• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant boiling in reservoir

Dmh1980

Buick Ownership
2009 buick lucerne cxl
I have a 2009 lucerne cxl and while in traffic the other day i see smoke coming from under the hood. So when stopped the car and looked under the hood the coolant in the reservoir was boiling over. Besides the smoke there was no indication anything was wrong. Temperature guage wss normal what's causing this? Also im sure it may be related, but i got a message on the dash today saying that the engine was hot a/c off guage was on cold.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The temperature gauge sending unit may be bad or connections is the first guess. The overheating may be the radiator cap, thermostat, check for coolant around the water pump or some type of blockage in the coolant system. Check the oil and make sure that there is no coolant in it. Depending on age of the coolant it may be a option to replace at this time, this is at least items to start with.

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
As someone mentioned, check your oil to ensure no coolant is evident. Looks for white sludge inderneath the oil filler cap. A cracked head or head gasket will usually cause bubbles in the reservoir.