• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Ceramic Coating and similar products

Aardvark

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
Hi all,
With the purchase of my first new car in nearly 20 years, my Tourx, I’ve decided to venture out into the world of hi tech waxes, sealants and detailing sprays.

I have the tri coat summit white paint and it is stunning in the sun - I was wondering if anyone here has experience and/or opinions on how to best care for these new high tech finishes.

I started waxing her last night and immediately started to see swirl marks forming, so I stopped. My micro fiber towels are all new and clean. The waxes I currently use range from maguires products to turtle wax ice and chemical guys liquid carnuba and mother’s detailing sprays.

The new paint has no swirl marks currently and it is not sitting well with me that buffing and polishing is going to create them.
Input and thoughts welcomed!!

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
I’ve been using Torque Detail products on my TourX since I got it. They’ve got a line of ceramic products that made my Ebony Twilight Metallic TourX look wet all the time and it lasts the better part of a year with routine washes. I get my detailing equipment from detailking.com; I’ve discovered there‘s a difference in microfiber cloths, and there’s a specific detergent used to keep them doing what they’re designed to do (lots of tutorials on their website, too). Others here will have their favorites too. Just do some research on what sounds good to you and let the data help you decide.

swegyptian

Buick Ownership
TourX
I paid a bunch to have Kenzo Ceramic applied about a year ago. It’s holding up very nicely, I either pressure wash or hand wash it. It’s so much easier to wash, and if it holds up for 5 years I’ll say it was money well spent.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
High Tech Coating for High Tech Paint
Unfortunately, our "high tech" finishes are also very very thin and kinda soft. I went the extra mile and had ceramic coat applied to the whole car and protective film applied to the high impact areas. The ceramic coat itself has done a great job reducing swirls. Dirt, and even tar, does not stick to it. Because of that, I find that I don't need to touch the paint nearly as much as I had to with a wax. I do not miss waxing one bit either...

The Products I Use
I have been extremely happy with the microfiber towels I've purchased from The Rag Company and highly recommend them. They are great quality and and don't leave fuzz behind like the cheaper towels do. They've held up well through multiple wash cycles too. The chemicals I use are from Adams, but I will not claim they're superior to any other product available... it's just what I researched and decided on, like @JoeBlog said.

Wash Technique
As far as wash techniques go, the industry has moved away from the two bucket method (soap bucket and rinse bucket) with a wash mitt. Now, the main method is to fill up one bucket with soap, water, and a dozen or so microfiber towels. Once a towel is dirtied, toss it and grab a new clean towel. This way, there is no risk of reintroducing dirt into the soap bucket.

More Info
Detail=LONG TIME!!
Your best cleaning tips!
Paint Protection Film & Ceramic Coat Installed

P.S. I feel like I am turning into one of those people that feels the need to tell everyone, "I do CrossFit." Except for me it's, "I had Ceramic Coat applied." I hope it doesn't come across the same way :LOL:

Last edited:

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I was a carnuba wax fan for years, using 3 step system with good results but it's a lot of work. For the Buick I decided to try Mother's CMX ceramic coating, it's the only product I have used on the Buick since new.

I did surface prep with a cleaner which goes on like liquid wax but doesn't have any wax in it, only cleans the paint to prep it for protective coating. Then I then wiped down car with a rubbing alcohol and water mix to remove any oils, etc then applied CMX.

CMX is a spray product and goes on and comes off easily, water beading is amazing, it lasts about 4-5 months but it is very easy to apply. I put it on plastic clasding and glass as well as paint, no fear of hard to remove residue. My car is silver so it's hard to gauge the shinyness factor but it is as shiny as I would expect. I also use CMX wash which is supposed to keep the coating up in between applications. I'm sure a professionally applied product done correctly could be superior but for the money and effort I'm satisfied with Mother's CMX product.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I have the White Tri-coat paint as well and I am considering the ceramic coatings.

In the meantime, what do you all use to safely remove tree sap, tar, bugs, etc.?

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I've been using a clay bar to get the tougher things off my white tricoat finish.

I've never owned a white car before... I'm shocked how much industrial fallout (small rust spots) show on this car.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
Hi all,
With the purchase of my first new car in nearly 20 years, my Tourx, I’ve decided to venture out into the world of hi tech waxes, sealants and detailing sprays.

I have the tri coat summit white paint and it is stunning in the sun - I was wondering if anyone here has experience and/or opinions on how to best care for these new high tech finishes.

I started waxing her last night and immediately started to see swirl marks forming, so I stopped. My micro fiber towels are all new and clean. The waxes I currently use range from maguires products to turtle wax ice and chemical guys liquid carnuba and mother’s detailing sprays.

The new paint has no swirl marks currently and it is not sitting well with me that buffing and polishing is going to create them.
Input and thoughts welcomed!!
Just an FYI - "Summit White" is the plain white without the sparkle. "White Frost Tricoat" is the sparkling white paint (at $1000 extra cost!).

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
In the meantime, what do you all use to safely remove tree sap, tar, bugs, etc.?
For the stubborn stuff that's leftover after washing, I like to use a waterless wash spray and a waffle weave microfiber towel. The waterless wash is just there for lubrication and the waffle weave pattern seems to grab onto tar and bugs better than your typical plush microfiber. *Keep the clearcoat lubricated* (did I emphasize that enough? lol) and make multiple passes with light pressure. Don't try taking everything off all in one go with heavy pressure or you will end up scratching the clearcoat.

For really stubborn stuff, any bug and tar remover or clearcoat safe solvent will do the trick.

I also keep a bottle of the waterless wash and glass cleaner in the trunk. If I'm away from home and want to clean few bugs off the front of the car or wipe away bird shit, it's handy to have.

obsoletemachine

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I too have a white tricoat paint on my Regal Sportback GS.

I would check out Pan the Organiser on Youtube, as he helped show a ton of products, his reviews on it and also his details on the best way to prep your car.

Personally, when I was ready to do a ceramic coating, I made sure to strip the car of everything I might had in respects to waxes or protections, followed by an iron remover, then a clay bar and finally an IPA wipe. Then, I had an actual clear bra protection applied to the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors.

After all that used The Last Coat ceramic coating. Products include Black Ice and AMP. I did this around August 2020, it's now April 2021 (8 months now), and the water STILL beads off amazingly well.

But like others have said, keep some detailer spray to attack bird droppings, sap or anything else to prevent problems. Good luck buddy!

Aardvark

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
Thanks all.
So after watching all the videos, I decided to buy the Mothers CMX ceramic spray along with surface prep spray.
Because I’ve never used it before I started in the door jams. Clay bar, surface prep spray and then applied the ceramic spray.
Since the paint is new, it came out like glass. I then moved on to the rear bumper where there was some road rash and scratches. Came out awesome. So I’m moving on to the rest of the car.
Looks so nice I’m doing my wife’s car and my Harley. This technology definitely cuts down on the rubbing and buffing, so I’m sold.
Thanks for the input guys.

hancox

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I too have a white tricoat paint on my Regal Sportback GS.

I would check out Pan the Organiser on Youtube, as he helped show a ton of products, his reviews on it and also his details on the best way to prep your car.

Personally, when I was ready to do a ceramic coating, I made sure to strip the car of everything I might had in respects to waxes or protections, followed by an iron remover, then a clay bar and finally an IPA wipe. Then, I had an actual clear bra protection applied to the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors.

After all that used The Last Coat ceramic coating. Products include Black Ice and AMP. I did this around August 2020, it's now April 2021 (8 months now), and the water STILL beads off amazingly well.

But like others have said, keep some detailer spray to attack bird droppings, sap or anything else to prevent problems. Good luck buddy!
Great advice on Pan. Learned a lot from watching him over time.

I went with Turtle Wax Seal&Shine, with beadmaker over it. Best of all worlds, in my mind. The note above about not having to worry about the cladding was forefront for me.

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Wash Technique
As far as wash techniques go, the industry has moved away from the two bucket method (soap bucket and rinse bucket) with a wash mitt. Now, the main method is to fill up one bucket with soap, water, and a dozen or so microfiber towels. Once a towel is dirtied, toss it and grab a new clean towel. This way, there is no risk of reintroducing dirt into the soap bucket.
Thank you for this tip. Going to utilize this technique for my next wash. I've always used the two bucket method but this seems so much more efficient while also even further reducing the amount of dirt you are spreading back onto the car after rinsing the mitt. Glad I pop into the new Regal forum from time to time ;).

Get your turbo buick badge right here!