• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coil pack...

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
OK, our Encore just spent a few more days in the shop...
The Onstar module was bad when we picked up our "GM Certified" vehicle. 3000 mile later Coils 2 and 4 crapped out and the car went into limp mode. Drove it the 3ish miles to the dealer.
This thing has just 10K on the odometer. Has anyone else experienced a coil failure on their Encore? According to the service manager, this is the first coil they've had to replace (but they happened to have one on hand.....)

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Those coils are used on a number of GM vehicles with the same engine. So it's no surprise they had the part. It does seem odd that a coil would go bad at that mileage, but there is no way any inspection, or any mechanic, can tell if a coil is going to go bad.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Odd that 2 would go bad at the same time with the low mileage.
I don't know if there is anything within the vehicles operation that can make a coil pack fail prematurely.
That would be a good question for an actual mechanic.

Other than that, about the the only other thing it can be are bad materials/components used during the packs construction and/or poor quality control. With both of the bad coil packs probably coming out of the same production lot.

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
There is an upside to this...
Part of the replacement appears to have been a CPU reset including transmission shift points and patterns. It seems relearning has produced a less noticeable transition between gears as it learned my wifes' driving habits.
It drove kinda sluggish for a day or two as things sorted themselves out but now its good.

Pedal Commander