Century doesn't like to start warm

david2018

Buick Ownership
2005 buick century, 2002 buick lesabre
I have an '05 century. 120k miles. It starts perfect when cold. Sometimes when it is warm it takes 5 or 6 times cranking to start. New wires, plugs, pcv, air filter, and fuel filter at 100k. Fuel pressure builds the second the key is turned to acc. After the 1st or second cranking it will stutter but not start. I noticed that if i only turn the key back to acc it will not start at all no matter how many times it cranks. I have to turn the key all the way off between attempts. After 5 or 6 tries it will start. Any thoughts or tests?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Have you noticed anything unusual with engine temperature readings, too cold, too hot?

david2018

Buick Ownership
Have you noticed anything unusual with engine temperature readings, too cold, too hot?
No oddities in temp. Runs great and does not overheat at all, even when idling for a long period of time. Gage is just slightly left of center.

BK3

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2002 Century
This is just a guess on my part - could be crank sensor. Crank sensors have been know to become flaky with temp changes.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NFortin198

Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Century Custom 3.1 2002 Buick LeSabre 3.8
I'm not saying that this is the solution to your problem, but I had the same exact problem with my 99 Century and it turned out to be the Cam Position Sensor. Due to its location, the area collect dirt , oil, coolant and other grime which erodes the wiring insulation causing it to give a continuous reading.

david2018

Buick Ownership
I'm not saying that this is the solution to your problem, but I had the same exact problem with my 99 Century and it turned out to be the Cam Position Sensor. Due to its location, the area collect dirt , oil, coolant and other grime which erodes the wiring insulation causing it to give a continuous reading.
I will check that switch. I know there is PS fluid leaking in that area also. Thanks

david2018

Buick Ownership
This is just a guess on my part - could be crank sensor. Crank sensors have been know to become flaky with temp changes.
Is there a way to test the crank sensor?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Could be the fuel pressure regulator, and there is a way to check it. Just google "GM 3100 fuel pressure regulator test"

Check the fuel pump relay too. maybe it get's hot and stops working.

From the symptoms you described, more likely it's the fuel pressure regulator.

MG3560

Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Century
I have an '05 century. 120k miles. It starts perfect when cold. Sometimes when it is warm it takes 5 or 6 times cranking to start. New wires, plugs, pcv, air filter, and fuel filter at 100k. Fuel pressure builds the second the key is turned to acc. After the 1st or second cranking it will stutter but not start. I noticed that if i only turn the key back to acc it will not start at all no matter how many times it cranks. I have to turn the key all the way off between attempts. After 5 or 6 tries it will start. Any thoughts or tests?
David, did you ever fix the problem with your 2005 Buick Century of it not starting when engine is warm? I ask because I just bought a 2003 Buick Century, and it is doing the exact same thing. :-( Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners