• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant Flush DIY?

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
My car has reached its five year mark a few months ago and I just realized that I need to do the coolant flush.

Has anybody done this at home on a 2010? I have done it on another car and it was fairly easy but for the Lacrosse I don't know where the petcock is located?

Any help will be appreciated:thumpsup:

wharriso

Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lacrosse
My car has reached its five year mark a few months ago and I just realized that I need to do the coolant flush.

Has anybody done this at home on a 2010? I have done it on another car and it was fairly easy but for the Lacrosse I don't know where the petcock is located?

Any help will be appreciated:thumpsup:
I never did it on a Lacrosse but the process should be the same no matter what car you're working on...

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2011_Buick_LaCrosse_CX_2.4L_4_Cyl./coolant_antifreeze/flush_coolant

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
I never did it on a Lacrosse but the process should be the same no matter what car you're working on...

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2011_Buick_LaCrosse_CX_2.4L_4_Cyl./coolant_antifreeze/flush_coolant
funny enough I saw this video, but if you watch through it they are working on a Japanese car!

I am also curious if anybody has done it so that I know how much coolant will come out because I know you will only get out about half of it but I want to know for sure...

wharriso

Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lacrosse
Okay. I just flushed a 2006 Ford Explorer. I drained it first and got out just under 8 quarts (capacity = 12 quarts). This car had a cracked thermostat housing and I didn't top it off correctly. When I filled it I got around 10 quarts in it so I guess 2 quarts were left in there. If you are just trying to figure out how much antifreeze to use, you car holds 12.7 quarts, so you will need 2 gallon bottles of antifreeze if you mix it yourself, or 3 gallons if you use the 50/50 mix.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Okay. I just flushed a 2006 Ford Explorer. I drained it first and got out just under 8 quarts (capacity = 12 quarts). This car had a cracked thermostat housing and I didn't top it off correctly. When I filled it I got around 10 quarts in it so I guess 2 quarts were left in there. If you are just trying to figure out how much antifreeze to use, you car holds 12.7 quarts, so you will need 2 gallon bottles of antifreeze if you mix it yourself, or 3 gallons if you use the 50/50 mix.
the manual says 9.9 quarts

colour

Buick Ownership
Buick
To do a complete coolant flush you have to drain what's left in the engine block. Drain radiator, fill with water, turn blower on high heat, run until thermostat opens, drain radiator, fill 50/50. Problem is you still have water in the block unless drained diluting the antifreeze slightly more depending how much is left in the block. Normally not a big deal, been doing it that way for years. The petcock is almost always on the driver's side, might be an allen or square plug that needs a tool to remove if it's not easily visible. The Lacrosse may have an air bleeder, don't know.

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
I just did a home drain, flush and fill of the engine coolant on our 2010 CXS. First, the drain valve is on the passenger side of the radiator. It is easiest to get at if the air flow trim piece is loosened.

I bought 10 gallon bottles of deionized water to use as a repeating flush. Drain, fill with water, run until hot, and repeat. While the drained coolant became more and more pale, it never actually became clear.

Then, I was left with the problem of where to dispose of eleven gallons of coolant. There is no recycling facility in the Tennessee county in which we live. None of the dealers, repair shops or parts stores would take this off my hands. I will not tell you what I did do with it because I do not want Big Government or some tree hugging group to show up on my door step. This is the biggest problem given today's more sensative environmental attitude.

Having done it myself, I would now recommend strongly that you consider having a dealership perform a true power flush even though I consider the cost to be exhorbatent.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
My intention was always to do the radiator drain and refill, I probably should have not used the term "flush" in my thread title.

Thanks for the information on the petcock.

Our town accepts used coolant at the hazardous waste depot so I am covered on that end:thumpsup:

I just did a home drain, flush and fill of the engine coolant on our 2010 CXS. First, the drain valve is on the passenger side of the radiator. It is easiest to get at if the air flow trim piece is loosened.

I bought 10 gallon bottles of deionized water to use as a repeating flush. Drain, fill with water, run until hot, and repeat. While the drained coolant became more and more pale, it never actually became clear.

Then, I was left with the problem of where to dispose of eleven gallons of coolant. There is no recycling facility in the Tennessee county in which we live. None of the dealers, repair shops or parts stores would take this off my hands. I will not tell you what I did do with it because I do not want Big Government or some tree hugging group to show up on my door step. This is the biggest problem given today's more sensative environmental attitude.

Having done it myself, I would now recommend strongly that you consider having a dealership perform a true power flush even though I consider the cost to be exhorbatent.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Update

I finally got to do this today. It is relatively straightforward, biggest obstacle was removing three bolts of the air dam (after putting the front end on ramps) to get to the petcock. After that it was easy, drained as much old coolant as possible and refilled with new. It seems weird that I didn't have to make the car "burp" - I guess it will happen while driving lol.

jspatola

Medford, Ma
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse CXS Touring Red Jewel Tintcoat, 2011 Regal Turbo Espresso Bronze
Re: Update

Hi Max How are your radiator and heater hoses holding up? There are all kinds of conflicting reports on the net as to when the hose and thermostat should be changed. I'm due for my coolant change next month and so far hoses look good.
John Spatola

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Re: Update

my car is just approaching six years now and the hoses look fine to me - I don't believe you need to change the thermostat this soon, my other car's thermostat is nine years old and works fine

Hi Max How are your radiator and heater hoses holding up? There are all kinds of conflicting reports on the net as to when the hose and thermostat should be changed. I'm due for my coolant change next month and so far hoses look good.
John Spatola

brunooro

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse CX 2010
Update

I finally got to do this today. It is relatively straightforward, biggest obstacle was removing three bolts of the air dam (after putting the front end on ramps) to get to the petcock. After that it was easy, drained as much old coolant as possible and refilled with new. It seems weird that I didn't have to make the car "burp" - I guess it will happen while driving lol.
I am kind of struggling to find it and I got the same model as yours, could you explain me where is the petcock? did you also released the hose?

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
I am kind of struggling to find it and I got the same model as yours, could you explain me where is the petcock? did you also released the hose?
Were you able to open the air damn to see the petcock? You need to crawl under the car to see if I remember correctly.

brunooro

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse CX 2010
I have been under without removing the air dam.....should probably do that on wednesday....do you remember which side is it? thanks for answering!

Pedal Commander