• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant leak 2010 3.0L Lacrosse

endorf

Buick Ownership
park avenue
My sister ran the car after it overheated. There is a bad coolant leak that appears to be coming from under the intake manifold. It is running along the block where it meets the head on the drivers side. There is also water coming from under the car on the passenger side, but am unable to see its origination. I know some of the engines have an issue with the intake manifoldleaking but could not find any info about the 3.0L. I will take the manifold off if I have to, but was hoping there was some info I need to know about this. I am hoping it is not a cracked head or head gasket.

endorf

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Update. After digging further I found the quick connector that is on the coolant air bleeder hose and connects to the thermostat housing is broken. I cannot seem to find this part online, All I can find is the tubing which does not come with the connector. The dealership is a good drive away so I am trying to avoid it. If anyone has any info on what this is called or even better a part number. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get on this. This is a picture of the part . It has the letter F on one side and the number 8 on the other. Thank you all.

Attachments

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Update. After digging further I found the quick connector that is on the coolant air bleeder hose and connects to the thermostat housing is broken. I cannot seem to find this part online, All I can find is the tubing which does not come with the connector. The dealership is a good drive away so I am trying to avoid it. If anyone has any info on what this is called or even better a part number. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get on this. This is a picture of the part . It has the letter F on one side and the number 8 on the other. Thank you all.
2010 Buick LaCrosse
3.0 V6 129K Miles

Hi endorf,

I may have a workaround you could try. Not sure if your issue involved the same broken GM connector but going by your details it
may be. I used a piece of fuel line hose (3/4" diameter, I think) to sub for the proprietary GM hose/connectors. See the attached photos.
I used adjustable hose clamps on each end of the connection. Had trouble getting it to be 100% leak free, but it beats paying the
$36 that GM parts direct was asking for the replacement part (not including their pirate shipping fee). Hope this helps.

Attachments

endorf

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Rider 47,
Thank you for that info. It was actually 5/16 inside diameter and I got 3 feet of it. If I were to do it again I would get a little more because it is a fairly tight fit. I was able to get the hose over the bump in the nipple of the thermostat housing so I could get the clamp on the inside of it. It took a little loosening up with a screwdriver to make the hose a little wider and some muscle to push it on, but it finally went. This worked, but unfortunatly there is still a small amount of water coming out from under the intake manifold on the drivers side. Next step is to take off the intake manifold and have a look.
Thanks again.

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry I got the I.D. wrong but glad you figured it out. I t was hard for me to guess the working length of hose I needed. I just gave it my best
guess cause ya got to snake it through a lot of stuff. I have been dealing with a small amount of leakage for several months so I just got
in the habit of topping of the surge tank on occasion. I'm guessing over time the engine heat might cause the rubber to bond a little
better to the end fittings. My coolant loss seems to be dropping off as the rubber hose gets a little age on it.

endorf

Buick Ownership
park avenue
Update. Final outcome. The car was still leaking a little bit of coolant. I used a NAPA block leak tester and found there was an exhaust leak into the coolant. It seemed to be minor, so I did a very thurough flush on the system and added some Blue Devil block sealer. I am not a fan of mechanic in a bottle, but figured I would give it a try as my sister does not have the money to do major repairs. To my shock, it worked. I retested with the block leak tester and it showed no leak. There are some videos on utube that show the process. Thanks again for the help.

rider47

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Update. Final outcome. The car was still leaking a little bit of coolant. I used a NAPA block leak tester and found there was an exhaust leak into the coolant. It seemed to be minor, so I did a very thurough flush on the system and added some Blue Devil block sealer. I am not a fan of mechanic in a bottle, but figured I would give it a try as my sister does not have the money to do major repairs. To my shock, it worked. I retested with the block leak tester and it showed no leak. There are some videos on utube that show the process. Thanks again for the help.
Good tip on NAPA block leak tester and Blue Devil Sealer. I'll check out the YouTube videos. Thanks.