Century/Regal instrument cluster swap

CCSD

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I was wondering if it possible to take an instrument cluster out of a Regal and put it in a Century. I want to do this so I will have a tachometer. I have a 2000 century. I actually did this with a Taurus/Sable years ago. It was all plug and play. If anybody has done this, I would love to hear about it!

ccgCentury

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was wondering if it possible to take an instrument cluster out of a Regal and put it in a Century. I want to do this so I will have a tachometer. I have a 2000 century. I actually did this with a Taurus/Sable years ago. It was all plug and play. If anybody has done this, I would love to hear about it!
Did you ever find out if this is possible? I'd like to do the samething with my Century.

JohnJamieson

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Century Custom
Hey guys, I have attempted this swap and it does work....sort of

The speedo and shift indicator does not work but the tacho works. As well as my air bag warning light came on and it never has in the past with the century cluster. It must be a different pin out on the harness. Once I am done with my finals I will get to the bottom of this. If anyone has any wiring diagrams to post, please share, this will make finding the speedo signal wire easy.

-John Jamieson

UPDATE:
I recently discovered that it might matter what year your car is for the cluster to work properly, I drive a 98 Century and I can probably guess I grabbed a 2000 Regal cluster, as my car never came equipped with a tire pressure monitor and this model year Regal as I understand does. I could be completely wrong but the next time I am at a scrapyard I'll try to find one for my year.

Last edited:

Diecastmike

Buick Ownership
2000 Century
I just did it. Works 100% perfectly. I took a 2003 Regal cluster and installed it on my 2000 Century. Tach works as well as all other lights. Looks great! My Century cluster had the non functioning shift indicator & odometer. After checking the 4 resisters on the circuit board, I had one totally missing. However, the fault is the soldering on each end of each resister. You do not need to replace the resister, just re solder them. But, for me, I needed one! My only con with the swap is I'm stuck with the higher mileage of the Regal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.