• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Cold air intake for Regal 2015

coledriftking07

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes, this does work, it fits exactly like it does on the Malibu. I recently did this. The only downside is that it is loud, and makes a big purge sound on the stock blow off valve. Pretty exotic for every day driving, but it did add hp. I have the advantage tune from trifecta, so it is probably letting in a little more air than stock, but I just ordered the Elite and am having this tuned. I don't have any check engine lights though. I'm probably going to get a blowoff valve next, that recirculates and goes to atmosphere, but is still adjustable so I can tune in the kinda sound and efficiency I want. Hope this sheds some light

S.O.G

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Premium 1
Yes, this does work, it fits exactly like it does on the Malibu. I recently did this. The only downside is that it is loud, and makes a big purge sound on the stock blow off valve. Pretty exotic for every day driving, but it did add hp. I have the advantage tune from trifecta, so it is probably letting in a little more air than stock, but I just ordered the Elite and am having this tuned. I don't have any check engine lights though. I'm probably going to get a blowoff valve next, that recirculates and goes to atmosphere, but is still adjustable so I can tune in the kinda sound and efficiency I want. Hope this sheds some light
Where did you find a bpv to fit the LTG??

RegalGS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS 6spd
Drove it 50 miles today, really got on it. Im happy , the car seems to be adjusting to it. does anyone suggest a K&N or the stock blue Injen filter? Happy and Safe 4th to all.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
How's that? It's the same engine. I'm sure the ATS owners think the same of our lowly "Buicks". :rolleyes:
They should never have offered this engine in the Malibu, or it should have been seriously detuned. It's allowing the model to get too big for its britches. I think the ATS and CTS use of this engine is the REAL reason we got detuned for 2014, not because they couldn't make the exhaust fit around the AWD otherwise.

Esasky's15RegalGS

Jeannette, PA
Buick Ownership
Buick
They should never have offered this engine in the Malibu, or it should have been seriously detuned. It's allowing the model to get too big for its britches. I think the ATS and CTS use of this engine is the REAL reason we got detuned for 2014, not because they couldn't make the exhaust fit around the AWD otherwise.
Couldnt agree with you more on the excuse of not making the exhaust fit. I had my car on the lift doing tires and the intermediate pipe runs parallel with the rear drive shaft. There is plenty of room to run better exhaust on these cars. I havent compared the FWD with the AWD exhaust in terms of routing but I am telling you this, there is a shit load of room under that car to run nice flowing exhaust.

Has any one tried to see if Borla's FWD exhaust would work with minor tweaks?

sprink268

Southeast Louisiana
Buick Ownership
'14 GS AWD
I thought the exact same thing about that intermediate pipe but I'm not convinced that's the problem. Did you happen to take a look at the bottom of the downpipe and how it is flattened out as it makes the turn to meet up with the rest of the exhaust? That's where the real problem lies...

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
Nizerims, in the one pic it looks like you used a k&n filter, if you did can you let me know what Part #s you used for the filter and cover :D

PaddyG

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have my CAI on order. Looking forward to installing it. I've never disconnected an MAF. Any advice? Looks like I need to depress the thin green plastic strip and pull back on the bigger piece, which should uncouple the sensor from the stock intake.
Thanks

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
nizerims, in the one pic it looks like you used a k&n filter, if you did can you let me know what Part #s you used for the filter and cover :D
(over a month later)
Sorry Fam, I didn't see that post..... What you saw in that pic was the blue Injen filter with a K&N DryCharger® pre-filter over it. I'm not sure about the exact part # because I had it laying around and I tend to peel stickers or cut tags off of EVERTHING.

If you've ever recharged a K&N cone filter that has been on your vehicle for a while (off road of course). You were probably shocked with what comes out of the deep grooves during the rinse out process.

I'm talking stuff you didn't even see at all when you removed the filter prior to cleaning. I closed the drain on the sink one time and used HOT water to rinse out the filter (for science reasons) and it was a memorable experiment. I found; some ladybugs, a spider, a clump of deer fur, maple tree helicopter seeds, a "metric shit ton" of sand and a bunch of tiny stones.

Since that day I've been using pre-filters...... DryCharger because it has hydrophobic properties and I go cray with high pressure water and soap before a wash mitt ever touches my paint.

I did look into a universal K&N cone filter . I went to a few part stores with a list so I could get hands on and guestimate if one would fit.

RX-3900-1
RX-3990-1
RX-4990
RX-4730
Rx-4730XD

But nobody had any of those in stock.

The only potential problem I see with the Malibu CAI is the shield being too tall for the Regal's hood. Might need to be reshaped.
Might need to be installed without the seal/weatherstrip..... You were absolutely right with your forshadowing.

I'm NOT completly saying the shield is too tall because the hood opens and closes easily and there are no noticeable gap differences between the fenders or front fascia after installation, BUT the weatherstrip on the top of the heat shield has left a serious permanent scar in my hoodliner....... I'm going to go ahead and say my hoodliner is ruined. Not to the point that there is fabric flapping in the wind or little particles of insulation all over the engine compartment, but if I was in a tight spot and needed some quick cash for Krokodil I could never sell this hoodliner as NEW or LIGHTLY USED.

It's too late for me and I'm going to ride this out to see how bad it gets, but I double dog DARE someone in the future to install your heat shield WITHOUT the weatherstrip.... We can compare pictures (over time) and converse about how much better your hoodliner looks than mine!

If installing the heat shield without the weatherstrip still causes permanent hoodliner scars,,,, then maybe it does need to be shaved down a ¼" or ½".

(I will post a picture of my hoodliner next time my hood is open and I have my computer phone on hand)

Last edited:

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
Yeah, somebody should definitely install the heat shield WITHOUT the gasket/weatherstrip........

The damage.....

I think I'm going to smear a gob of NEOSPORIN on it. See if it helps it heal faster.

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
^^^^ :laugh::laugh:

Nizerims thanks for the part #s gives me somewhere to start, I put mine away this winter but come spring I'm putting the intake on and want to do the k&n filter with it as well as the DryCharger, I've used them before and would never go without it

Carsomyr

Buick Newbie
Pingree Grove IL
Buick Ownership
2014 GS
Hey guys, my 2 cents worth, if it's even worth that!:p I just installed mine, very easy. It is of course touching the liner but kept the seal on because I think the heat shield alone would cut a sharper line in the liner. The car is definitely faster! I was surprised that it was such a notable increase! I'm also surprised at how loud it is, not a big fan. I might try a heat wrap to see if that helps. Nizerims thanks for being the guinea pig and all the info and pictures! Trifecta tune coming in the next couple weeks!:headbang:

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Hey guys, my 2 cents worth, if it's even worth that!:p I just installed mine, very easy. It is of course touching the liner but kept the seal on because I think the heat shield alone would cut a sharper line in the liner. The car is definitely faster! I was surprised that it was such a notable increase! I'm also surprised at how loud it is, not a big fan. I might try a heat wrap to see if that helps. Nizerims thanks for being the guinea pig and all the info and pictures! Trifecta tune coming in the next couple weeks!:headbang:
Once tuned you will see a 3-5% increase over the usual tune gains with the CAI. You are not actually getting any performance increase right now (placebo) without a tune. That's just a function of the mechanics of how the engine works. Hold your enthusiasm until the tune is applied, then enjoy. :)

You could trim the top of the heat shield then use some weather stripping to replace what you trim. They sell dark colored weather stripping in various widths, but a black magic marker might work too. Use the extra stripping around the house (it's cheap anyway). If you're particular clever at DYI, eletrical tape might work too but I'd be worried about the heat of the engine compromising the adhesive. I know from personal experience weather stripping adhesive works at a wide range of temps.

gweets

Buick Ownership
Buick 2015 Regal T
I'm a little late to the party, but did it fit and did you notice any performance benefits?

saleen90181

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Buick - 2016 AWD Turbo
Once tuned you will see a 3-5% increase over the usual tune gains with the CAI. You are not actually getting any performance increase right now (placebo) without a tune. That's just a function of the mechanics of how the engine works. Hold your enthusiasm until the tune is applied, then enjoy. :)

You could trim the top of the heat shield then use some weather stripping to replace what you trim. They sell dark colored weather stripping in various widths, but a black magic marker might work too. Use the extra stripping around the house (it's cheap anyway). If you're particular clever at DYI, eletrical tape might work too but I'd be worried about the heat of the engine compromising the adhesive. I know from personal experience weather stripping adhesive works at a wide range of temps.

Now I think nay Sayers that CIA doesn't add HP are full of poop

"the computer will compensate" - yes it will - and more air = more fuel = more power - its not a placebo

That's the way it works - always - from my 86 Grand National to my Saleen mustang - to my Ford ST

The computers don't dial back power - just adjust to the new input - and the new input equals more flow to the vacuum cleaner that motors are - yes I am also a Computer Geek - we tuned the 87-2014 mustangs with a laptop

If they didn't add power - then all the dyno's and information is incorrect from these huge suppliers - you think they would get sued to take that information down

I know from my past - at least on the 5.0/4.6/2.0 - and turbo motors - they respond nice to an intake - and will gain HP - shown on the dyno runs I made and - for a reference - the CAI we are taking about - http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/7320131336SP7033_dyno.pdf

Now - don't EXPECT 20 HP or you will be very disappointed - but don't also ASSUME - that it will not add HP - plus add a nice sound and feel good about the purchase

Pedal Commander