• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Dash Lights

buick747

Buick Newbie
Orlando
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne
I recently purchased a 2007 Lucerne CXL, love it so far. One problem I have noticed, and after going through all the threads I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, is that the dash lights don't come on all the time during the day. The gauges should be back lit so you can see them during the day. My speedometer is very hard to read and the temp gauge is almost impossible to read because of how it is inset. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up, I searched for a TSB and found some info and a lot of complaints about this. Have anyone else had this problem, if so, was it resolved?

Detroit, USA
I recently purchased a 2007 Lucerne CXL, love it so far. One problem I have noticed, and after going through all the threads I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, is that the dash lights don't come on all the time during the day. The gauges should be back lit so you can see them during the day. My speedometer is very hard to read and the temp gauge is almost impossible to read because of how it is inset. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up, I searched for a TSB and found some info and a lot of complaints about this. Have anyone else had this problem, if so, was it resolved?
Hello buick747,

Please let me know if you would like to arrange an appointment at your local dealership for an appointment with our technicians. They would be happy to assist! Please feel free to send a private message at any time.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Silver3Holer

Buick Newbie
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne
The Dash Lights are not/were not intended to go on in daylight driving... Poor design decision, as they are needed to see instruments, especially when wearing sunglasses... One option is to cover daylight sensor in center of dash panel by defroster vent, and then headlights and taillights and dash lights will be on all the time.. Car no longer will run with Daytime Running Headlights at reduced power.. A better option would be a fix from Buick to re-connect dash lights to a fuse in panel that is hot whenever ignition is on, so dash will be visible whenever you are driving... (There have been safety complaints to Federal Govt about this issue as noted...) Any dealer fix for this problem Jessica??

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
The Dash Lights are not/were not intended to go on in daylight driving... Poor design decision, as they are needed to see instruments, especially when wearing sunglasses... Any dealer fix for this problem Jessica??
NONSENSE. My Lucerne dash lights brighten in the day, and I can easily see them with some pretty heavy duty sun glasses on. If they do not brighten, something is wrong. (sensor malfuction) Asking Jessica for anything other than hooking you up with a dealer in your area, is a useless waste if time.

Detroit, USA
Hi Silver3Holer,

I understand how this can be frustrating. As our customer care department is unable to provide technical advice, we do recommend speaking with your local dealership. In the meantime, if you would like to provide us with your VIN through a private message, we can check for any other information through our internal resources.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

The Dash Lights are not/were not intended to go on in daylight driving... Poor design decision, as they are needed to see instruments, especially when wearing sunglasses... One option is to cover daylight sensor in center of dash panel by defroster vent, and then headlights and taillights and dash lights will be on all the time.. Car no longer will run with Daytime Running Headlights at reduced power.. A better option would be a fix from Buick to re-connect dash lights to a fuse in panel that is hot whenever ignition is on, so dash will be visible whenever you are driving... (There have been safety complaints to Federal Govt about this issue as noted...) Any dealer fix for this problem Jessica??

Silver3Holer

Buick Newbie
Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne
I tried to send private message to Jessica, but message box was overflowing...

I am aware of consumer complaints filed with NHTSA and others about dark/hard to read gauges in Lucerne dash. At least in 2006 and 2007, the dash lights only came on when full headlights and taillights were activated, not during daylight hours. It would be an easy (less than a couple dollars) fix to develop a jumper connector for fuse box to light dash lights whenever the ignition was on, as suggested above... It isn't about the rheostat used to dim the lights either, as there is simply no power to dash lights unless light sensor turns on brights..

If Buick has developed a fix like that, I'd love to hear about it... (and don't need another form reminder to contact my dealer.. They have told me consistently that Buick has not issued a fix to activate dash lights during daylight hours...)

Pedal Commander