Changing Engine Air Filter.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Can I just use a regular screwdriver to remove the Air Filter housing, or I have to go buy torx screwdriver ?

Also do I need to remove the electrical connector on top of the housing and also loosen the air intake clamp?

Thanks.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I used a phillips screwdriver and I didn't remove the electrical connector or the intake hose clamp. Just loosen the screws, lift the lid, remove old air filter and replace with new air filter, then close the lid and tighten the screws.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
Thanks. The owners manual gives all these complicated instructions, it actually sounds very easy.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
I ordered and installed the air filter specified in the owners manual, A3128, a paper pleat design.

Turns out that the air cleaner factory installed was A3175, which also has a thin flat foam liner on the bottom. You would think they could get the part number straight. Which is better or no difference?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The Puralator air filter I installed didn't have the foam pad and it seems to work fine.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership

I am surprised you didn't go for the K&N air filter. Are they too much of a bother? They add about 5 HP, I think.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
A K&N air filter don't seem to filter as well as a paper filter. Plus if it's over oiled the oil can contaminate the MAF sensor. So a 5hp gain isn't worth all that.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
FYI, the foam pre-filter is designed for cold climates and protects the paper pleats from getting clogged by the snow and ice that might get through the air intake. For very dusty areas it might protect against large particles that might otherwise get through, but how many people will clean the foam liner?

In other words, the foam strip is not needed in warmer climates like Florida.

Last edited:

Mackiesback

MInnesota
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II-Trifecta Tune
FYI, the foam pre-filter is designed for cold climates and protects the paper pleats from getting clogged by the snow and ice that might get through the air intake. For very dusty areas it might protect against large particles that might otherwise get through, but how many people will clean the foam liner?

In other words, the foam strip is not needed in warmer climates like Florida.

That's interesting, I have never heard that theory. First, it would be awful tough for snow to make it that far upstream in frozen form, and second, airfilters are borderline unneccesary in the deep winter. Snowblowers and such don't even have them. I would have guessed that the foam was just another level of dust protection.

Mackiesback

MInnesota
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II-Trifecta Tune
Get your turbo buick badge right here!