Choo-Choo-Choo sound on each tire revolution?

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Ave Ultra 1993
Thread starter #1
So, just finished installing new Cardone driver & passenger CV axles , KYB Struts-Plus & Moog Outer Tie Rods attempting to eliminate a very loud clickety-clack sound and the rotors, calipers and pads are all just 9 months old. Believe I've eliminated the original clickety-clack but haven't dared go above 35mph yet as now getting a choo-choo-choo seemingly on each tire spin.

I haven't gotten a wheel alignment yet as just took her off the jackstands 30 minutes ago. Doubtlessly need one as now have to turn steering wheel a quarter turn to the right to maintain a straight line. It sounds more like tire rubbing against something but they are clear of any obstruction. Tires have less than 200 miles on them.

Is this choo-choo sound what is called "tire squealing" meaning see if alignment fixes it?

Zeroboostbuick

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Sounds like a brake pad is rubbing on the rotor. Probably because your alignment and s way off. Or brake pads are not aligned or something like that.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
A tip for anyone changing outer tie rod(s)

When changing outer tie rods I measure to the center of the original outer tie rod before removing it, to determine a baseline for the new tie rod.

I usually measure from the end of the inner tie rod boot to the center of the outer tie rod.

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Thread starter #5
Ah!
Yes, definitely a possibility.
Had to compress the piston to gain enough room to reinstall the caliper and the inboard brake pad kept falling out of the piston as if the retainer spring clips weren't strong enough to secure it in place.
Thought that once I had it mounted it couldn't dislodge itself but that was probably untrue.

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Thread starter #6
can you support the front lower control arms on jacks and start the car to determine the source of the noise.
I'll have a go at this in a bit. Tried this before when the CV axle was making noise but when I step on the gas only the driver side tire spins and I didn't hear the clikety-clack. Actually, that probably should have clued me in that the passenger side was the problem.

Also I'm reading the service manual now and apparently when reinstalling the caliper I should have used at least two wheel nuts to secure the rotor in place to better center the caliper. Nah, that makes no sense, wouldn't the mounting bolts center the caliper when torqued down?

Also I have the hex key mounting bolts and have yet to find a hex key socket thingmajigger to be able to use my torque wrench on the mounting bolts so just gave a 1/4 turn with wrench on hex key shaft after hand tightening.

Oh, I also failed to:
1. Lift rubber boot of piston to remove trapped air as brakes do feel squishy a bit
2. Apply approximately 175lb force three times to brake pedal to seat lining.

Buick Ownership
Another tip for lining up the brake pads... Take a couple of the wheel lug nuts and 2 much larger nuts (to use as a washer/spacer between the lug nut and rotor) and secure the rotor on the hub so it's 100% flat. Install the brake pads and the caliper. Once caliper is installed and all you need it to put the wheel on, before you release the temporary lug nut holding the rotor, hit the brake pedal once or twice to slug the caliper piston onto the pads. This way the rotor will remain straight and nothing will move when you release the temporary lug nuts. Install wheel and be confident the pads didn't shift.

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Thread starter #8
Another tip for lining up the brake pads... Take a couple of the wheel lug nuts and 2 much larger nuts (to use as a washer/spacer between the lug nut and rotor) and secure the rotor on the hub so it's 100% flat. Install the brake pads and the caliper. Once caliper is installed and all you need it to put the wheel on, before you release the temporary lug nut holding the rotor, hit the brake pedal once or twice to slug the caliper piston onto the pads. This way the rotor will remain straight and nothing will move when you release the temporary lug nuts. Install wheel and be confident the pads didn't shift.
Thanks! Will do!

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Thread starter #9
can you support the front lower control arms on jacks and start the car to determine the source of the noise.
Interestingly, (on jackstands) when in drive both axles turn now. Before only the driver's side tire spun before replacing both axles.

There is a definite rasping sound on the driver's side loudest at the caliper location that must be from the brake pad not clearing the rotor, else rotor wobble. So remounting the caliper following Zeroboostbuick's worthy instructions.

GunnyP

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Thread starter #10
Oi! All my fault, of course...

In extracting the stuck driver's CV axle, banging away for 8 days with sledge and slide hammer, I've bent the dustshield? that's attached to the steering knuckle on the inboard side of the rotor so that it is rubbing against the rotor even after using Zeroboostbuick install method (which worked splendidly).

It has actually already worn a touch perceptible groove into the rotor on the inboard side. Tried to get it machined smooth at Monroe Brake, but they allowed as the rotor has those cooling holes it can't be resurfaced.

In any event, I'm going to try using a pry bar to re-establish some distance between the dustshield and the rotor. I'll measure the gap on the passenger side and try to duplicate that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.