Cascada outer windshield fogs constantly

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
My first post, I have a 2019 Cascada, also a 2018 Cadillac ATS and a 2010 Tahoe. We live in Southwest Florida, very humid and usually hot. The outer windshield of my Cascada fogs up constantly, even when it us not calling for windshield defrost. Of my three vehicles, ONLY the Cascada does this. I do not wish to drive with the heater on in South Florida in the summer. My other vehicles show I should not have to do so, anyone else have this and solved the issue?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
My first post, I have a 2019 Cascada, also a 2018 Cadillac ATS and a 2010 Tahoe. We live in Southwest Florida, very humid and usually hot. The outer windshield of my Cascada fogs up constantly, even when it us not calling for windshield defrost. Of my three vehicles, ONLY the Cascada does this. I do not wish to drive with the heater on in South Florida in the summer. My other vehicles show I should not have to do so, anyone else have this and solved the issue?
Do you have cold AC air blowing on the windshield?
What do you have the climate control set to?
Do you have recirculate on?

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Hello HOtZ28, The AC is not set to blow on the windshield. I have tried the setting just to blow on the passengers, and also the feet, but some air seems to be blowing onto the windshield. I usually run with the air recirculating, but that does seem to matter either. I think the issue may be around cold air not intended for the windshield cooling the part below the dew point. But cannot find a way other than paper over the windshield vent which stops that from occurring. Not a good look. My other vehicles do not have this issue.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Have you checked the roof drains or felt if there are any wet areas in the vehicle. Moisture may be something inside the vehicle which can cause fogging, check the forum as a few posts on this by other owners.

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
I have not found any dampness in the carpeting or any place i can reach. I will see if i can find more on the roof drains.

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Thanks, I checked, drains appear to be open, there is no dampness in the carpeting of both Front or Back seats, I also checked the trunk (even tire storage) just to be thorough. Wouldn't interior water leaks cause moisture to condense on the inside of the windshield? I only have condensation on the outside. But it is never ending.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Something from underneath the hood is the only other area that moisture may be getting on the window.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Does this happen when the car is parked outside in the morning and the engine is cold?

Those who park their vehicles outside are basically at the mercy of Mother Nature as to temperature, humidity, dew point and whether the combination results in condensation. Selen, though, said one way to possibly reduce the amount of moisture that collects on your windows is to coat them with a water-repellent substance such as Rain-X or Aquapel, which both cause water to bead and roll off the glass. No guarantees, though.

Last edited:

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Something from underneath the hood is the only other area that moisture may be getting on the window.
I just had the hood up, checked the drain vents, nothing plugged. The underhood area is nice and clean, no indication of any moisture build up. I wiped down the surfaces i could reach. Dust but no mud. Thanks for the lead, but i don't think that is it. Even on a five hour drive, it does not clear up, it doesn't even become less foggy on the outside.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Your original post said "outer windshield" so I assume you did not mean the inside of the car, is that correct?
If so, the cold air blowing onto the inside of your windshield will cause condensation to form on the outside of the windshield if there is high humidity outside.
Looking for leaks inside the car only applies if the inside of the windshield has the issue.
You never specifically listed what you have the controls set to?

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Your original post said "outer windshield" so I assume you did not mean the inside of the car, is that correct?
If so, the cold air blowing onto the inside of your windshield will cause condensation to form on the outside of the windshield if there is high humidity outside.
Looking for leaks inside the car only applies if the inside of the windshield has the issue.
You never specifically listed what you have the controls set to?
Correct, it is fogging the outside of the windshield. We have tried combinations of recirculating the air, bringing in fresh air, with the air directed to the windshield, on the passenger only, and even feet settings, but there always is fogging of the outside. usually the temperature setting is around 70 degrees, I can get rid of it if i set the temperature up around 80. but then there is no need to have A/C... that is not a comfortable temperature here in SWFL. Also, that is not something i have to do in my other vehicles running with a temperature setting of around 70. Even with the Top down, we get the same results. It seems we are blowing cold air on the front windshield, no matter what the setting....

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Correct, it is fogging the outside of the windshield. We have tried combinations of recirculating the air, bringing in fresh air, with the air directed to the windshield, on the passenger only, and even feet settings, but there always is fogging of the outside. usually the temperature setting is around 70 degrees, I can get rid of it if i set the temperature up around 80. but then there is no need to have A/C... that is not a comfortable temperature here in SWFL. Also, that is not something i have to do in my other vehicles running with a temperature setting of around 70. Even with the Top down, we get the same results. It seems we are blowing cold air on the front windshield, no matter what the setting....
Have you taken it to a dealer to find out why you constantly have cold air blowing on the windshield?

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Next stop is the dealer. It will get fixed or my better half will be getting something else. From what I have read online I'm not encouraged.

Vector

Buick Ownership
2016 Cascada
Next stop is the dealer. It will get fixed or my better half will be getting something else. From what I have read online I'm not encouraged.
Well what have you read online?

Mine does the same thing, and it feels as if a little cold air is escaping and hitting the windshield, thus the condensation.
Frankly we have gotten use to is, as it is only a small patch close to the bottom, and does not interfere with visibility.
So while I am curious if there is a simple fix or not, I will not be getting rid of it over something inconsequential.

Naples2018

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Thank you all for your thoughts. The Dealer is still working on the vehicle, so i do not have the root cause to share, but I have learned the following bits and pieces.
1) The blower actuator is not working, you cannot get the air to change the direction of air flow no matter what the setting.
2) There are a couple of fairly simple things which can be tried,
- take the AC system out of auto, and attempt to cycle through the different setting (feet, passenger, windshield). You need to not be in auto so the system does not try to override your setting. If it does not cycle, something is keeping the actuator from cycling.
- if the actuator seems to be working, but not correctly (ie blowing air in the wrong place) you can shut of the vehicle, pull the AC fuse, wait 30 seconds, insert, and turn the vehicle on with the AC off. This should allow the unit to reset. There are three possible fuses, it was not clear which is the right one, two fuses under the hood, one in the passenger compartment.

right now the dealer has my dash tore apart trying to correct the issue.

I will post the final results when I get them.

Hope this helps someone else!

Coco17

Buick Ownership
Cascada
Thank you all for your thoughts. The Dealer is still working on the vehicle, so i do not have the root cause to share, but I have learned the following bits and pieces.
1) The blower actuator is not working, you cannot get the air to change the direction of air flow no matter what the setting.
2) There are a couple of fairly simple things which can be tried,
- take the AC system out of auto, and attempt to cycle through the different setting (feet, passenger, windshield). You need to not be in auto so the system does not try to override your setting. If it does not cycle, something is keeping the actuator from cycling.
- if the actuator seems to be working, but not correctly (ie blowing air in the wrong place) you can shut of the vehicle, pull the AC fuse, wait 30 seconds, insert, and turn the vehicle on with the AC off. This should allow the unit to reset. There are three possible fuses, it was not clear which is the right one, two fuses under the hood, one in the passenger compartment.

right now the dealer has my dash tore apart trying to correct the issue.

I will post the final results when I get them.

Hope this helps someone else!
What did you find out ? I have the same problem.