Code P0716 P07BF Input speed sensor

tjharper

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
I have a 2012 Buick Verano 2.4l with sunroof. I was driving home from work a week ago and at a stop light the check engine light comes on. I tried to accelerate and felt the vehicle went to limp mode. The vehicle would barely move. The rpm`'s would go up to about 3000 rpm but no more even if I floored it. The car would get going but after a long slow hesitation. I noticed from complete stops the vehicle would barely move if I floored the accelerator. The rpm's would go up revving it like crazy and the car would go. Even worse on hills. Eventually I got the car home. The following morning I was going to have the car towed to a shop. I got In and started the vehicle after sitting all night and the check engine light was on but it ran and drove fine. No problems. Well at least until it got to operating temp around 185 degrees then I started having the same symptoms. It was 6 in the morning so reluctantly drove it to the shop 5 miles away. It sat for 5 hours before the mechanic looked at it. Again he started it. It drove fine for a few mins till it got to operating temperature and the limp mode symptoms happened again. Anyway he pulled the code it was P0716 Input speed sensorsensor low voltage. So he changed the input speed sensor located on the driver side of the trans behind the left front wheel which was a lengthy repair. The sensor sits on the outside of trans case but plugs to trans control module inside trans Involving moving battery , trans cooler lines and valve body cover . After that repair . He thought it was fixed but after driving it about a mile the same code re appeared. Another mechanic took over. He monitored the sensors and he said both the input and out put speed sensors were working fine . He said my problem was electrical , possibly the engine wiring harness or possible PCM needing to be reflashed or replaced and to take the vehicle to another shop that works on GM vehicles because they only specialize on Asian vehicles. They also said that I have a sunroof and with all the rain we have been getting in Los Angeles that water could have gotten in one of the front sunroof drain ports and shorted something out. It's weird that when the vehicle only gets to operating temp that this happens but ok after sitting for hours. Any one ever have this issue ? I purchased this vehicle new 7 years ago and only have 66,000 miles on it. I keep it very well maintained and serviced. No warranty left.

Last edited:

tjharper

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
I have a 2012 Buick Verano 2.4l with sunroof. I was driving home from work a week ago and at a stop light the check engine light comes on. I tried to accelerate and felt the vehicle went to limp mode. The vehicle would barely move. The rpm`'s would go up to about 3000 rpm but no more even if I floored it. The car would get going but after a long slow hesitation. I noticed from complete stops the vehicle would barely move if I floored the accelerator. The rpm's would go up revving it like crazy and the car would go. Even worse on hills. Eventually I got the car home. The following morning I was going to have the car towed to a shop. I got In and started the vehicle after sitting all night and the check engine light was on but it ran and drove fine. No problems. Well at least until it got to operating temp around 185 degrees then I started having the same symptoms. It was 6 in the morning so reluctantly drove it to the shop 5 miles away. It sat for 5 hours before the mechanic looked at it. Again he started it. It drove fine for a few mins till it got to operating temperature and the limp mode symptoms happened again. Anyway he pulled the code it was P0716 Input speed sensorsensor low voltage. So he changed the input speed sensor located on the driver side of the trans behind the left front wheel which was a lengthy repair. The sensor sits on the outside of trans case but plugs to trans control module inside trans Involving moving battery , trans cooler lines and valve body cover . After that repair . He thought it was fixed but after driving it about a mile the same code re appeared. Another mechanic took over. He monitored the sensors and he said both the input and out put speed sensors were working fine . He said my problem was electrical , possibly the engine wiring harness or possible PCM needing to be reflashed or replaced and to take the vehicle to another shop that works on GM vehicles because they only specialize on Asian vehicles. They also said that I have a sunroof and with all the rain we have been getting in Los Angeles that water could have gotten in one of the front sunroof drain ports and shorted something out. It's weird that when the vehicle only gets to operating temp that this happens but ok after sitting for hours. Any one ever have this issue ? I purchased this vehicle new 7 years ago and only have 66,000 miles on it. I keep it very well maintained and serviced. No warranty left.
Ok . Turns out it was the TCM / Transmission Control module. The tcm was lowering the voltage to the In put speed sensorsensor when the vehicle reached around 185 degrees putting it into limp mode. This is not a repair for a do it your selfer and it wasnt cheap to fix. I have and automotive background so I did it my self. The part sits inside the trans piggybacking the valve body. The part was $560.00 with $100.00 core you get back when returned plus the 4 qts. Of Dexron VI . You have to program the part to the car as well and using GM software is highly recommended. I paid $43.00 for the software access from the GM website and I had to re program the ECM as well as the program TCM. It also updated other modules that had updates available. Again I did this in my friends shop . He has all the tools and diagnostic equipment stuff. My total was about $645.00 but other shops wanted to charge me between $1200.00 and $1400.00 . The dealer wanted $2100.00. Note Dorman makes a cheaper TCM for around $265.00 with a $300.00 core but I hear those suck and last on average a year or two if that. Anyway hope this helps anyone out there with a similar issue.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Thank You tjharper for doing the follow up post on your problem. It's nice to know what the resolution finally is for a specific problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.