COOLANT EVREYWHERE!!!

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacross
Last summer I had to replace my Water pump. Since then EVERYTHING has gone out on my car. I have replaced on Cat, my coolant reservoir and most recently my reservoir is leaking AGAIN and my check engine light came on for a cat....

Is this all normal wear an tear? Should my cats be going out? Is this a running issue with this year model? I can not keep coolant in my car. I HAVE noticed the use of oil... when I changed it last time it had very little in it. (Yes - I watch it now).

I'm looking for advice on the reservoir at this point. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the leak? The one was just replaced in March and now I am leaking somewhere. BUT has to be slow... cause I can fill it up and idle - no visible leaks.

Lost in Texas

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
pressure and vacuum are the opposites. My first post had a misspelling, should have been tester not test.

Whipney

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
I had a coolant leak on my 07 Lacrosse. This was the part I needed. Screenshot_20180613-193538_Chrome.jpg
During the process, I learned that coolant is disastrous to engine components.
I think the total repair cost me in the neighborhood of $170
Edit
My mistakes I totally misread your question.

kevinande

Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree the system needs to be tested to get a proper diagnosis of the problem. You may want to just take it into a shop and pay for the diagnosis. As long as the car has never overheated, it should not be too bad. As far as the Catalytic converter, if you don't keep your plugs changed regularly (aka a tune up) it is known to destroy converters. I see it all the time. Manufacturers tell consumers to run 100,000 on a spark plug. It's fine if you don't mind buying coil packs and catalytic converters

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Several times with one car (not Buick) had head gaskets blow. One time could really smell coolant in the exhaust as it was leaking into one of the cylinders and radiator would pressurize with exhaust and coolant would be gone. Went to copper, metal head gaskets and torqued head bolts maybe another 20ftlb, problem solved. Hope your trouble is less work.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If it's the 3800 motor then what Whipney said; Coolant elbows.

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Last summer I had to replace my Water pump. Since then EVERYTHING has gone out on my car. I have replaced on Cat, my coolant reservoir and most recently my reservoir is leaking AGAIN and my check engine light came on for a cat....

Is this all normal wear an tear? Should my cats be going out? Is this a running issue with this year model? I can not keep coolant in my car. I HAVE noticed the use of oil... when I changed it last time it had very little in it. (Yes - I watch it now).

I'm looking for advice on the reservoir at this point. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the leak? The one was just replaced in March and now I am leaking somewhere. BUT has to be slow... cause I can fill it up and idle - no visible leaks.

Lost in Texas

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi Cardumbie,

Car background: V6, 3.0 L Engine, 2010 Buick Lacrosse (93,456 odometer)

My factory original water pump went out at around 72K miles. I noticed a small drop in my coolant started occurring about 6 months
before total failure. The engine lost all coolant while my wife was driving it. Engine overheated but lucky she was able to get off the road
and enter a nearby parking lot. Did not pressure test the system, but suspected bearing failure. The way this V6 engine is built, you cannot inspect the pump without removing the passenger side engine mount. I replaced the pump with an Autozone Duralast unit. This pump started to leak at around 92K miles (another slow leaker). I did pressure test pump #2. It was leaking from weep hole (Another bearing failure). I am
on pump #3 (Murray unit from O'Reily). I have never found coolant in my engine oil so I guess the head gaskets were not damaged
by pump #1 failure. Still experiencing small coolant losses. Engine does burn a little oil.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.