• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Could be end for our Verano?

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Got rear-ended today at a stoplight by a semi. We both were at a standstill but he thought the light had changed to green and he hit the gas. Only thing is the left turn lane turned green (not our lane) and I was still stopped and waiting for the light to change. Quite a bit of damage - buckling both rear quarters. The car was in great shape and we love it - but with 105K miles, I am not sure how the math will work.

The truck driver does not want me to go through insurance - said he will pay. I told him the damage is likely more than he thinks - not to mention that leaves me no retribution should there be a repair and find future issues. We were not planning to be looking for new cars...but we'll see how much the damage calculates out to.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I hope you called the police and will have access to an accident report.
By all means report it immediately to your insurance company to cover yourself.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Yes..I phoned the PD and they came out filled out an accident report. I have a feeling the truck was cited as they let me go and asked him to stick around.

Spoke to my insurance company. They suggested I get an estimate and work with Trucking Company insurance on a claim as the deductible would then be covered. I was surprised because in the past I worked the claim through my insurer but they pursued the other company for the deductible and reimbursed me. May have taken a few months but got it. Guess now they want you (the insured) to do the work.

I stopped by the shop I have used for repairs in the past. He is working an estimate but said likely $7-8K from eyeballing it. Given the KBB is $7800 for a private sale and less on trade, it does not look promising. Shame because we love the car.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Would be shocked if they don't total it.
Typically if the cost of repairs exceed 2/3 to 3/4 value of the vehicle it will be totalled.
I know that vehicle age and mileage also come into play in their determination.

Obviously, trucking company or it's insurance company should be covering everything since their driver was at fault.

Lastly... I have also caught myself a few times over the years in almost jumping a red-light when setting next to a left turn green. But only when I was 1st in line, never when behind somebody.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Yes..I phoned the PD and they came out filled out an accident report. I have a feeling the truck was cited as they let me go and asked him to stick around.

Spoke to my insurance company. They suggested I get an estimate and work with Trucking Company insurance on a claim as the deductible would then be covered. I was surprised because in the past I worked the claim through my insurer but they pursued the other company for the deductible and reimbursed me. May have taken a few months but got it. Guess now they want you (the insured) to do the work.

I stopped by the shop I have used for repairs in the past. He is working an estimate but said likely $7-8K from eyeballing it. Given the KBB is $7800 for a private sale and less on trade, it does not look promising. Shame because we love the car.
I agree that it is strange they want you to deal with the other parties insurance company, that's your company's job. Especially in this case since you got hit in the back, totally the other drivers fault. Good luck.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Thanks. Got the estimate last night and looks like $8100 damage. Frustrated that Liberty Mutual pushed me off too. I have been a customer for years and my Regal was damaged last year by a box flying out the back of a pickup. Service was not great for that claim either. It may be time to shop for other options once this is done.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Oh yeah... Automobile Insurance Companies. That's a whole can of worms right there.
You can interview 10 people who all have the same insurance company and all 10 will have a different opinion and experience.

I have had the same Insurance Company (State Farm Home and Auto) for 43 years.... Yikes, that a long time.
I have only had good experiences with them with no problems in coverage or claims. But I have friends and family that have had bad experiences with State Farm. Go figure...

Good Luck and I hope this doesn't become a PITA to deal with.

Onlygm

Buick Ownership
2013 buick verano
I have read a lot of post regarding problems with the intellelink screens going black and coming back on and the dealer not finding any problems. Well my 2013 verano started the same thing and a couple weeks later the a/c started cutting on and off with the radio screen. Couple weeks later the engine started cutting off and right back on along with the other problems. Took it to dealer had bcm replaced. That fixed nothing. So I started checking fuses, relays under hood. Went to check nuts on the cables and fuse block that sits on top of the battery. Noticed that the positive cable was getting so hot you could not touch it. Took back to dealer and pointed that out to them and had them run an electrical diagnostic test. They found I was loosing voltage at the positive cable and the fuse link. Had them change positive and negative cables along with the complete fuse block. Been driving for a week now and have not had anymore problems. Hope I can help some folks with this info since the dealers can't seem to find the solution on their own. Good luck

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Sadly, the Verano was indeed declared a total loss and the salvage company will be picking it up in the coming days. After a painful start with the the other party's insurance company, things began to move quickly and we reached a fair settlement.

Sad to see the Verano go as it was a very good car. 105K miles and only non-maintenance issue was the leather in the rear seat. The seat bottom leather began to blister after about two years and replaced under warranty. She was a mini-sleeper and we loved the quickness. Sometimes bad things happen to good cars.

Last edited:

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Glad to hear that the Insurance Company did what it is supposed to do.
Also good to hear that your Verano was trouble free for over 100,000miles, hoping mine will be the same. So far it has, but just tle over 40,000 miles doesn't really count. And I also love that 2.0l Turbo!

Thanks for posting your final outcome. It's good to know the end of a story.

Pedal Commander