• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Center console contents for Amateur Radio / Ham Radio install

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
I’m interested in installing an amateur radio in a Regal Sportback. The device is about 2x6x10 inches. The area under the front of the center console look promising. Is there anything under there?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I’m interested in installing an amateur radio in a Regal Sportback. The device is about 2x6x10 inches. The area under the front of the center console look promising. Is there anything under there?
Will be interested to see morse code device.... mounting.
Just kidding... how much power and what kind of antenna ..big whip like on highway patrol series tethered in front.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
No doubt they have come along way since my cousin was into that in the 60's.
Did that go digital like everything else?

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Will be interested to see morse code device.... mounting.
Just kidding... how much power and what kind of antenna ..big whip like on highway patrol series tethered in front.
Ham Radio Operators don’t even need to know (or get tested for) Morse anymore.

To this old “Ditty Chaser”, that is blasphemy.

Great with a Msnual Key.
OK with a “Bug”.
Lousy with a fully Electronic Bug.

OK copying with a “Stick”.
As fast as you can send, I could copy with a typewriter or computer keyboard.

(I was good 😎).

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
No doubt they have come along way since my cousin was into that in the 60's.
Did that go digital like everything else?
Morse code is a digital mode. Just really slow transmission rate. A lot of digital modes are in use. It’s a fun hobby.

I’m still wondering if there is space under the center console.

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Ham Radio Operators don’t even need to know (or get tested for) Morse anymore.

To this old “Ditty Chaser”, that is blasphemy.

Great with a Msnual Key.
OK with a “Bug”.
Lousy with a fully Electronic Bug.

OK copying with a “Stick”.
As fast as you can send, I could copy with a typewriter or computer keyboard.

(I was good 😎).
Lol. Yeah, we’ve gone from slow digital Morse to high speed digital.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Lol. Yeah, we’ve gone from slow digital Morse to high speed digital.
Had not thought about morse being digital... that might be a little slow for sending video data.
When did voice transmissions on ham radio, convert from analog to digital?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I think they decided a transition was mandatory after 9/11. I think I read something about there being bandwidth issues and they needed to make sure they could carve out enough space for emergency responders.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
With apologies for changing the subject.

Kd4ttc - that looks like the front panel of a DEC PDP8e in your avatar. Am I right?
Now if it was a IBM 360 20 or 40, I might recognize it. But being a mainframe guy, unless its a IBM system7 have not a clue.

stembridge

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Having had to sell off all my Dad's gear a couple of years ago during the last stages of his dementia, my initial thought was, "How in the world are you going to fit one of these in the console?"

SW-717.jpg

(c:

es

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Heathkit reminds me of Dynaco, that had kits for stereo amplifiers and some pretty good speakers.

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Had not thought about morse being digital... that might be a little slow for sending video data.
When did voice transmissions on ham radio, convert from analog to digital?
Well ...
Amateurs use whatever type of transmissions they wish. Lots of analog FM transmissions on voice repeaters. Radiotelegraphy usually use frequency shift keying with one of many digital modes. Digital techniques are coming to the FM band, and many repeaters will handle both analog and digital modulation. It's in tremendous flux, which for amateur operators is a positive thing. Always fun to lean new things.

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
With apologies for changing the subject.

Kd4ttc - that looks like the front panel of a DEC PDP8e in your avatar. Am I right?
How do you know that arcana? You must have used one. They had a very characteristic look. Another Avatar I considered was the control consile for the CDC 6400, a mainframe machine. Or the deadstart panel. But the PDP8 was my first computer. You never forget your first time.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The PDP8/e was the first computer I used related to my employment. I had used several other computers in high school and in college (although all we ever saw of them in college was the keypunch machines and the line printers). The PDP8/e ran the lifeblood application of the first company I worked for. I ran them and later learned how to maintain and repair them (and a variety of peripherals).

A few years ago, I was employed by the government and housed across the street from the Smithsonian's American History Museum in Washington DC. One day at lunch time I walked over there. On the ground floor was a computer exhibit and sitting there in all it's glory was a PDP8/e. Definite flashback!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Well ...
Amateurs use whatever type of transmissions they wish. Lots of analog FM transmissions on voice repeaters. Radiotelegraphy usually use frequency shift keying with one of many digital modes. Digital techniques are coming to the FM band, and many repeaters will handle both analog and digital modulation. It's in tremendous flux, which for amateur operators is a positive thing. Always fun to lean new things.
Thanks for that refresher course on Ham Radio.
Sounds like it has gone the way of alot of other things in our society... just do whatever you want.
Probably can find someone out there that still does morse ...and some that speak pig-latin,
PS Keep in mind sign language might be hard to hear.

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Thanks for that refresher course on Ham Radio.
Sounds like it has gone the way of alot of other things in our society... just do whatever you want.
Probably can find someone out there that still does morse ...and some that speak pig-latin,
PS Keep in mind sign language might be hard to hear.
Doing what you want has it's limitations, Someone else has to respond! But Amateurs can use ham frequencies for remote control applications. Another big area is the convergence of internet with Ham radio. Then there is the contesting. It's really wide open. Another general rule is courtesy. All the frequencies are shared, so the experimenters stay out of the frequencies the Moon Bounce operators favor, and we all stay off repeater input frequencies.

If interested in more, look at the arrl.org website for more information.

Steve