Check engine light and stuck drive button '21 Envision

jrkmo1

Buick Ownership
2021 Envision
Anyone else have an issue with their check engine light coming on? I was driving last Friday and the light came on. I pulled into a parking lot and shut off the engine to see if a restart would reset any problem that was happening. When I turned the car back on, the D button would not depress. It was stuck in the up position. Manual would not work, but Reverse and Neutral did. I reversed into another parking spot, to see if I could get it into drive, but didn't have any luck. I turned it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes then tried again. The light was still on, but this time the Manual button allowed me to drive. I could not get the D button to move at all.

I drove to my destination and parked it for about 90 minutes. When I came back to the car, I had the same issue, but the Manual button would not override and I could do nothing but reverse. I ended up calling Roadside assistance and when the tow showed up, we tried the Manual button again before pulling it on to the flatbed. It worked and I drove it onto the flatbed and had it towed to the dealer. Once in the lot, after getting it off the tow, I tried the D and M combos again and nothing worked.

While waiting, I looked online for any similar issues and saw that some people have reported a check engine light after the car was turned off without putting it into park first. I actually remembered doing that just before my issue popped up, so I figured it would be a quick reset.

When the dealer called me the next morning, they told me they found a "sticky substance" on the D button and once they pressed hard enough, the button functioned. The check engine light did NOT go off after the button started working. They didn't have time to do a full diagnostic that day, but they told me if they determine the sticky substance was the cause, it will not be covered under warranty. I'm holding my breath.

I do not drink anything in the car typically, and when I do, it's water only. I don't drink soda, tea or anything sugary. I'm the only driver of the car and my kids don't ever have drinks up front, unless they are in the cupholder coming back from from a fast food pickup. I have no recollection of a spill ever happening in the car.

Even if a spill happened, I don't quite understand how that would trigger a check engine warning.

The only thing I can think of is that I bought this as a dealer demo model, so there were salespeople who drove the car for the first 6k miles, but that was almost a year ago. I find it highly unlikely that the button was not sticky at all when I started my drive (or at any point that week) and only became stuck once the check engine light flashed on.

Just curious if anyone else has encountered a similar issue or has any advice.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How much time could they have spent if all they did was press hard on the button?
Without knowing the code that caused the check engine light to come on noway of knowing how it's related to the shift problem.

jrkmo1

Buick Ownership
2021 Envision
Not much. They just said if when they do the full diagnostic this week, if they determine the sticky substance was the cause, then I have to pay out of pocket for the diagnostic and the repair.

They supposedly only had a high level diagnostic that said there was an issue with the engine, but didn't have the detailed code. The tech said he didn't think it would be related to the button being stuck, but couldn't guarantee it. All I know is the button wasn't sticky to the touch and didn't feel abnormal at all when I was driving it the hours before the engine light came on. As soon as the light came on, the button was not movable by me, for fear of breaking it in some way

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
It literally takes maybe a minute to plug the tool in, start the engine and read the code. Have you used this dealer before? Ask them for the OBD2 code?

jrkmo1

Buick Ownership
2021 Envision
I have used them and they are a reputable dealership. It was towed in on a Friday night and on Saturday they typically only do check ins and oil changes. Basically they are swamped. They hope to be able to get it in and fully look at it this week. I understand the delay because of the backlog. I just am dreading the potential argument about whether or not something spilled on the controls, because I know nothing did, but have no way of proving it.

Buick Ownership
2021 Buick Envision
If they come up with the "sticky substance" excuse, don't be too quick to accept that. Sometimes you gotta show them you're not always gonna accept what they say. Dealers sometimes look for "number 1", and that AIN'T you.

jrkmo1

Buick Ownership
2021 Envision
Well it turns out it was crumbs that got lodged somewhere in the driver button, forcing it to lock in the up position. Once the button wouldn't go down, that triggered the sensor for the check engine light. Clear the crumbs, the button moves freely and the light goes off. I didn't think I was that messy of an eater, but who knows. Maybe it was a freak thing or maybe it's a design flaw that allows stuff to get in those nooks and crannies. Either way, I'm going to be more careful in the future.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Last week I cleaned that shift button area with a yellow microfiber towel. Last night I just happened to notice a little yellow something down there and upon closer inspection, there was a yellow towel woozy that had gone down into the button area, seemed quite irretrievable. So by attempting to keep it clean, I've done the opposite, story of my life :)

Maybe a button cover should be put over the area and then flipped open to use the switches, a la James Bond.

article-2271977-174957EA000005DC-396_634x476.jpg

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!