• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Changing color of TourX wheels?

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
I'm interested in painting/powder coating/coloring my stock TourX wheels to go for a black/dark grey look. I have the car in the grey color, and I'd like to move away from the machined look and lose the shiny aluminum finish. Any advice on the best way to do this? Has anyone done this?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
The most durable way to do that would be to media blast the existing powder coating off and have them re-done in the finish of your choice. Some have done it with Plasti-Dip, but you’d need a robust surface for it to grab onto if you’re gonna use the wheels year round.

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
The most durable way to do that would be to media blast the existing powder coating off and have them re-done in the finish of your choice. Some have done it with Plasti-Dip, but you’d need a robust surface for it to grab onto if you’re gonna use the wheels year round.
thanks! sounds like the key is to remove the existing coating completely -- but would i have to do something different with the shiny bits so the new finish will adhere to those parts?

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
thanks! sounds like the key is to remove the existing coating completely -- but would i have to do something different with the shiny bits so the new finish will adhere to those parts?
The center cap could be Plasti-Dip coated; it’s pretty much outside any area that’d get curb rash. The lug nuts might be available in a darker finish; I’ve never checked into it, but there’s a website for every desire these days

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I'm interested in painting/powder coating/coloring my stock TourX wheels to go for a black/dark grey look. I have the car in the grey color, and I'd like to move away from the machined look and lose the shiny aluminum finish. Any advice on the best way to do this? Has anyone done this?
Guy on the TourX FB page did it. Stripped and powder coated. You have to be a member of the group to see it.
1651666803271.png

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
They look pretty good in sliver! But here are some photos of the look I'm going for... these look like the stock wheels. The white one has the wheel caps still in silver ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

0a127e7371364ea29ddba522c9b2624d.jpeg img-5-960x.jpeg

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
I'll be honest. I just did my first good car wash of the year, and detailed the wheels and black trim...and the stock wheels look pretty good. Still not a great wheel design, but a pretty good one ;-) Cleaning up the dust and road grime made things dull.

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
The Cascada rims, or the Impala rims would look way better on the Tourx imho. The current rims are yuck. And I believe the sizes are the same.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
The Cascada rims, or the Impala rims would look way better on the Tourx imho. The current rims are yuck. And I believe the sizes are the same.
2014 and newer Impalas are 5x120mm bolt pattern, and do not fit the TourX (5x115).

Detroit Metro
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX
I used HyperDip Shadow Black as a weekend project. And here are the results...

Not perfect, but the spray is really forgiving for DIYers.

I'll see how durable it will be especially during tire rotation. but considering it's a <$100 job, it scratches my itch for now.

Taking votes on making the lug nuts chrome again. What do you think?

Attachments

• My Wheel 2.jpg
    My Wheel 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 13
  • My Wheel 1.jpg
    My Wheel 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
I used HyperDip Shadow Black as a weekend project. And here are the results...

Not perfect, but the spray is really forgiving for DIYers.

I'll see how durable it will be especially during tire rotation. but considering it's a <$100 job, it scratches my itch for now.

Taking votes on making the lug nuts chrome again. What do you think?
See now that looks great. Even the frumpy shape of the stock spokes is “better”.

CapnPZazz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx Essence
Cool, I’ll have to look into that. Seems as though the Tourx is the same body wise as the gs in a lot of respects