• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

carplay

cwiesel

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Curious what everyone's experience has been with CarPlay? When playing music (Apple Music app), mine tends to cut out every so often like an old skipping CD. Have tried every combination of OEM and 3rd party lightning cables and various IPhones. No such issues with Android Auto. Wondering if this is an IOS thing or a my car thing?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Do you have a red needle or white needle car?

What version of iOS are you running on your device?

Are you playing downloaded music on the device or are you streaming?

Hopefully identifying these things will help narrow down your issue. I've never had a cut out problem with CarPlay on multiple different iOS devices/versions, but I use Spotify.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Well, I personally only use car play for Google Maps when I'm traveling to places I'm unfamiliar with. and Google Maps works great. As far as music goes, I bluetooth spotify with zero issues. You can always take the car in to the dealer with your concern, and your tech will check for software updates as a standard procedure. If there are no updates, your tech will start looking for bulletins or recalls specific to your concern. If it really bothers you, it's worth taking in to see what can be done.

cwiesel

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Do you have a red needle or white needle car?

What version of iOS are you running on your device?

Are you playing downloaded music on the device or are you streaming?

Hopefully identifying these things will help narrow down your issue. I've never had a cut out problem with CarPlay on multiple different iOS devices/versions, but I use Spotify.
White needle. Downloaded mostly. Latest version of IOS. Never use anything other than the Apple Music app so could be an issue there. Will give it a go with another app and see if it's isolated.

cwiesel

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
Well, I personally only use car play for Google Maps when I'm traveling to places I'm unfamiliar with. and Google Maps works great. As far as music goes, I bluetooth spotify with zero issues. You can always take the car in to the dealer with your concern, and your tech will check for software updates as a standard procedure. If there are no updates, your tech will start looking for bulletins or recalls specific to your concern. If it really bothers you, it's worth taking in to see what can be done.
I've been in recently for an oil change. I figured if there was something available they would have just done it. Ignorance on my part I suppose.

exlax2002

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
Curious what everyone's experience has been with CarPlay? When playing music (Apple Music app), mine tends to cut out every so often like an old skipping CD. Have tried every combination of OEM and 3rd party lightning cables and various IPhones. No such issues with Android Auto. Wondering if this is an IOS thing or a my car thing?
My car does the same thing. White Needles and running current iOS. At first i thought it may be muted notifications but i cant seem to figure out what causes it.

exlax2002

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
My car does the same thing. White Needles and running current iOS. At first i thought it may be muted notifications but i cant seem to figure out what causes it.
Only happens when directly plugged in via carplay and not via bluetooth.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
I've been in recently for an oil change. I figured if there was something available they would have just done it. Ignorance on my part I suppose.
Yea, you DEFINITELY need to bring any concern you may have to your Service Consultants attention. It has to go to a tech and go through a diagnosis process. I WISH there was a way to just do "auto updates". That would make my job and the techs job so much easier. Teslas do auto updates when they shut down every night. It would be great if GM would be quicker to jump on that band wagon. I will put this out there. I was reading a GM news letter the other day and came across interesting info. with the introduction of WIFI into the newer vehicles, GM is now working on providing auto updates via wifi. This will be something the customer can go into settings on the radio and check for updates. When will this happen? I dont know. But I anticipate its arrival

exlax2002

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
Yea, you DEFINITELY need to bring any concern you may have to your Service Consultants attention. It has to go to a tech and go through a diagnosis process. I WISH there was a way to just do "auto updates". That would make my job and the techs job so much easier. Teslas do auto updates when they shut down every night. It would be great if GM would be quicker to jump on that band wagon. I will put this out there. I was reading a GM news letter the other day and came across interesting info. with the introduction of WIFI into the newer vehicles, GM is now working on providing auto updates via wifi. This will be something the customer can go into settings on the radio and check for updates. When will this happen? I dont know. But I anticipate its arrival
If we connect the device to wifi hotspot and check for updates will that pull the most recent version of firmware/ software?

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I have several friends with Fords that do this already. Get a report emailed to them from their vehicle when this happens.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
If we connect the device to wifi hotspot and check for updates will that pull the most recent version of firmware/ software?
you can check the current software that is loaded to the vehicle. But you can't update, and it will not tell you if your current software is outdated. That will have to be checked at the dealer.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
I have several friends with Fords that do this already. Get a report emailed to them from their vehicle when this happens.
yea, it's not a "new" thing. It would be great if GM got with the program.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
you can check the current software that is loaded to the vehicle. But you can't update, and it will not tell you if your current software is outdated. That will have to be checked at the dealer.
My red needle car lets me do OTA software checks if it's on WiFi. There has never been an update, but it's checking for something.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I run waze through carply sometimes while listening to built in XM radio. It occasionally cuts out the audio for a split second every so often.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
My red needle car lets me do OTA software checks if it's on WiFi. There has never been an update, but it's checking for something.
I didn't know it lets you check. I was under the impression that's something GM was working on. The news letter may have just been referring specifically to OTA updates

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I didn't know it lets you check. I was under the impression that's something GM was working on. The news letter may have just been referring specifically to OTA updates
Yeah... it has a button to check for a software update. Then says 'You're up to date' after it checks.

Maybe it's the newer Infotainment doesn't have OTA? Odd they'd go backwards... but GM seems odd.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
I went back and read the news letter from GM. It is specifically referencing OTA UPDATES. It says the 2020 Cadillac CT5 will be the first to get OTA updates. And GM plans to have OTA updates for the entire line up by 2023. GM will also be the first major auto maker to provide OTA updates since Tesla. Ford will be following shortly after with OTA updates. So the News letter doesn't actually talk about software checks. The ability to do so may just be GMs way of sticking their toes in the water? GM has done stranger things in the past.

Pedal Commander