• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Check Engine Light P0299 - Turbo Underboost

LuvMyEncore

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore
2013 Encore with 56,000 miles.

Got the check engine light last week, took it into the dealer, they inspected the turbo, declared it healthy, reset the check engine light and sent me on my way. 2 days later, check engine light is on again, OnStar verified the same P0299 error code, back at the dealer today... :(

LuvMyEncore

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Encore
Just heard from the dealer. They contacted GM, GM said to replace the turbo. Of course no parts in stock but should have them tomorrow morning and have it finished tomorrow afternoon. And, they gave me a 2015 Verano as a loaner until it is done. :)

Detroit, USA
Just heard from the dealer. They contacted GM, GM said to replace the turbo. Of course no parts in stock but should have them tomorrow morning and have it finished tomorrow afternoon. And, they gave me a 2015 Verano as a loaner until it is done. :)
Hey LuvMyEncore,

We are happy to hear that your experience with the dealership went well and that the concern with your Encore is being fixed. Keep us posted and feel free to reach out to us with any future questions or concerns. In the meantime, enjoy the Verano!

All the best,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

cino135

A Regular
Tampa FL
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS 3 stage pearl white, 20' OEM chrome
Sorry to dust off such an old thread......but I just got the same code today. Is replacement of the turbo standard protocol from the dealer/ Buick? I'd honestly be shocked if this is what they'd do.....but I'm honestly hoping this could lead to a turbo upgrade with my (happily willing) financial assistance?

G-506662

Hey LuvMyEncore,

We are happy to hear that your experience with the dealership went well and that the concern with your Encore is being fixed. Keep us posted and feel free to reach out to us with any future questions or concerns. In the meantime, enjoy the Verano!

All the best,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care
You are Lucky LuvMyEncore.i bought my 2014 Buick encore in January 2019. It's been in the dealer for turbocharged problem 6 times in February,in March, in April now may. I took it in May 6 and "they fixed" today May 16 same problem. I will be taking it in tomorrow for the same problem. It's been 5 months 6 times.😡 Let see what they will say tomorrow. This car it's been a totally a nightmare. I'm worrying about my son safety. Because the turbo keep failing and is afraid being in the highway where he have to change lanes and the car don't accelerate to pass to the next Lane. Sometimes he have to pull over till traffic slow down. I had been in the ER due to the stress level been so high this car is driving me insane 😡 I pray everyday that my son is safe Everytime he drives the car. 6 times in the dealer for the same problem is ridiculous. GM should do something about it. I can't sell it and someone else to have this problem or get hurt. It can cause a pail up in a highway. Very dangerous problem.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
You are Lucky LuvMyEncore.i bought my 2014 Buick encore in January 2019. It's been in the dealer for turbocharged problem 6 times in February,in March, in April now may. I took it in May 6 and "they fixed" today May 16 same problem. I will be taking it in tomorrow for the same problem. It's been 5 months 6 times.😡 Let see what they will say tomorrow. This car it's been a totally a nightmare. I'm worrying about my son safety. Because the turbo keep failing and is afraid being in the highway where he have to change lanes and the car don't accelerate to pass to the next Lane. Sometimes he have to pull over till traffic slow down. I had been in the ER due to the stress level been so high this car is driving me insane 😡 I pray everyday that my son is safe Everytime he drives the car. 6 times in the dealer for the same problem is ridiculous. GM should do something about it. I can't sell it and someone else to have this problem or get hurt. It can cause a pail up in a highway. Very dangerous problem.

Well, then perhaps you should file a complaint with the NHTSA. But don't let a car stress you out that much. Get rid of it first. Have you tried a different dealer? Any GM dealer can work on it. The Chevy Trax is mechanically the same vehicle.

EncoreNotSure

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
After a nightmare with my 2011 Equinox and dumping $7k into it only to be stranded 3 times in a month I was about to swear off GM altogether but decided to give the 2019 Buick Encore a try. Other than getting used to the lack of cargo space and feeling every bump in the road, I do like the look of it, the height and gas mileage. I'm still adjusting to the smaller size vs what I'm used to. What I wasn't planning on was having it for only 4 mos and seeing the horrific check engine light after everything I just went through! I quickly took it to the dealer to find out what the problem was and they could find nothing wrong with it?? According to my invoice the code was the P0299. So they sent me on my way after clearing the code. After researching this code I'm starting to worry. I had noticed hesitation at times when starting out from stop signs and some rough idling at red lights recently. I thought it was in my head and some sort of PTSD from flashbacks of my Equinox letdowns. But apparently my fears could be real after reading this and I'm concerned as we are planning on driving this car in the near future on vacation. I'm really hoping that GM is not going to let me down again. I have only driven GM vehicles since I was 16 and this is my first and possibly last?? Buick/GM. If anyone has any helpful info on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Hoping I do not see this code again! But I have a bad feeling....

Last edited:

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Regarding EncoreNotSure....

Yes, I would also be a little nervous.
A little disconcerting that the dealership could give no explanation as to why it may have thrown that code.
I am assuming they ran some diagnostics on the turbocharger.
Hopefully it was a just a minor sensor glitch.

In case anybody else wants to weigh in, here's some additional info.
A P0299 generally pertains to the supercharger/turbocharger and may indicate an under boost condition.

Here's more detail:
P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

EncoreNotSure

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
Regarding EncoreNotSure....

Yes, I would also be a little nervous.
A little disconcerting that the dealership could give no explanation as to why it may have thrown that code.
I am assuming they ran some diagnostics on the turbocharger.
Hopefully it was a just a minor sensor glitch.

In case anybody else wants to weigh in, here's some additional info.
A P0299 generally pertains to the supercharger/turbocharger and may indicate an under boost condition.

Here's more detail:
P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition
Yes KevinJ they called it a "hiccup" in the system :confused: The turbocharger makes sense as I was doing a lot of highway driving that day. Again nervous about the trip we are planning. I guess that will be the real test. I already have 8700 miles on it and mostly highway driving commuting to work hence the need for a reliable vehicle, so I thought?? If it appears again I will make sure they are addressing the turbo charger. It is an established Chevy dealership who had recently started selling Buicks so maybe they are not aware?? I hope GM is monitoring if this a common problem. Thank you for your input!

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
It is an established Chevy dealership who had recently started selling Buicks so maybe they are not aware?? I hope GM is monitoring if this a common problem. Thank you for your input!
Mechanically the Encore shares most of the same drive train as the Trax and Sonic. So yes, they should have at least a clue what they are looking at. Also, an established dealer doesn't mean they have a competent service center. Any GM dealer can work on it. Maybe get a second opinion from another dealer?

EncoreNotSure

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
I
Mechanically the Encore shares most of the same drive train as the Trax and Sonic. So yes, they should have at least a clue what they are looking at. Also, an established dealer doesn't mean they have a competent service center. Any GM dealer can work on it. Maybe get a second opinion from another dealer?
DocBrown I agree. It seems they have a high turnover rate there lately and I have to wonder if they didn't play a role in the destruction of my Equinox to assist me in purchasing a new vehicle when I clearly did not want to. We've dealt with them for about 7 years now and had never had any problems in the past, but always new staff, service managers etc lately? Anyway it's not thrown any further codes yet. Still noticing slight hesitation at times and a little jerkiness. Maybe that's normal for the Encore? I have definitely considered a second opinion if this continues. Just really discouraged as I was hoping this would be a long lasting reliable vehicle as I thought Buicks were meant to be. Did not expect check engine lights less than 6 mos into a new vehicle.

Pedal Commander