• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Clicking/Engaging sound between 2nd and 3rd gear - ABS or Transmission? 2017 Enclave

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
My Buick has been to the dealership 3 times and to no avail of identifying what a clicking sound or sound that seems like something is engaging just after shifting into second gear and before 3rd. It only happens the first time in which the car passes second gear. Afterwards the transmission shifts and sounds fine. The sound isn't always consistent which is additional reason for my concern. I have given the dealership audio recordings of the sound and they can't replicate it. After the car is warm it doesn't do it but if it sits for over an hour or so, it will repeat after starting it again. The dealer said the computer shows everything is fine and they can't find anything wrong.

After picking it up from the dealership for the second inspection, on the way home I heard a beep and the traction control switched off without touching the switch. Then the display read, "Stabilitrak needs service". When I tried to accelerate, the power and brakes acted like I was on a sheet of ice but I was on dry pavement. The abs engaged and power was cut off as I stepped on the pedal. I limped home, luckily only a few minutes from my house. The next morning I drove it back to the dealership and it didn't replicate the same error message. They hooked it up to the code reader and nothing popped up.

Any help would be appreciated, Buick customer care said since the dealer can't replicate the problem they can't help me. Within 18 months of owning the new car it has been in for service 4 times. 3 for this sound and traction control issue and once for replacement of a power steering issue since it was groaning. Buick recommended I take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I asked about how to handle a potential Lemon law claim and they suggested that if I would like to pursue it, to file a claim on the Better Business Bureau website.

Thanks again for any help!!!!!!!!!!! Attached are other people that posted similar problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

G-526696

Did the dealer or Buick Customer Service check for a TSB, technical service bulletin
It doesn’t sound like this is very common, I had to search and search for posts that were similar but will call customer device tomorrow to ask about the car that had the similar problem in Wisconsin.

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
I plan to call and ask on Monday. Per the one example, Buick was involved. I also plan to call the dealership in WI that he references. Hopefully they can give me some insight.

Thanks

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Besides Hearing a clicking noise,.. do you feel anything out of the ordinary ???
( if you were deaf, would you know anything was wrong ? )

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
I can feel the clicks in the gas pedal when it happens. I first thought it was a transmission issue but now I am leaning to ABS since I received the error message and the traction control acting weird. After the first abnormality with the noise, the transmission shifts fine and we love the ride.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I can feel the clicks in the gas pedal when it happens. I first thought it was a transmission issue but now I am leaning to ABS since I received the error message and the traction control acting weird. After the first abnormality with the noise, the transmission shifts fine and we love the ride.
There is a bulletin concerning the wheel reluctor ring getting dirty and causing this kind of problems, and setting off the ABS and Stabilitrak and Traction control...

Your car is one of the one's in the bulletin.

Bulletin PIC5428G

Attachments

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
That sounds like what is happening!!!!!! I felt the sluggish steering as well. It has been occurring for the last 15000 miles, I wonder if it can cause any long term problems. I didn't see a date on the bulletin, do you happen to know when this was published? Thanks!!!!!!!

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I know the first rendition of it was published in 2016. But they obviously added 2017 models on.

You're welcome and I hope you can get it to malfunction again so the dealer will have no choice but to address it.
They can be assholes and not care unless you have malfunction lamps lit up on the dash.

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
Thank you!!!!! It has been so frustrating. Them telling me they can't find anything and I know something is wrong. Luckily the service department has been really good, had a Cadillac loner for a couple weeks. The Sales department at this dealership were the assholes. I asked if I could trade it in on a 2019 and they didn't want to give me anything for it since the car has issues, LOL. I filed a formal complaint with Buick. They are complete dicks! Thanks again and I hope you had a great 4th. Going to test drive a 2019 just in case tomorrow to see if I like the newer ones. I am not sold yet on the 9 speed transmission. I drove a Traverse and the tranny was all over the place and seems like the engineers needed to do a little more work with it. The Caddy 8 speed was pretty nice!

Black5iamond

Buick Ownership
Buick encore
My Buick has been to the dealership 3 times and to no avail of identifying what a clicking sound or sound that seems like something is engaging just after shifting into second gear and before 3rd. It only happens the first time in which the car passes second gear. Afterwards the transmission shifts and sounds fine. The sound isn't always consistent which is additional reason for my concern. I have given the dealership audio recordings of the sound and they can't replicate it. After the car is warm it doesn't do it but if it sits for over an hour or so, it will repeat after starting it again. The dealer said the computer shows everything is fine and they can't find anything wrong.

After picking it up from the dealership for the second inspection, on the way home I heard a beep and the traction control switched off without touching the switch. Then the display read, "Stabilitrak needs service". When I tried to accelerate, the power and brakes acted like I was on a sheet of ice but I was on dry pavement. The abs engaged and power was cut off as I stepped on the pedal. I limped home, luckily only a few minutes from my house. The next morning I drove it back to the dealership and it didn't replicate the same error message. They hooked it up to the code reader and nothing popped up.

Any help would be appreciated, Buick customer care said since the dealer can't replicate the problem they can't help me. Within 18 months of owning the new car it has been in for service 4 times. 3 for this sound and traction control issue and once for replacement of a power steering issue since it was groaning. Buick recommended I take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I asked about how to handle a potential Lemon law claim and they suggested that if I would like to pursue it, to file a claim on the Better Business Bureau website.

Thanks again for any help!!!!!!!!!!! Attached are other people that posted similar problems.
This is insane because I'm having similar issues with 2028 Buick! Trying contact an attorney!

dino-mite

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX, Enclave, Verano
I also have a 2017 and I feel the click in the gas pedal but have thought nothing of it to this point. I’m glad I stumbled across your posts, might go have it checked out. I have not had any warnings or anything as of yet.

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
Dino-mite, go have it checked out. My traction control engaged at 55 mph on dry pavement. Not a good feeling when you are in traffic!!!!!!!!! Bring the bulletin and my dealer didn't know anything about it!!!!

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
I took the Enclave to the other dealer. The person didn't take very good notes and the tech drove it and didn't notices anything out of the ordinary. No codes were seen when they scanned it. I was pretty frustrated as I gave them a print out of the bulletin but since they didn't get any codes, they dismissed the bulletin.

When I went in to pick it up, I saw the service manager and politely asked what could cause the traction control to engage on drive pavement. He started telling me that the sensors could be malfunctioning or dirty etc... I told him why my Enclave was at their dealership and that they couldn't find anything wrong with it even though I received the message to service it. He thought I might have two issues since there is the noise and the traction control engaged. He said the sound I am hearing was normal at startup but I have never heard ABS engaging so loudly but the tech and service manager said the sound was typical. I told how the ratcheting sound/engagement sound wasn't consistent and it sometimes was short and sometimes it was longer with multiple clicks. He didn't know the answer. I asked him to read the bulletin and after he read it he seamed to be more accepting of my dilemma. He said unfortunately it is Friday late afternoon and they would need to keep the car and do quite a bit of work to check it out and it would need to wait until next week.

I told him I received the bulletin from a Buick Forum and he grew more confident that there was something wrong with my car as he said there were quick a few GM employee's that spend their time or their job is to troll these random issues to try and to help customers resolve their issues. Since he offered to perform the service, I told him that I planned to call the original dealership and see when they say. I did call the service rep prior to today but he didn't know if the tech checked the cleanliness of the wheel bearings, he just said that they tested the sensors.

Ugh, sounds like I have more phone calls to make. I drove the car home and didn't have any problems except for that annoying noise after second gear!!!!!!! Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I took the Enclave to the other dealer. The person didn't take very good notes and the tech drove it and didn't notices anything out of the ordinary. No codes were seen when they scanned it. I was pretty frustrated as I gave them a print out of the bulletin but since they didn't get any codes, they dismissed the bulletin.

When I went in to pick it up, I saw the service manager and politely asked what could cause the traction control to engage on drive pavement. He started telling me that the sensors could be malfunctioning or dirty etc... I told him why my Enclave was at their dealership and that they couldn't find anything wrong with it even though I received the message to service it. He thought I might have two issues since there is the noise and the traction control engaged. He said the sound I am hearing was normal at startup but I have never heard ABS engaging so loudly but the tech and service manager said the sound was typical. I told how the ratcheting sound/engagement sound wasn't consistent and it sometimes was short and sometimes it was longer with multiple clicks. He didn't know the answer. I asked him to read the bulletin and after he read it he seamed to be more accepting of my dilemma. He said unfortunately it is Friday late afternoon and they would need to keep the car and do quite a bit of work to check it out and it would need to wait until next week.

I told him I received the bulletin from a Buick Forum and he grew more confident that there was something wrong with my car as he said there were quick a few GM employee's that spend their time or their job is to troll these random issues to try and to help customers resolve their issues. Since he offered to perform the service, I told him that I planned to call the original dealership and see when they say. I did call the service rep prior to today but he didn't know if the tech checked the cleanliness of the wheel bearings, he just said that they tested the sensors.

Ugh, sounds like I have more phone calls to make. I drove the car home and didn't have any problems except for that annoying noise after second gear!!!!!!! Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
That noise and feel at the throttle pedal could indeed be just ABS check. I had 2 GM car that did that. But anything beyond the he ABS self test needs attention.

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
That noise and feel at the throttle pedal could indeed be just ABS check. I had 2 GM car that did that. But anything beyond the he ABS self test needs attention.
Thanks, I am going to do some research on the sound. The other dealership said that they couldn't recreate the sound and they never mentioned the ABS as being a possibility of what I am hearing.

markmoose1

Buick Ownership
Enclave
Update - I took the Enclave back to the original dealer. They reviewed the wheel speed sensor bulletin and reluctantly performed the service. They still could not hear the sound that I am hearing. They had the vehicle another 6 days and said they found an oily substance on the wheel sensor. They said they were unsure if that was the problem.

I drove the Enclave throughout the weekend and continue to hear the abnormal clicking/clunk noise and am trying to get a good recording to send to the dealer. I would accept that the sound is normal but the sound is so irregular, it seems as if something is sticking. There are times in which it is once click, others that are a click then clunk, and more annoying is when it sounds like click, click, click, click, clunk. Very strange, any additional help would be appreciated as I can't seem to find anything on what the ABS self-check should sound like.

Pedal Commander