• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

carplay

Epsilon III

Buick Newbie
Northern, Illinois
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 2002 LeSabre Custom
My red needle car lets me do OTA software checks if it's on WiFi. There has never been an update, but it's checking for something.
My 2019 has the wi-fi software update as well so Im assuming they all have it. It is kinda buried in the settings and some people may just not catch it.

JenkkiMike

What does CarPlay actually offer? I looked at all the features when I got my Tour X and I can't find anything useful with it. The fact that the phone has to be connected with the terrible apple connector that only works if I get it at a perfect angle and the phone can sit perfectly still just makes it worse.

Really what is the point?

Google Maps- The car already has built in Nav that works fine
Audio Books / Podcasts- I can just play audiobooks or podcasts from the phone and cast it over the radio via bluetooth.
Iheart radio/spotify, etc. - Can just cast with bluetooth like above
Text messages- Terrible idea. You should be focusing on the road when you drive

I can see the maps feature being cool if you have a car with Apply Car play and no built in Nav but otherwise it's useless.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
What does CarPlay actually offer? I looked at all the features when I got my Tour X and I can't find anything useful with it. The fact that the phone has to be connected with the terrible apple connector that only works if I get it at a perfect angle and the phone can sit perfectly still just makes it worse.

Audio Books / Podcasts- I can just play audiobooks or podcasts from the phone and cast it over the radio via bluetooth.

I can see the maps feature being cool if you have a car with Apply Car play and no built in Nav but otherwise it's useless.
Factory Navigation is TERRIBLE. Google maps is more update on roads, also is better in remote areas, and in downtown areas. I constantly have customers coming in complaining about roads not showing up that have been around for years and factory Nav taking them in circles. If they have a late model GM product I ALWAYS recommend using google maps with AndroidAuto or Apple Carplay. For folks who have no issues finding roads and getting to your destination in a timely manner when using factory Nav, you have much better luck than folks in Texas. I personally only use AndroidAuto for Google maps, and it works great.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX

I gotta say that four months in and with lots of use, I've changed my mind...I also find the built-in Nav to be just beyond bad. I'll tell it to take me somewhere (often a school or other landmark) and about 2/3 of the time it doesn't even understand me. I speak clearly and with a Midwestern accent (fairly neutral as accents go). I'll do this repeatedly and with the same faulty results — it often comes up with places that rhyme with what I've asked it to retrieve. My requests aren't brand new buildings, they are years-old established places.

As part of the troubleshooting cycle, it then asks you to enter the address. If I had the freaking address I probably wouldn't need to ask the system for it. Annoying as hell. So much easier to use voice nav on my phone and then plug it in to navigate on the big screen. So yeah, BOO to the system nav. Not much of an improvement over my '07 Acura which was basically 2+ tech generations ago.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X

Ditto.

JenkkiMike

I haven't had the problems that you guys are having with the Factory Nav. I live in New England so there just aren't a lot of new developments and streets being added. I had an 07 Acura as well and that NAV worked just fine for many years too.

I'd give Google Maps a shot but like I mentioned in my previous post, the connector on the Iphone is such a piece of crap that it wouldn't reliably stay plugged in. I have to plug it in at a certain angle and gingerly place the phone down on the counter just to make sure it actually charges. There's no way I could keep it connected in the car. Not having Car Play work over Bluetooth is a huge failure. Interestingly my wife has an old ipad with the old wide style connector and I noticed that it stays put much better than the new ones.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I agree with the negatives... the Buick car nav stinks.

If you run your destination concurrently on two different programs, Buick's nav seems to lean towards major roads rather than quickest way. If you are no longer paying for Buick's premium service, it will not know to reroute you around traffic. On the other hand, Waze (access through CarPlay/Android Auto is live data, as it uses crowd sourcing to identify current road hazards, police, etc along your route. It is nice to know where speed traps are! And as Pacer69 stated above, it doesn't understand voice commands well. We may be able to sum it up by saying the system does not understand English. Entering destinations can prove to be frustrating.

Also, listening to music through a Bluetooth connection also degrades the sound quality as BT connections are not yet as clear as plugin sources.

Regarding text messages... CarPlay/AA will READ to you your texts and allow you to respond to those texts with your voice. This keeps your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel. I use AA and therefore someone may need to verify if CarPlay does this also.

The one plus I see using Buick's system over using CarPlay/Android Auto is that I love that Buick's navigation also shows the next turn on the smaller dash screen by the speedo. I love that feature.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I haven't had the problems that you guys are having with the Factory Nav. I live in New England so there just aren't a lot of new developments and streets being added. I had an 07 Acura as well and that NAV worked just fine for many years too.

I'd give Google Maps a shot but like I mentioned in my previous post, the connector on the Iphone is such a piece of crap that it wouldn't reliably stay plugged in. I have to plug it in at a certain angle and gingerly place the phone down on the counter just to make sure it actually charges. There's no way I could keep it connected in the car. Not having Car Play work over Bluetooth is a huge failure. Interestingly my wife has an old ipad with the old wide style connector and I noticed that it stays put much better than the new ones.
Sounds like an issue with your phone. Clean the crud out of your lightning connection port, perhaps?

The lightning connector is far better than the old 30 pin plug. I use a 180 degree lightning connector so I can toss my iPhone in the wireless charging slot without interference from the console lid. No issues in thousands of miles of driving. The bonus is that it’s a cooled slot so my phone stays cool while steaming music and running navigation for 6+ hour trips.

I’d you’re running a 30 pin plug, I’m sorry.

Pathy01

I agree with Rhetoric in that I've never had any issue with iPhone connectors and I've been using them since the 3GS. The lightning connector is so easy to use, I can't imagine why you're having a problem.

It sounds like you have either damaged the connector on your phone, it needs to be cleaned, or you're using a cheap, low quality cable.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I also have NO PROBLEMS with the factory navigation.

I “could” use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Inrex, AAA, Waze or any others that are available, but why?

Factory nav works just fine. I don’t have OnStar but if I did, doubt I’d use OnStar nav either.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
For me, the native voice recognition works better than CarPlay voice recognition (I have run each for one week of everyday driving). Hardly use onboard nav anymore - shutting down the app had a lot to do with it (I used to send destinations to the car via the app, but have zero interest in paying extra for that functionality), but agree the routing was really wonky. Google maps is my default for CarPlay, and works great. The streaming has been about even - occasional dead spots on Spotify in either Bluetooth stream or CarPlay. Sound quality for phones seems pretty even (Bluetooth is actually pretty good considering) - CarPlay does sound better for Spotify.

Pathy01

I also have NO PROBLEMS with the factory navigation.

I “could” use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Inrex, AAA, Waze or any others that are available, but why?

Factory nav works just fine. I don’t have OnStar but if I did, doubt I’d use OnStar nav either.
You'd use the other navigation apps through your phone to get live traffic and completely up to date mapping. Without the appropriate paid OnStar subscription for connected nav, you won't have traffic data, so while you can likely get accurate directions, they won't be as accurate with time estimates, or able to route you around traffic. Another way GM tries to nickel and dime their customers rather than use the industry standard SiriusXM NavTraffic that many of us already have with our Sirius subscription. I wonder how long before GM stops offering SiriusXM and comes up with their own connected music app so we can pay them for that too.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
You'd use the other navigation apps through your phone to get live traffic and completely up to date mapping. Without the appropriate paid OnStar subscription for connected nav, you won't have traffic data, so while you can likely get accurate directions, they won't be as accurate with time estimates, or able to route you around traffic. Another way GM tries to nickel and dime their customers rather than use the industry standard SiriusXM NavTraffic that many of us already have with our Sirius subscription. I wonder how long before GM stops offering SiriusXM and comes up with their own connected music app so we can pay them for that too.
I believe Google Maps also features built-in traffic congestion visuals, unless its been recently changed. Is that different from SiriusXM NavTraffic? Is one better than the other? I got an offer from Sirius for $60/yr, was thinking about taking it but not sure this includes NavTraffic.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I believe that offer is only for their all access package. Personally I prefer Google maps to their travel link data. I live about an hour away from NYC yet I have to travel about 2/3rds of the way there before I get traffic data. It seems they really only cover the major interstates.

JenkkiMike

I agree with Rhetoric in that I've never had any issue with iPhone connectors and I've been using them since the 3GS. The lightning connector is so easy to use, I can't imagine why you're having a problem.

It sounds like you have either damaged the connector on your phone, it needs to be cleaned, or you're using a cheap, low quality cable.
Thanks for the advice. I cleaned out the female connector on the phone with a toothpick and pulled out a concerning amount of lint. It is now functioning much better. Aside from some benefits of google maps over the factory NAV that were mentioned above, I still don't really see the point of Car Play. Is it just to be able to "control" the phone from the infotainment screen instead of the phone screen?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Thanks for the advice. I cleaned out the female connector on the phone with a toothpick and pulled out a concerning amount of lint. It is now functioning much better. Aside from some benefits of google maps over the factory NAV that were mentioned above, I still don't really see the point of Car Play. Is it just to be able to "control" the phone from the infotainment screen instead of the phone screen?
Yep. The point is to be able to use your apps on the internal car screen instead of needing to have the device in a holder or your hand. In addition to music and GPS, if someone texts or calls you can respond pretty seamlessly.

For me, I've been using an iPhone for GPS and to play/stream music in car stereos for a decade. Before CarPlay I was forced to use poor Bluetooth integrations or a 3.5mm jack... and some way to keep the device visible so I could see maps. Now I can hop in the car, plug in my phone, throw it in the console, and be on my way. Even when I'm not using routing directions in Google Maps, I still have it up in the car to see a map and traffic.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I don't bother much with CarPlay, but it works. I have a separate old ipod for music and don't keep music on my phone, and the car seems fine with my vintage iPod. The factory NAV for me has been adequate although rarely used. The part that annoys me is the text messaging works intermittently whereas my Chevy Mylink has awesome text messaging... you'd think GM would be more consistent. I would have expected them to develop one system and then just tweak it a bit for the different brands and models- but it's completely different and despite being newer, the Buick version sucks. Most of the time it won't alert for incoming texts, but sometimes will. When attempting to respond, it says it's not supported by my device- that being the same phone we use on MyLink without a problem. Whatever, but overall it's a competent system despite the audio portion on the Bose systems being completely hyped up for nothing. The Bose "upgrade" sounds about the same as most base model systems in other cars.

Pedal Commander