Condensation in Headlight

Thread starter #1

zanethan

Charlotte
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS and 1992 Roadmaster Estate (Panthermobile)
Hello all, I recently picked up a 2012 regal gs 6spd CPO about a week ago and am loving it. However; it has recently been raining and my drivers side headlight has started gathering a considerable amount of condensation. I took it to the dealership today to fix the issue and they were adamant that "condensation and fogging is normal due to venting". I know this is false. The service guy told me to try and get up with the service manager but he's only available between 7:00 am -3:30 pm ...convenient since most people you know, work during those hours. My question is what should my next course of action be to get this corrected or does anyone know of a good dealership that wont pull this BS near Charlotte NC?

Bloodylipp

Buick Ownership
Buick
it is not normal. it is if there is a hole or crack somewhere that air can get in. they have to be sealed. to get rid of it you hair dryer it, then put the cap back on.

Thread starter #4

zanethan

Charlotte
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS and 1992 Roadmaster Estate (Panthermobile)
I know that I could fix it but I'm very annoyed that the dealer is avoiding paying to fix the issue and it was a certified preowned car and has a 12 month or 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Any ideas on how to get them to replace it as it's a $500+ assembly from what I gather.

Limited360

Milford, MI
Buick Ownership
Buick
I know that I could fix it but I'm very annoyed that the dealer is avoiding paying to fix the issue and it was a certified preowned car and has a 12 month or 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Any ideas on how to get them to replace it as it's a $500+ assembly from what I gather.
Keep taking it in and start a claim with Buick Customer service....

matt777lr

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Unfortunately on these cars it's pretty normal. My car is less than a year old and the headlight gets condensation. It's only when the seasons change and it goes away after 1 day or so. It's not a big deal. Run with your lights on for a bit. If there is a pool of water in your headlight assembly, then that's cause for concern. Btw, it's almost a 1000$ headlight assembly

mdb007

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal
I know this is an old thread but my wifes 11 just experienced the condensation in the lens. I was not happy to learn i have to remove bumper or the cover to get assembly out. Of course it's right before winter, it couldnt have done in the summer!

I have cursed the stupid german engineers about this car for other things. The right headlight plug got so hot it became brittle and broke over time which i replace in 17 with a better part from rock auto, and now the left one has done the same as I was checking out moisture issue as her headlight was out. Have never had that happen in any car in the past or the 3 other cars we have.

jagnweiner

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
The right headlight plug got so hot it became brittle and broke over time which i replace in 17 with a better part from rock auto, and now the left one has done the same as I was checking out moisture issue as her headlight was out.
Do you have a link to the part for just the plug? When I looked on rockauto, all I could find was the entire harness, which was over $200.

mdb007

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal
Do you have a link to the part for just the plug? When I looked on rockauto, all I could find was the entire harness, which was over $200.
Here you go, when you look at picture 2 on the top you will need to take a utility knife and cut some of that away toward the socket end at a 35-45˚ angle, it seems that there was a slight obstruction and that took care of it. The original socket is half the size of the replacement which might explain why it failed..
Just get a couple of the smaller red butt splices and crimp and wrap with electrical tape.
Or you could put a piece of shrink wrap around and solder them together. But the butt splice has worked well on the right one for 2 years and the left one i just did has been fine as well. good luck!
Also attached pic of the old one, is this how yours looks?

More Information for WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 1P2076 IMG_5736.JPG

mdb007

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal
Oh and while cleaning pics out I found this from the right side 2 years ago. This was the first connector I bought as you can see it is huge compared to original do not buy this one. You can't screw the back cover on the headlight with this. also take the air cleaner box out, i think it is 4-5 screws. took me an hour of frustration trying to screw cover back on.

Attachments

jagnweiner

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Mdb-

Many thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The issue is moot because I found out, embarrassingly, that I had missed a blown fuse. That corrected the problem. The only reason I came to the conclusion that the plug might be bad was because I thought I had eliminated everything else.

BTW, I think you have the halogen version. I have the Xenon HID version which looks quite a bit different.

-Scott

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
The HID Headlights develop a leak around the Ballast (Under the assembly), just put a good amount of Marine Quality Sealant around it and let it dry, you should be fine. Of course you will need to drop the front bumper skin to get to the bottom bolt holding on the headlight. These are $1,300.00 EACH!! and are hard to find

g_861998

The HID Headlights develop a leak around the Ballast (Under the assembly), just put a good amount of Marine Quality Sealant around it and let it dry, you should be fine. Of course you will need to drop the front bumper skin to get to the bottom bolt holding on the headlight. These are $1,300.00 EACH!! and are hard to find
I have a 2016 Buick enclave cpo that has just been purchased yesterday I drove home in the rain in the headlights were full of condensation/water. I am mediately called the salesman service department and they were adamant it was normal. Could you tell me where the ballast is located? Maybe I can seal it up there

g_93493

Absolute BS that this is normal. I just went thru this with my wife's '13 GS. I ended up pulling the assemblies and using a blow dryer on low heat to evaporate any moisture inside the housing. It took two attempts but I got the leaks fixed by using clear silicone sealant around the edges where the lens and rear assembly are joined. After a month of driving in almost daily rain, I have no leaks or moisture present. And by the way, you don't have to completely remove the front bumper facia. You need to remove the fasteners along the top (exposed when the hood is open) and the small screws in each front wheel well. You can then pop the facia free and let it droop down. You now have access to all the fasteners for the headlights.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.