• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Curious to know what you guys would do...

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
We found and bought a 2016 Encore, certified, with only 7000 miles on it. Sounds great and woohoo!
Dealer told us about doing the welcome call with OnStar. We tried - several times to no avail. Called the OnStar technical support people, No go. The OnStar would not connect via satellite. Took it to the dealer and they tried. Same thing. Scheduled the required service and we're informed that the OnStar module is defective and they had to order one.

My issue: This vehicle was supposedly certified. If the OnStar module was bad, they should have found it.
What bothers me is, WHAT ELSE DID THEY MISS?

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
For a Dealership to advertise "Certified" used cars means nothing. Your buying a used car that at best they might have changed the oil or glued some outside trim back on because you might notice it falling off.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Don't sweat it. It's covered under warranty. It will get fixed. Just because it's certified doesn't mean that everything is perfect. And it used despite the low miles. FWIW, I find OnStar a waste of money. After the initial trial ran out we cancelled it.

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Onstar round 2. Got the defective module replaced (and was asked to pay the $300 bill), installed the MyBuick app.
My fully activated vehicle shows up as "connected services capable". No vehicle information available other than the very basic stuff. No remote access, nothing like that.
Onstar is not going to hit a home run in this house. In fact, I'm ready to call and terminate it now...in a vehicle we've had a couple weeks and Onstar that has "worked" only 3 days.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Onstar round 2. Got the defective module replaced (and was asked to pay the $300 bill)
Gee I hope you didn't pay that. GM Certified vehicles have a 12 month/12k mile bumper to bumper warranty. I had two minor issues fixed during that first 12k at no cost. They should have given you paperwork to show that it was certified. I'd call Buick customer service.

Vehicle Maintenance & Warranties | GM Certified Pre-Owned

OldWhiteChevy

I second what DocBrown said: I don't think OnStar is worth it. I had it on my '12 Cruze for a while, but decided to just dump it and use AAA.

BTW, if you decide to continue with OnStar, don't just put it on auto-renew at the regular monthly rate. Instead, do a search for "OnStar promo codes" or something like that and you'll find a lot deals that save some serious $$ over the "official" price. And if you call their customer service, you can usually haggle the price down considerably.

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
We activated it with a VISA gift card with $0.12 on it.
Go ahead and autocharge us......

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
That's awesome!