Cold air intake for Regal 2015

xerokillz

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2015 Buick Regal that has the factory cold air intake. I am looking to replace it with something with a little more performance. I can't find much on the web. It seems like most products are for 2013 and below. And does anyone know if this will void the factory warranty?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Intakes could be the source of a warranty denial, but they need to demonstrate why the add-on caused the problem they won't cover. In the case of an intake, only the MAF (air sensor) comes up as a commonly disputed part. It's cheap and can be replaced yourself if needed. As long as you maintain the intake (cleaning or replacing the filter as needed) the risk to using one is relatively low. Keep in mind, intakes with higher flow do let in more fine particles. There doesn't seem to be a widespread issue of crap getting into engines because of high flow intakes, but it's worth noting. This would also be a source of warranty denial although I've never heard of it.

Fwiw, the stock box allows a decent flow of air. I'm not convinced using a CAI would be of much help. I dropped in a K&N (I'm not a fan anymore of oiled filters, but the increased flow with the drop-in is supposed to be decent with the 2.0T). The drop-in filter is a lot cheaper, easier to install, and is more common so dealers are less likely to make a fuss.

Aussie

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
With factory setup Cai will add no extra hp, bigger intakes only add hp with bigger turbo, I found this with my speed and wrx

- - - Updated

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
If you have the 2.0 turbo LTG motor,,,, Injen makes a CAI for the 2013 Chevy Malibu that looks like it would fit.

(stuff to Google)
Part # SP7033P
Part # SP7033BLK

trustinger

Buick Ownership
Buick
Would be great if it works. Been waiting for a year for an intake. I realize it doesn't add any HP but I want the WOOOOOOOSH!!!! noise. First world problems are the worst.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
I'll have it in (with pics) by the end of the week (probably before). Pinkie swear.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
IT FITS.

The stuff inside the box...

Install help pictures.

This much dirt fell into the turbo by just removing the factory air box.

put some tape over your hole to keep dirt out.

This is the passenger side strut tower. The Malibu doesn't have the GS's HiPer struts so there is no little box mounted there. (see FIGURE 11)

I was worried that the heat shield was going to rub on that little box, but after everything was installed and tightened down they didn't even touch.

The new silicone coupler between the turbo and intake goes from 2.5" to 3" and definitely rubs on this solenoid mounted to the turbo........

....Until you clamp it down. Then there is a tiny gap between them.

This is the new intake tube. Just under the MAF sensor there is a small 4" long tube that is open on both ends.. It just sits there...

Spiders!

Filtered view of the SUN.

This is cool... 2 of the 3 PCV valves (in the LTG) dump back into the intake through this inlet in the stock intake tube. The crankcase vapors then travel through those 3 camel humps before being reintroduced into the intake.....

When I removed the factory intake tube I set it on the floor and it rolled over on it's side. It sat there for about an hour before I picked it up to look at it..... oil started to drip out of all of those little holes in the ceiling of the intake tube.... So those 3 humps are like a catch can that you can never empty. I'm tempted to cut it open to see what's doin' in there.

Ok, so the INJEN intake for a 2013 Malibu 2.0 Turbo DEFINITELY fits a 2014 Regal GS.... I only drove it up and down the road a couple of times (about 5 miles), so my review (at this time) is going to be limited.

Pros

-Just after the engine starts during the cat warm-up is aggressive as hell. Lots of suck going on there and you can hear it.

-The PSSTT and BPV flutter (after lifting or between shifts) is more pronounced.

-With the windows down you can hear a little more turbo spool while accelerating.

-Free'd up some space under the hood.

-The gasket/weatherstrip on the heat shield does lightly touch the hoodliner (when the hood is closed).

Cons

-Loss of power in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.

-Over time the heat shield is going to wear permanent marks into the hoodliner.

-It could use a larger cone filter.

-The washers and bolts need to be painted black.

It fits, It looks pretty good, It makes cool noises. The loss of power SUCKS, but I was expecting it and that's why I went with the ELITE Trifecta tune..... To be fair, someone with a stock tuned LTG Regal should try this intake and report back. All the paperwork that came with this intake claimed the Malibu gained performance after the install.

I have been watching intake temps, but haven't driven enough after the install to have any real data.. *bonus* The P3 gauge gets it's temp reading from the MAF sensor.

I pinkie swore by the end of the week!

Last edited:

S.O.G

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Premium 1
Thanks for keeping your promise! Lol that looks very nice but idk about spending that much on something that'll make me LOSE power :/ the whole purpose in getting aftermarket parts is for gains! I wonder if the gains listed for the Malibu are incorrect? Regardless, I don't think I'd buy if there are no gains :( would you recommend overall??

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I think he meant that his setup loses power because he needs a new tune to take into account the intake... but a stock engine or basic tune that allow for real time adapting based on readings from the MAF would *hopefully* realize a (very) small gain. I personally hate the sound of intakes, especially on smaller engines, so I have no horse in this race. Was just curious if it would actually fit.