• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Caster/camber mystery solved!

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Lesabre limited
Happycampers
Regarding my cars caster issues I decided to look at the alignment sheet and noticed at the top Buick : lesabre 2001-2005.well of course my car is a 2000 so I decided to do some auto detective work and looked up the spec for a 2000 then the specs for 2001-2005 and wouldn't you know it the 2000 has different specs than the 1999 and the 2001-2005. It's in a league of its own and when I look at the caster specs for that year I'm actually within specs. So I can rest now.

Alan 55

Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Happycampers
Regarding my cars caster issues I decided to look at the alignment sheet and noticed at the top Buick : lesabre 2001-2005.well of course my car is a 2000 so I decided to do some auto detective work and looked up the spec for a 2000 then the specs for 2001-2005 and wouldn't you know it the 2000 has different specs than the 1999 and the 2001-2005. It's in a league of its own and when I look at the caster specs for that year I'm actually within specs. So I can rest now.

Thanks for this report. This may help others in future days.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Happycampers
How much different are the specs ? Front suspension different or was it the rear

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Happycampers
2000 model minimum caster left/right is 5.5 and maximum caster left/right is 6.5. On 2001-2005 minimum caster left/right is 4.25 and maximum caster left/right is 5.75.my current left caster is 6.1 and right caster is 5.8

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Oh it was probably just slight geometry changes with refinements To the body amd engineering doing tests. The improvements I can tell are fleet wise and retroactive If someome had a 2000 the new parts would upgrade the old. Idk

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Happycampers
I forgot to mention the 1988-1999 the left minimum caster is 2.5 and maximum caster is 3.5
I think I'll install my new rear control arm bushings and trail arms and make sure they use the right program on the alignment machine and after I explain everything I should get a free alignment. But yea after installing the Monroe quick struts you could actually look at the tire/rims and see this huge angle. But when compared to the master pro I couldn't visually detect any differences but I know they are there.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Happycampers
I forgot to mention the 1988-1999 the left minimum caster is 2.5 and maximum caster is 3.5
I think I'll install my new rear control arm bushings and trail arms and make sure they use the right program on the alignment machine and after I explain everything I should get a free alignment. But yea after installing the Monroe quick struts you could actually look at the tire/rims and see this huge angle. But when compared to the master pro I couldn't visually detect any differences but I know they are there.
I have Detroit axle and noticed the same. I am gonna take my spring off or struts and put on their dampener and see if that works

G-875756

I have Detroit axle and noticed the same. I am gonna take my spring off or struts and put on their dampener and see if that works
Yes I read about the removal of the strut tower for additional caster adjustment but it was to painful to read.

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Happycampers : I hope that works for you. I also forgot to mention that I was referring to the Caster on the front of my vehicle and not the rear.

MacGayver

Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
Happycampers
Thanks for sharing. Regarding front-end alignment... I was amazed that the GM manual says to remove upper and lower Strut bolts and drill out mounting holes in upper mount and bottom of strut bolt holes to adjust camber/caster. What is that? Currently replacing the control arms and entire front end on 2002 LeSabre and pondering if I should install the afternmarket adjustable bolts in the control arm and strut bolts to the knuckle. Hmm..

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Happycampers : If your car has never been wrecked and your replacing both lower front control arm and strut assemblies (do not use Monroe quick struts) check wheel hub assemblies for play and replace as needed and replace inner tierods and outer tiered ends and new front tires then align you shouldn't have to mess with the strut tower or change the bolts. I tried all of that on my 2000 and none of the Caster bolts worked on my 2000 lesabre which
came from the factory with no caster adjustment. Like I said with all new parts you shouldn't need to alter oem equipment and parts.

MacGayver

Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
Happycampers : If your car has never been wrecked and your replacing both lower front control arm and strut assemblies (do not use Monroe quick struts) check wheel hub assemblies for play and replace as needed and replace inner tierods and outer tiered ends and new front tires then align you shouldn't have to mess with the strut tower or change the bolts. I tried all of that on my 2000 and none of the Caster bolts worked on my 2000 lesabre which
came from the factory with no caster adjustment. Like I said with all new parts you shouldn't need to alter oem equipment and parts.
Thanks for the information. Agreed.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Yes I read about the removal of the strut tower for additional caster adjustment but it was to painful to read.
That is not related to what I said.
What I said was about the parts

What you read was reaming the bolt holes for the struts to allow for slotted adjustment. This is NOT necessary if you have good not worn parts. But if you are trying to adjust and don’t want to replace the parts worn or have another reason to need adjustment, it’s possible. It’s considered last resort or only when it makes sense which isn’t many situations but maybe someone’s.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Thanks for sharing. Regarding front-end alignment... I was amazed that the GM manual says to remove upper and lower Strut bolts and drill out mounting holes in upper mount and bottom of strut bolt holes to adjust camber/caster. What is that? Currently replacing the control arms and entire front end on 2002 LeSabre and pondering if I should install the afternmarket adjustable bolts in the control arm and strut bolts to the knuckle. Hmm..
In my professional opinion, no. If you are replacing the front end components, you should be safe. I did the same thing and brought those bolts with to my alignment and said if needed , use em.. the shop said they had no issue bringing the front end into spec with the parts being new.
This was on a park avenue, but the front end components are 99% the same.

the factory service data says to REAM, not drill, if additional adjustments are necessary. That should be considered a last resort option.
If your strut to knuckle bolts are not worn(are the splines present, not rounded off?) yiu are much better keeping those than using a cam bolt. Cam boots have less strength due to the design snd you want your heavy car with the proper fastener strength if you can help it. Especially if you live in a rusty area. The OE bolts are strong, have EXCELLENT coatings for corrosion prevention, and help your aligner by being splined. That means hey don’t need an extra set of hands to make adjustments

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Happycampers

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
I believe after I supported the front frame with Jack stands I used two smaller jacks and a two small blocks of wood to level out the control arms .