Cooling fan question

Buickmom2020

Buick Ownership
2003 rendezvous
Hi! I have a 2003 buick rendezvous and I was wondering if you know, do the cooling fans turn on without the air conditioning being on?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
The fans will turn on at a certain temperature. With my Riviera, that temperature is about 210*. In stop and go driving, my temperature will creep up to that point at which time, the fans come on and it drops down to about 190* With the A/C on, the fans are on full time.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi! I have a 2003 buick rendezvous and I was wondering if you know, do the cooling fans turn on without the air conditioning being on?
Years ago vehicles had the fan blades connected to the serpentine belts. So they ran when you started the car. Now most have a fan coolant sensor in the engine block. When the engine gets to about 220 in my car the fans come on..that is why you have a notice on your radiator saying be careful fans can come on at any time. You do not want your fingers down there. Also you may walk by someone's car in a parking lot and you hear a humming but nobody is around the car. The fans came on.....todays radiators are good at keeping the car at 195 when moving and air coming into the radiator that the fans seldom come on. This is a good reason to change the coolant I say every 24 months!! Just me. In stop and go traffic on hot days that coolant can get to 220 and your fans come on. Sometimes I yes turn the heat on full blast to cool my old beast down. It works....cheers!

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Years ago vehicles had the fan blades connected to the serpentine belts. So they ran when you started the car. Now most have a fan coolant sensor in the engine block. When the engine gets to about 220 in my car the fans come on..that is why you have a notice on your radiator saying be careful fans can come on at any time. You do not want your fingers down there. Also you may walk by someone's car in a parking lot and you hear a humming but nobody is around the car. The fans came on.....todays radiators are good at keeping the car at 195 when moving and air coming into the radiator that the fans seldom come on. This is a good reason to change the coolant I say every 24 months!! Just me. In stop and go traffic on hot days that coolant can get to 220 and your fans come on. Sometimes I yes turn the heat on full blast to cool my old beast down. It works....cheers!
In heavy stop and go traffic I just keep the A/C on.

MrEdog

Buick Ownership
2006 Buick Rendezvous CS
In heavy stop and go traffic I just keep the A/C on.
yeah but ive noticed the A/C has a hard time keeping cool when the vehicle is stopped. I personally like the serpentine belt-fans better for A/C... but for normal usage its nice to have auto fans.

If the car ever gets to hot, turn that heater on. the heater core has another radiator in it, so it acts like a double radiator cooling ur coolant off much quicker. but id hate to be on a 100degree+ day and run the heater lol

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
yeah but ive noticed the A/C has a hard time keeping cool when the vehicle is stopped. I personally like the serpentine belt-fans better for A/C... but for normal usage its nice to have auto fans.

If the car ever gets to hot, turn that heater on. the heater core has another radiator in it, so it acts like a double radiator cooling ur coolant off much quicker. but id hate to be on a 100degree+ day and run the heater lol
My last car: a 1997 Olds 88, stayed nice and cool in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic in Brooklyn. As long as the A/C is properly charged it's no problem. My commute took an hour and a half to cover 25 miles and the only time my car started to run hot was when a large piece of plastic got caught in one of the fans otherwise it ran at about 200 degrees.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!