Correctly adjusted mirrors in your car........

MikeC725

Northville, MI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
On my way home last night I was going around one of the biggest round a bouts in Michigan. I was in the middle lane headed West wanting to go South. As traffic cleared I proceeded west and as I approaching the west exit, my lane had the option of going west or south, I looked in my mirror and the S10 to my left(inside lane) was starting to come into my lane.
I don't know what the driver was doing, so I kept going straight so I didn't' get hit. Because I could see her front right bumper inches from my left rear quarter. As I was looking in my mirror, the S10 went all the way across into my lane and almost hit the snow bank. So if I wasn't paying attention to my mirrors, the poor Buick would have been hit pretty good. I managed to turn around and head home. I caught up the the S10 at a traffic light, it was a woman maybe in her 30's, she was driving with both hands on the wheel, so I don't know what she was doing. I was on a 4 lane divided road now, and I could see here kinda swerving, changing lanes quite erratically. So I just stayed away from her.

Point to this little heart racing moment........Keep you mirrors adjusted properly to see traffic at all times. I have mine set up so that I don't have any blind spots. When a car is in my rear view mirror, as it approaches either side of the mirror, it will then appear in the side mirror. When it starts to disappear in the side mirror, I can then see the front of the vehicle next to me.

Attachments

• WTF.gif
    WTF.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 195

wierz11

AZ
Buick Ownership
E92 M3, E46 330, E24 635CSi
I always use this. Why the hell do I need to see the side of my car, anyways? SAE approved, how mirrors SHOULD be used.

MikeC725

Northville, MI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
Awesome pic. That's exactly how I have to adjust my mirrors every Monday......:blink: As my wife and I switch cars. No memory seats/mirrors are a pain in the (__!__).

wierz11

AZ
Buick Ownership
E92 M3, E46 330, E24 635CSi
Tell me about it. I never have to adjust in my car (as my fiancee doesn't know manual, only seat when I go to the dealer), but my fiancee's 2002 BMW has memory seats/mirrors. It took 12 model years for us to get that :mad:

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
The other awesome bennifit of this mirror aiming technique is that if the car behind you is driving with their high-beams on at night, your center mounted rear view mirror can dim and you are not still being blinded by your driver's side view mirror since it's pointed into your 'blind spot' and not behind you.

If you have not tried this mirror aiming before, try it, but give it a good week or two to get used to it. Most hate it at first, but you quickly get used to it and then wonder how you drove without it.

I've been in some rental cars where I couldn't aim the left side mirror 'out' far enough. That might be enough for me to not buy a particular car. The mirror on the Regal goes just barely out far enough for where I sit.

MikeC725

Northville, MI
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
The other awesome bennifit of this mirror aiming technique is that if the car behind you is driving with their high-beams on at night, your center mounted rear view mirror can dim and you are not still being blinded by your driver's side view mirror since it's pointed into your 'blind spot' and not behind you.

If you have not tried this mirror aiming before, try it, but give it a good week or two to get used to it. Most hate it at first, but you quickly get used to it and then wonder how you drove without it.

I've been in some rental cars where I couldn't aim the left side mirror 'out' far enough. That might be enough for me to not buy a particular car. The mirror on the Regal goes just barely out far enough for where I sit.

Good point Walt!

IndyGS

Indianapolis, IN
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS
Speaking of mirrors, does anyone else get the sensation that they are constantly being tailgated in this car? When I actually look in the mirror, I can see that they are plenty far behind me. But if I'm just seeing that someone is there in my peripheral vision, it always feels like they're right on me. This must be due to some combination of the rearview mirror being smaller than it was in my previous vehicle, and being lower to the ground compared the SUV I was driving before.

I also sometimes get the sensation that that someone is merging into my lane as I'm passing them. There seems to be a slight bit of distortion at the far outside edge of the windshield that "bends" the image of the car, making it look like it's merging. This is also probably aggravated by being lower to the ground.

Tlager31

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T
Speaking of mirrors, does anyone else get the sensation that they are constantly being tailgated in this car?

People just want to get a better look at your sharp looking car. ;)

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
My problem with the driving sightlines of the Regal is twofold. First, I keep thinking the tail is much closer to objects I'm backing toward than it really is. The slope of the rear glass distorts my view a bit. (I wish I had the Rear Parking Assist.) Second, I seem to have trouble parking it straight, as between parking lines in a lot. I think I've parked straight, I get out, and see that the car's position is a little skewed. Maybe there's something about the lines of the door panel inserts being curved, causing an optical illusion? I didn't have this problem, at least not often, with the Park Avenue and its straight door panels.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of mirrors, does anyone else get the sensation that they are constantly being tailgated in this car? . . .
I do . . . but I suspect it's at least partly because the drivers here are impatient idiots.

eminelo

Spokane Valley, WA
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal turbo
Drivers side-head on glass until you can barely see your car, passenger- head over center console until you can barely see your car. Then adjust up and down as needed. This works in pretty much every vehicle, and eliminates blind spots.

Last edited:

RegalGSLover

Buick Ownership
Buick
On my way home last night I was going around one of the biggest round a bouts in Michigan. I was in the middle lane headed West wanting to go South. As traffic cleared I proceeded west and as I approaching the west exit, my lane had the option of going west or south, I looked in my mirror and the S10 to my left(inside lane) was starting to come into my lane.
I don't know what the driver was doing, so I kept going straight so I didn't' get hit. Because I could see her front right bumper inches from my left rear quarter. As I was looking in my mirror, the S10 went all the way across into my lane and almost hit the snow bank. So if I wasn't paying attention to my mirrors, the poor Buick would have been hit pretty good. I managed to turn around and head home. I caught up the the S10 at a traffic light, it was a woman maybe in her 30's, she was driving with both hands on the wheel, so I don't know what she was doing. I was on a 4 lane divided road now, and I could see here kinda swerving, changing lanes quite erratically. So I just stayed away from her.

Point to this little heart racing moment........Keep you mirrors adjusted properly to see traffic at all times. I have mine set up so that I don't have any blind spots. When a car is in my rear view mirror, as it approaches either side of the mirror, it will then appear in the side mirror. When it starts to disappear in the side mirror, I can then see the front of the vehicle next to me.

I highly recommend that if you ever see someone driving erratically like that, you should call the highway patrol immediately and report the vehicle and location. More than likely the woman was intoxicated.

Good info on the mirrors. I will be adjusting mine accordingly.

QSilverGS

Holland, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 GS, 2006 Rendezvous
I've been using the mirrors like this since you guys posted the info. Thanks a ton, it's been really helpful more than once! I'm finally getting used to the different perspective looking out the passenger side and been able to watch traffic sneaking into that blind spot ala I - 294 / Chi-town-style. Why can't you folks just drive fast & straight! Peace!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!