Coronavirus talk broken off from another discussion

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
There are reports saying that someone recovered and then got it again. Therefore I am not sure getting well will then have nothing to worry about.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I've heard of one such case--there may be more--but there are at least two strains of the virus out there (both have the same symptoms, but one seems to show the symptoms sooner) so perhaps catching one of them confers no immunity against the second, or worse case, if your body's immune system isn't developing antibodies to the coronavirus, that puts a big damper on developing a vaccine against it. Time will tell--so keep your distance, avoid crowds and (if in Chicago) stay behind something bulletproof.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Yesterday I was driving by one of my former customers NTN in Elgin IL. If it's not a familiar name they are the largest vehicle wheel bearing mfg in North America and supply Ford, FCA, MB, Honda, VW, Toyota and Subaru with GM being a exception.

It was a completely empty at all 3 building, they normally run 3 shifts M-F along with Saturday / Sunday skeleton crews, I'll assume that the other two buildings for inbound components and outbound finished goods were the same. This NTN location only customer is the automotive industry, they have a sister company that also supplies them components along with all of the vendors, it's something to be mindful of as replacement and/or service parts that were not in inventory will be having long or in some cases longer wait times. The lean manufacturing process, just in time type of business model wasn't designed to compensate for something at this level so be prepared, understanding and be open to looking at the used part market if it's a must have part.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
If things couldn't get stranger, Elgin IL a suburb of Chicago is having the former Sherman Hospital turned into a temporary overflow facility to ease the COVID-19 cases strain on area hospitals. It was used in 2010 for scenes in the movie “Contagion”.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Art imitating life on a new scale, saw that in Chicago Tribune and needed to read it twice just to make sure.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Yes sir! The next few weeks are someday, we all have stuff that's been put off and going to get to it someday.

If cleaning out the garage and you have "someday" tires sitting around, well it's time to use them to update your man cave.
uses-for-old-tires-dumpaday-3.jpg 1433258292-56d1709bcea6be41d95d6b9796642aa4__605.jpg 100-diy-furniture-from-car-tires-tire-recycling-56-362.jpg 100-diy-furniture-from-car-tires-tire-recycling-28-362.jpg

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Stumbled in to this, yes there's opinions on both sides, but also reminded me of a movie The Gumball Rally. I saw it when it first came out and now that I have the time and poor weather conditions I may just have to watch it again.
Watched it (again) last month--the line that has stuck with me all these years:

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Stay at home. Well getting in the vehicle and taking it out for a long spin to get the battery up to spec, not being in contact with others, I really can't think of a better way to get away from the cabin fever that most may be feeling. Part of the news that seems to be omitted is crude oil prices and this morning (see the screenshot) $11.82 you need to go back almost 20 years to see those.
Screenshot_20200428-075826.jpg

Benzadmiral

2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Speaking of movies and TV shows: Last week Heroes & Icons ran an episode of The Dead Zone from 2003. In case you don't know, this was a USA series from '02 to '07, taking the character of Johnny Smith from the Stephen King novel and the '80s movie and giving him a variety of new adventures after he awakens from his accident coma with psychic powers.

The story was called "Plague," and features Johnny's vision that a terrible disease will get loose and start killing children first in Maine and then in the entire world. The relevance to this discussion and our modern world: The disease is discovered to be a coronavirus "like SARS," and the treatment is a malaria specific -- called chloroquine. Writers Jeremy Bernstein and Jill Blotevogel clearly did their homework, 17 years early. . . .

(I recommend the series very highly. If you only know Anthony Michael Hall from his nerd days in Pretty in Pink and other fluff, you will be astonished at his mature performance as Johnny Smith. And the stories are well done.)

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Sigh...can't even tell the difference between "your" and "you're". That tells me a lot about that person in the blue t-shirt...(Not to mention the fact that they don't even pronounce the same FFS!)

Turbo Buick Badge