Carrying Lawn Mower Gas in Trunk

Smith1000

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't really like the idea of hauling containers of gas in the trunk of a car, but I do it. Do you carry lawn mower gas in the trunk of your LaCrosse and do you take any special precautions?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Any vehicle, not clear whats special about Lacrosse, approved gas container, don't overfill tank, secure gas container opening, secure container in vehicle, shortest distance of travel and leave area of vehicle where gas tank was held open to remove any fumes once it's taken out. Oh no open flames and common sense.

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
This is going to sound like a trite answer, for which I'm sorry (because I'm guessing you have to haul a lawnmower and/or gas for a reason).

I hate gasoline lawnmowers. I hate storing gas in and around the house, and especially in a car. I went electric for lawnmowers years ago, and haven't looked back. Originally a corded one, now a battery one as the battery technology has improved so much.

The thought of a typical cheap red plastic gas can in the sealed trunk of a sedan on a hot day makes me shudder.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I like to live life on the edge so carry in the passenger area - still here!

Smith1000

Buick Ownership
Buick
All good points. Makes me realize I need to figure out a way to cap off the tank/can while in the trunk. The ones I have are not "no spill" spouts and the fumes are likely the biggest danger.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Just a FYI, this isn't a approved container for carrying gasoline in your vehicle lol.
2202098.jpeg

FD611V

A spot somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Lacrosse CXL1956 Buick Century, 1978 Buick Regal, 1988 Buick Centrury, 1999 Buick Lasabre
Last edited:

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Some have to think of a better way to carry/haul items that shouldn't be thrown into a truck of a nice automobile.

Exactly why I keep an old beater Jeep Cherokee! 1991, 300,000 miles. Slight oil leak around the oil filter gasket. Solution: tray of kitty litter on the driveway under the front of the Jeep, and a couple of quarts of 10W-30 between (very periodic) oil changes. Great for hauling my messy German Shepherd dog around town too.

I did change the transmission fluid in the Jeep at 200,000 miles, mind you. When the line going into the radiator broke and a load of it spilled out. Fixed that, poured some of Walmart's finest into the transmission, and forgot about it.

New England
Buick Ownership
'14 Lacrosse Premium II
Some have to think of a better way to carry/haul items that shouldn't be thrown into a truck of a nice automobile. So, go buy you a trailer hitch system will bolt to the rear of the Lacrosse, and when you have that done order you one of these dudes. Problem solved in hauling that expensive gasoline.
I need one of these to transport any additions to my plasma tv collection over 55"! Thanks for the link!

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
This is going to sound like a trite answer, for which I'm sorry (because I'm guessing you have to haul a lawnmower and/or gas for a reason).

I hate gasoline lawnmowers. I hate storing gas in and around the house, and especially in a car. I went electric for lawnmowers years ago, and haven't looked back. Originally a corded one, now a battery one as the battery technology has improved so much.

The thought of a typical cheap red plastic gas can in the sealed trunk of a sedan on a hot day makes me shudder.
I remember that several years ago the national safety office of our federal government attempted to make a video warning people of the dangers of carrying gasoline in containers in the trunk of their vehicles. They used the common plastic containers with the lids screwed on tight. The "victim" car was rammed by another large vehicle expecting that the gasoline would explode. After several unsuccessful attempts without the anticipated conflagration, they resorted to qualified sharpshooter with a rifle to shoot a bullet through the trunk and the moment of impact to get the effect they wanted.
It is not that easy to ignite liquid gasoline. Only the vapors is a narrow range of air–to–fuel can ignite. I am not saying that it cannot happen but it is not that easy.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!