Custom Sub Woofer Install

2012_GS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
To anyone interested in a possible Sub woofer install, here's what we did:
Since the GS does not come with a spare tire and Jack, we utilized the extra room. Creating a sub woofer enclosure that houses the woofer and sits in the empty spare tire well and fires downward. It raises the floor of trunk about 3 inches, but leaves a clean look and still allows you to use the majority of your trunk space with out having a bulky sub box constantly in the way.

Details:
Sub: JL Audio 12w3
Amp: 1000 watt Mono block
Box: 1'' MDF w/ carpet
Did not want to drill holes into any of the side panels, so for now we mounted the bass knob on the center compartment. However it is out of the way and nicely hidden. Also Hush matted the entire trunk and exhaust shields, for a nice tight vibration/rattle free sound.

rjtjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
that looks amazing! nice work

RevJohnnyVegas

DFW, Texas
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Looks great. No go for me though. We have donuts in our Turbos which I want to keep for emergencies.
I really wish the GS had a spare. I need to find a spare, or some solution better than the can of fix a flat Buick gives GS owners.

GottWhat

Shelby Township, MI
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo (T06)
OP - awesome work! Did you consider mounting the amp on the side or back of the seats?

Looks great. No go for me though. We have donuts in our Turbos which I want to keep for emergencies.
I really wish the GS had a spare. I need to find a spare, or some solution better than the can of fix a flat Buick gives GS owners.
Knock on wood, but when was the last time you guys got a flat? Personally, I would be fine without a spare tire.

Last edited:

goobee

Sunny California
Buick Ownership
2011 Opel Insignia CXL T07
I pick up nails and screws way too often to trust a can of fix a flat. Also, it doesn't take much to bend a 19" or 20" wheel and if you lose the bead seal, no amount of fix a flat is going to help you.

Ct'sBuickGuy

CT | 860
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
You can buy a spare for an arm and a leg, dealer cost if over $200 for the spare on an eassist lacrosse so I would guess the GM would be the same.

On another note if you know you have no spare and tell gm roadside, they should pay for the flat bed

2012_GS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
OP - awesome work! Did you consider mounting the amp on the side or back of the seats?

Knock on wood, but when was the last time you guys got a flat? Personally, I would be fine without a spare tire.
Hi... Yeah I really did consider that, but this way the amp is flush w/ no wires showing. I won't have to worry about luggage or anything bumping it or hitting the wires. Also the way it is installed, it is actually 2 parts. Therefore, I can take the box and woofer out (as 1 unit) with the press of 2 buttons and Leaving behind the concealed amp and wires. When ready... just connect the pos and neg cables back to the box, drop it back in and all done!
Thanks for looking!!

2012_GS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Haha... Yeah!

RevJohnnyVegas

DFW, Texas
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS

I've had two in the past year actually, both related to debris on the road, as best as I can tell.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
I get coupons in the mail from my Buick dealer all the time, I'm looking at one right now that says 10% off Genuine GM Accessories. That brings that spare tire and jack setup down to $450.

Also, you can often find coupons on your dealer's website. Here's a link to my dealer's website where they currently have a 20% off accessories coupon which brings the price down to $400.

Still fairly nasty numbers but it might be worth someone's piece of mind.

papoman3

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
To anyone interested in a possible Sub woofer install, here's what we did:
Since the GS does not come with a spare tire and Jack, we utilized the extra room. Creating a sub woofer enclosure that houses the woofer and sits in the empty spare tire well and fires downward. It raises the floor of trunk about 3 inches, but leaves a clean look and still allows you to use the majority of your trunk space with out having a bulky sub box constantly in the way.

Details:
Sub: JL Audio 12w3
Amp: 1000 watt Mono block
Box: 1'' MDF w/ carpet
Did not want to drill holes into any of the side panels, so for now we mounted the bass knob on the center compartment. However it is out of the way and nicely hidden. Also Hush matted the entire trunk and exhaust shields, for a nice tight vibration/rattle free sound.
Do you Have pictures of this? Thanks in advance

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.