• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Control Arm Bushings

northernplains

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2005 Lacrosse CXL
Hey fellas and ladies....I have a 2005 Lacrosse w/125K and getting a clunk when reversing outta a parking spot. Pretty sure I narrowed it down to my control arms. I took photos of both bushings - which side is the culprit? I'm thinking both sides look bad. I'd like to hear your feedback. Thanks guys/gals.

Attachments

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Roger that on shiny spot, can’t tell from photo though. Has to be metal to metal for the clonk phenomenon. Have heard that too with auto trannys if rpm is too high when selecting gears...... or bad universals on drive shafts (Buick’s exempt?).

Those bushings may want to be changed either way, appear pretty shot. Like my Corvette, Buick’s aren’t magical and last forever either I guess.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
Judging from both photos, I'd replace them anyway if they're that worn and the car's 14 years old and has 125k on the clock! That should eliminate the clunking noise, BUT if it's still clunking afterwards as you reverse out of a parking space it could be engine mounts or transmission mounts. Just tossing that out there. Let us know how it is after the repairs!

northernplains

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2005 Lacrosse CXL
Just replaced the driver side control arm......holy smokes the ball joint was in rough shape! Explains the clunk. Burned alotta time separating the ball stud - thought I had the right tool. Its always something.

northernplains

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2005 Lacrosse CXL
Finished the passenger side control arm several days ago and it went very smooth after experiencing the driver side. The forward body bushing was pretty torn up but still getting a clunk! I think you're right Blu05, has to be a mount! Unbelievable.

After pulling off the front suspension parts I'm glad I replaced them. That curb I hit straight on quickly did great damage. I have to check out my mounts now.

Blu05

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lacrosse
northernplains, it may be unfortunate but if the forward body bushing is rotted, might as well consider replacing both of them and check the rear engine cradle bushings for wear as well! Now that you brought that up, i might inspect all of mine as well as my front suspension just to be on the safe side! I have a 2005 lacrosse CX model with 90k but needs the hood repainted due to an accident i was in a few months back LOL! Good luck man, let me know how it goes! Cheers from the mitten :cool:🤞

Pedal Commander