• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Code 18.. crank/cam sensors

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
I've been reading on other forums about using factory parts instead of the stuff from parts stores. Some results from the parts store components were quite bad ! I may try an OEM crank position sensor before getting into the wiring etc. The service manual says that the wiring etc from the CPS to the IGN module is suspect if it wont run !

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
I've been reading on other forums about using factory parts instead of the stuff from parts stores. Some results from the parts store components were quite bad ! I may try an OEM crank position sensor before getting into the wiring etc. The service manual says that the wiring etc from the CPS to the IGN module is suspect if it wont run !

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
After reading about after-market parts failing fairly soon after using them, I'm wondering if I should try an OEM crank sensor. It's easy enough to change. I haven't checked the FSM about the clearance HotZ28 mentioned. Wasn't aware that it is/was adjustable (??)

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
IIRC correctly, (been a long time since "93) but I think the CKS on that year was the non adjustable type, plug & play type! There could still be a malfunction in that wiring circuit.

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
That's what I'm thinking too. Hot Z ! That harness is like a snake !! May have to pull the alternator etc to get at access to the harness, for an inspection. I suppose the loom would have to be opened to get a look for wire damage etc.....And of course you are right..it's been a LONG time since "93 !!

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
I ordered a factory GM crankshaft sensor. I see on some forums that some aftermarket parts have a failure rate more that OEM stuff Since the crank sensor is easy to change, I'm gonna change it & go from there. I'm going to wring out the harness from the sensor to the IGN module also...

pila80

Sustaining Member
mid michigan
Buick Ownership
Buick park avenue ultra
I just bought a factory crank sensor, after reading about aftermarket parts failures. Luckily that part is fairly easy to replace. Buick doesn't run, it's outside, so I'm waiting for the temp to get above 20, to work on it !!:giggle: