Check engine Light

g_551119

I keep having the check engine light come on in my 2014 Buck Encore. We have replaced sensors, air filters, the valve cover, spark plugs. Every time it clears the code and we get an OK emission report and then a day later it turns on again!!!

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
You can't do it that way. You need to get the fault code your car is storing. Then replace that part or sensor, and then clear the code.

Bad air filters, spark plugs and valve covers do not have specific fault codes to set off your check engine light.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
What is the code?

crakkus

Buick Ownership
Buick
so, you get a CEL and dont even know the code? hmmmmmmmmmm

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Instead of replacing each part in the car and hoping it's right, just replace the car it will be cheaper in the long run lol.

Your vehicle problems are the same as going to the doctor, he could just guess what to give you and hope it's right or he could do a examination and know what to give you.

So get the vehicle scanned for the codes, then it will tell you what is wrong, not exactly where but it will get you closer then tossing parts at it, hopefully you will find the right area to focus on.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
You can get the codes scanned for free at most auto parts stores. Better yet you can spend less than $30 and get a Bluetooth OBD II scanner and the Torque app. Read the codes your self and avoid the hard sell on parts you may not need.

Why did you replace the valve cover? Nothing about the valve cover itself would set off a code.

ken-clifton

Buick Ownership
2018 Encore Premium
I have seen a bad PCV valve cause the CEL, and the Encore 1.4L LUV engine has a plastic valve cover with an integrated PCV valve... So replacing that was a logical step in my opinion. AFIK GM does not sell the PCV valve diaphragm separately, but Dorman does sell a kit (link) to fix it if you don't want to purchase a whole new valve cover just to fix the PCV.

Another possibility might be the other PCV integrated into the plastic intake manifold on these engines. It reportedly has a very high failure rate. You can read about the whole PCV system on the 1.4L Turbo over at the CruzeTalk forum (link to specific article).

Get your turbo buick badge right here!