encore, I asked if I was "required" to again buy the Simonize protection. My salesperson asked if I was planning to keep the car after the lease expired. If not, she asked why I would want to spend this much for a leased vehicle? So, I didn't. The clear coat is still keeping the car protected and nice looking and I'm not out the grand or so it cost to "protect" the car.

Mike